Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photography quotes - are the outrageous or is it just me?

I have emailed several photographers and have all gotten back about the same price ... $4K for the most basic package they have. 
They pretty much all include
10 hours
2 photographers
editing
DVD of pictures
engagement session (no DVD)

Even when I looked into Bella Pictures it came close to $4.4K for no engagement session and 2 photographers for 10 hours.

I realize I probably don't need 10 hours of photography, but I just feel like these quotes are hugeeee compared to what I was expecting.  Is it something I'm just going to have to suck up and pay for or am I being grossly over priced?

Thanks for the advice ladies :)

Re: Photography quotes - are the outrageous or is it just me?

• Honestly you get what you pay for.  If you want an amazing photographer it will cost.  The prices that seem "high" to you keep the their business alive. Prices are based off of experience, quality of work, and demand. Professional photographers use the highest quality of digital cameras, lens, and other equipment.  They have back-up equipment so that nothing will stop them from getting the best pictures for your day.  

After your day they make sure that all of your pictures are backed up to insure their safety. Editing and editing software is also not cheap.  Photographers are only able to take on certian number of clients each year to ensure their clients have their top priority. Also, the cost of just running a business isn't cheap (you can thank governemnt taxes and insurance for that one)

That package is actually a pretty good deal.  Yes you can get some for cheaper than that, but I wouldn't gamble for wedding pictures. 

I personally am paying 5250 for:
    10 hours
    1 photographer
    editing
    DVD of pictures
    a day after session
  • The prices you're getting are about right, especially considering that it looks like you're in Boston, which is one of the most expensive areas in the country.  That said, you definitely can negotiate if $4K just isn't in your budget.  To start with, unless you're having over 200 guests, you definitely, definitely do not need 2 photographers - at most, you might need a photog and an assistant.  Also, you could cut down on the number of hours you have the photographer for - realistically, you probably only need the photog for 6ish hours (1 hour of pics with bridal party/family, 1ish hour for ceremony, 4 hour reception). 

Finally, ask around on your local board for recommendations for photographers who are self-employed - someone who is working for him/herself is likely to have more flexibility when it comes to pricing than a big company will  (for example, we met with a self-employed photog who worked out of his house who was offering a photography AND videography package for only $3K total).
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • For me the photos are really one of the top priorities I was just amazed by how much it was going to cost me.  I just wanted to make sure I was getting quotes that were appropriate.  Going with a national company just makes me nervous for whatever reason.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_photography-quotes-are-the-outrageous-or-is-it-just-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:85beae01-0b72-469a-9847-f44cfe70599cPost:c5a9a707-d114-4573-a131-8293fe0b96d2">Re: Photography quotes - are the outrageous or is it just me?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As I know,  you can change a package filling in most cases. You can send your list of services what you want to get from photographer  or in same cases put your price.Look this for example -REMOVED
    Posted by Oxa[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm.... your username is "Oxa" and you link to "REMOVED," and all of your posts are (a) about photography; and (b) include the link to the same business.  You're clearly a vendor, and vendors aren't allowed to post on these boards.  Reported.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • It all depends on what you want.  For $2500, we're getting:
    2 photographers for 6 hrs
    $200 printing credit
    editing
    all pics on a CD
    rights  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For Boston (or any other major city) $4k for all of that is actually an amazing deal with a professional photographer. I am sure however, that you can probably talk the photographer into removing unwanted/unneeded items to reduce the cost a bit to get it to a rate you are more comfortable with.
  • The Boston board has a recent post about national photographers versus locals. You might want to check it out...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_photography-quotes-are-the-outrageous-or-is-it-just-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:85beae01-0b72-469a-9847-f44cfe70599cPost:0aa090a9-91af-46de-859f-15251bcf04dc">Re: Photography quotes - are the outrageous or is it just me?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Photography quotes - are the outrageous or is it just me? : Just pretend I said all that.  Oh, and reported. ETA:  Steph, you might want to edit your post to remove her business name.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

<div>Good call, Lucy.  Done.</div>
    imagemy to-read shelf:
  • for 10 hours that sounds about right, because of labour laws here, most photographers who work anything more then 8 hours do a flat rate 10 hours, rather then by the hour. (since they are going to double the extra for every hour over 8 and it looks bad when trying to market)

An 8 hour package is usually suffice for a wedding and for good photographery 8 hours runs around 2000-5000 here, so for 10 hours for good photography I dont think that is bad.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• I know sticker shock is there at first, but I think this recent blog post explains things in a way that makes a lot of sense.

http://blog.nikkimaydayphotography.com/2012/01/26/why-wedding-photographers-prices-are-wack-erie-pa-wedding-photographer-response/
  • I plan on paying up to.2500.

• My fiance and I are only paying $2500 and our photographer is great! California based but travels worldwide! If you're still looking you have to email her or visit her site
  • Starfish0116Starfish0116 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Not even close to outrageous. 10 hours, two photographer, disk, etc? That seems REALLY reasonable. 

Like PP mentioned, you get what you pay for. Not many respectable and qualified photographers who are running a LEGAL business will charge less than 3k for 6 or more hours of coverage. In fact, 3k for 6 hours is pretty standard in my area so I think you're getting a steal at 10 hours.

When all is said and done I'll be paying right about 4k for 8 hours of coverage, 2 photographers, 1 assistant, and a DVD of images. 
  • We are a Huntsville, AL Photography company, but we do travel.  We can give you the following for $3,000 ($1,500 of this is for flight for 3 and hotel stay).  Please checkout out our website to view our galleries: www.sylvesterphotography.com. You can email us at: [email protected]

2 Photographers and 1 Videographer for Wedding Day and Reception

You get full rights to all photos taken.

Wedding - No Time Limit

Group Photos - No Time Limit 

Reception - No Time Limit                               

We will photograph the Bride getting ready if requested. A photographer will photograph the bride getting her makeup, hair, etc done. (Female photographer can be requested) 

200 - 4 x 6 photos - Includes 4 small photo albums for the pictures (your choice)

Video Taping - highlights of Wedding Preparation, highlights of Reception, and entire Wedding Ceremony 

1 - 16 x 20 (your choice) 

10 - 8 x 10 (your choice) 

1 - 11 x 14 Canvas Print (10- 14 business days) (your choice) 

1 - 16 x 20 Collage (8 pictures) (your choice) 

Wedding Album Photo Book (20 pages up to 50 photos) 

1 Hour Photo Shoot (CD Only) for one of the following: Rehearsal Dinner, Bachelor Party, or Bachelorette Party

A second photo session, must be done while we are there.

All photos taken come on a CD and Flash drive (yours to keep)

• Sylv, we just blasted a vendor IN THIS VERY SAME THREAD for advertising and not adhering to the terms of service.  Please, please explain to me why I should hire someone who has ABSOLUTELY NO READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
  • ADVISE FROM PHOTOGRAPHER / BRIDE TO BE: Shop by photo style first. Ask your facebook friends. What ever you do dont get someone who hasnt ever done a wedding or doesnt have an adiquite wedding portfolio. Weddings are the number one toughest event to photograph EVER. You get what you pay for in the photo world. If you have a small wedding 2 photographers and a DVD may not be nessicary . TRY TO NEGOTIATE. Tell them how much their work stands out and how special it is and how much you love them. Ego inflation can knock of some dollars ;) then ask if you can lower the price by removing some elements of the package or cutting their time there...Quality photography is something you need . It will and can be one of the biggest regrets of your life you get an inexperienced photog. or someone you dont like their artistic flare. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards