Catholic Weddings
Options

Questions?

Anyone in the mood for some questions?  Hopefully others will have some to add:)

1.  Do you have any pets?  (If yes, what kind/name/etc)
2.  What was/will be your first dance song?
3.  Do you think you'd ever want to have twins?  (I know you would all lovingly accept twins, but this is about what you would prefer!)

Re: Questions?

• Options
    I have 2 cats, and we're thinking about getting a 3rd after the wedding.  When I met FI, he didn't like cats, and was a self-proclaimed dog person.  He ended up loving my cats.  Eventually, after seeing him constantly annoyed by every dog he's ever around, I pointed out to him that he actually doesn't like dogs.  It's funny...he was raised in a family that hates cats and loves dogs, so he just assumed that's how he was.  Personally, I like dogs and enjoy them.  I just don't want to be in charge of taking care of one, so I would never get one.

Still haven't decided!  We can't seem to agree.  I want something that lends itself to dancing.  FI keeps picking songs with awkward tempos lol.

3.  Do you think you'd ever want to have twins?  (I know you would all lovingly accept twins, but this is about what you would prefer!)
    Definitely!  I've always wanted twins, and so does FI.  I'd like to have twin girls.  I know it will be a lot of work, especially in the beginning, but I just think it would be such a neat experience that it would make it totally worth it for me.

• Options
    1. No pets! My parents have pets and FI sister has a dog, but FI and I are not really into pets. We don't really like fur all over the place, so we won't have any!
    2. Our First Song is either going to be Tim McGraw "My Best Friend" or Jake Owen "Kiss you Good Morning". Probably Tim mcGraw since FI will just start singing it out of no where to me.
    3. Fi and I are no where near thinking of children. He and I are kinda unsure if we want to have children too. I have a few medical problems that will keep me from having them. I have friends who have twins and I love twins! I would not mind having them and even if we decieded to adopt I would like a set of twins. But we will see what happens. I would love any set whether boys, girls or 1 of each!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CaitlynmkCaitlynmk member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    1. I have a dog named Ruby, she is a Toy Poodle/Brussels Griffon mix. She looks like a little Ewok! She is so smart and friendly, and needless to say she is also very spoiled. haha
    2. Not sure on our first dance song yet... maybe something by Ray LaMontagne
    3. I would prefer one baby at a time (or at least for the first kid, so I have some experience!) but twins would be equally welcome in our family :) One thing is for sure, we want to have more than one child. I am an only child and I really miss having the relationship that my FI has with his brother and sister.

I'll add one-
    4. Where are you going on your honeymoon?
    We're going to Key West, FL. We live in FL but have never been there! We're also saving our money for long trip to Europe on our first anniversary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are going to the Outer Banks, NC.  We're renting a big house with a pool, and it's just a short walk from the beach.  I can't wait!  I love the OBX...so peaceful and calm!

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Do you have any pets? 

I have 3 doggies that I adore. A shih-tzu, named Shu Shu, a miniature schnauzer, named Gretel, and a Bischon poodle mix named Teddy. They're the family pets, and I will miss them when I get married. :(

My Fiance has 2 cats, which I've grown fond of, but I'm not a cat person. His are affectionate, but I hate that they go on the counters.

We plan to dance to "The Book of Love" by the Magnetic Fields. It's a little unexpected and quirky, but romantic.

Speaking as a twin, who loved being a twin...who has twins on both sides of my parent's families....NO. Seeing photos of my mom carrying twins, and the havoc we wreaked on her poor body...Yikes! But whatever happens, happens. I know she says we were worth it. ;)

Honeymoon:
    We're going to Hollywood Florida for 5 days the day after the wedding, and then we hope to take a trip to Italy in February for Valentines day, and as our real Honeymoon.

Another question:
    How did you and your fiance/husband meet?
    I'll start: We met at a mutual friends wedding. She was an old co-worker...I laugh when I look at the series of events that brought us together.God has a way of making things work out just right in the end. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love OBX too! My family used to go on summer vacations to the Corolla and Duck areas there :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d6a63cac-5a52-44a0-8c08-07b1569d5159Post:260000fa-7aca-40e4-983f-fc5a3b991d8c">Re: Questions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love OBX too! My family used to go on summer vacations to the Corolla and Duck areas there :)
    Posted by Caitlynmk[/QUOTE]

We are staying in Corolla this time, but I've stayed in Duck most of the time.  I love Duck because it feels a little more private and secluded than a lot of the OBX. 

And to answer the newest question. FI and I met because we were both in a production of Guys and Dolls (he was Nicely -- the skinniest Nicely ever, mind you -- and I was a Hot Box dancer). 

• Options
    Do you have any pets? 

After several dogs and cats, we are down to one male cat, Zorro, who was a barnyard stray I rescued.  He is 10 years old, can be a real pain with his urinary issues, but is also very loveable.  Unfortunately, he still will not let me pick him up.

We did not have a first dance.
    3.  Do you think you'd ever want to have twins? 

Neither of us had twins, but I have twin grandchildren, a boy and a girl who will be 5 next month.  They are such a blessing and joy. They are so protective of each other.  When they were infants and sleeping together in the crib, they would always make sure they were touching each other.

4. Honeymoon:

Since I didn't have much vacation time, we spent a few days 3 hours away at French Lick Resort, Indiana.

5. How did you and your fiance/husband meet?

Online dating.  I had just given up, and he contacted me.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    No, but I will once we're married.  Laughing  My fiance has two cats.  A black 1 year old cat named Feisty and a 9 year old cat named Brahma.

When God made you by Newsong.

I would prefer not to have twins and it isn't likely with twins not naturally occurring in either of our families.  My cousin is currently pregnant with twins and I see what she is going through just five months in to her pregnancy and it scares me! 

Honeymoon:
    We had originally planned on an Alaskan cruise but once we learned about the Papal blessings at the Vatican we changed our mind and are going to Italy.  We haven't made any arrangements yet and are not really sure where to start, either...

How we met:

We met through Ave Maria Singles.  Our first in person meeting was quite a story...  He lives in Pittsburgh and I'm in Buffalo.  He had made arrangements to come up here the Friday after Thanksgiving so we could meet for the first time.  I had met other guys from the site that I just didn't quite connect with so I was hesitant about him coming for a whole weekend.  What if I didn't like him?  Well, in the meantime, my friends Chris and Jason had concocted a plan that I'd visit them on Veteran's Day to have Chick-fil-a for dinner.  It was truely insane becuse the Megabus got me in to Pittsburgh at 4:30 p.m. and left at 11:15 p.m.  My choir was being taped the next morning at 9:00 a.m. for the national Christmas Eve Mass broadcast.  But I went anyway...  On the way down, my now fiance called me to chat and I had to admit to him I was on my way to his city but didn't have time to meet him.  (I didn't get to see these friends that often and I didn't want to take time away from them for someone I may not even like).  But the fear of not liking him and having to spend an entire weekend with him was making me wonder how I could include him in the evening.  My friends and I had a few adventures and eventually found ourselves at Station Square which is a converted train station that now houses shops, restaurants and attractions and is right on the river.  When my now fiance texted me to ask how I was enjoying his city I said yes and asked him if jhe was anywhere near Station Square and he said he was.  So we agreed to meet "and walk around for about 15 minutes" to get to know each other a little.  Before I left my friends had said that if I wanted to I could invite him in but I was still hesitant.  Well, when we met in person for the first time and gave each other that "nice to meet you" hug I literally had chills/shivers.  There was this amazing chemistry and connection.  We talked for a few minutes and I invited him to dinner.  Despite all of our inside jokes he kept up with conversation quite well and I kept liking him more and more as the night went on.  I NEVER kiss on a first date (especially one that wasn't officially a date) but about two hours later I was really hoping he would kiss me.  And he did.  The craziest thing about all of it is that I had prayed a novena to St. Jude (I was born on his feast day) for clarity and to find a spouse.  In that one day, I had so much clarity it was almost scary.  Not only was the connection with my now fiance so intense I had never felt anything like it before, but there were other things too.  One person I was supposed to meet for drinks the next day had cancelled and my friend Chris (who I had been essentially dating without actually dating) and I finally had an adult conversations about our feelings about each other, marriage, etc. 

I had heard the whole "when you know, you know" thing before but never really believed it until my experience with my fiance.  We both knew pretty early on that we were the one for each other. 
  • Options
    A creepy, black cat named Mr. Sly. He's quite a handful.

Hallelujah by Time for Three. I love the song and FI and I both really like the group.

No thank you!  I'm sure raising one child at a time is tough enough. I am unable to have kiddos of my own and I don't see us adopting twins in our future.

4. Honeymoon
    We are going on a 10-day Mediterranean cruise stopping in Rome, Greece, Turkey, and Egypt. I cannot wait!

5. How did FI and I meet.
    We used to work in the same building. One day he mustered up the nerve to ask me out and we have been inseparable ever since :)
  • Options
    Do you have any pets? 
    We have two basenjis, a red and white female named Friday, and a male tri-color named Spencer.  We were doing some research about dog breeds one weekend when FI was thinking about getting a dog, stumbled across the breed, and fell in love!  We first adopted a red and white male named Fletcher - he was a puppy mill rescue, and was so scared and timid he wanted nothing to do with us.  After awhile we decided to adopt him a friend, so along came Friday!  She worked wonders for him, he actually started approaching us, then sleeping on the bed with us, and even got cuddly!  Unfortunately he escaped from my parents yard one weekend, and was hit by a car.  After we lost him, Friday developed pretty extreme separation anxiety, so it was time for us to get a friend for her!  Spencer is totally laid back, and goes well with her I'm-the-top-dog character.  I could write about them all day, they both have such funny personalities, and all kinds of basenji quirks!

What was/will be your first dance song?
    We're going to use "True Companion" by Marc Cohn.  I heard it on the radio one day and fell in love with it, luckily FI liked it too!
    Do you think you'd ever want to have twins? 
    I'd be fine with twins, but I definitely hope that wouldn't be my first pregnancy - that would be a bit much to handle!  Twins don't run in my family at all, so I don't think I need to worry about it too much.  For some reason, FI's dad jokes that we're definitely going to have twins right away!  If we did have twins, I'd prefer if they were fraternal, rather than identical - not really sure why, maybe just so they couldn't try to trick me with not being able to tell them apart :)

Honeymoon:
    We're going to Ocean Coral & Turquesa resort in Puerto Morelos, Mexico (Rivera Maya) area, from December 8-15.  We originally planned to wait until January or February when the weather REALLY sucks here, but the cost was a lot better in early December so we were fine with traveling then.  It's about 7 weeks after the wedding, and I think it will be nice to have something to look forward to still once the wedding is over.
    Another question:
    No great romantic story here - we met through mutual friends, at a local bar that we all hung out with.  I used to date the younger brother of one of FI's friends, FI and I would chat occasionally when we were all there together.  Awhile after I was single again he emailed me and invited me to a work event.  I didn't go, but suggested that we get lunch sometime.  That led to a "real date" and we've been together since!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:d6a63cac-5a52-44a0-8c08-07b1569d5159Post:a287cf5d-3e7e-464b-a967-e4377edc2bc7">Re: Questions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]He lives in Pittsburgh and <strong>I'm in Buffalo</strong>.  Posted by jenjlgsings[/QUOTE]

My mom is orignally from there, and my grandma still lives in Buffalo - Keisertown area.  I love it there, wish I could visit more often!
  • Options
    I love OBX!!! My family goes every year to Avon or Frisco which is almost an hour half from duck/corrlla!

Honeymoon: We will probably go somewhere tropical even though right now we are in the process of buying a house and strapped for cash!

How we met: Mutual friend had a party in college and we both attended and talking ever since!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Do you have any pets? 

No pets currently both we both hope to get a dog some time in the near future. Most likely a yellow lab.

Lullaby by Spill Canvas. We went to a Spill Canvas concert together early in our relationship when the album that song is on first came out and decided that it would be our song. It is in 3, so we took dance lessons and learned to waltz for our first dance :)

3.  Do you think you'd ever want to have twins? 

I would LOVE to have twins, but my husband does not feel the same he thinks it will be too much at once, haha. I have always been into genetics, biology, and psychology and always thought identical twins and twin studies were so cool. But if I were to have twins I would really like to have fraternal twins with one girl and one boy so they don't feel as forced to hang out all the time and have all the same friends. Twins do not run in either of our families so we'll see if it happens. 3 of my facebook friends just had twins within the last couples of months. H always comments that my newsfeed is full of babies, lol.

4. Honeymoon:

We did two nights in a bed and breakfast in St. Louis where the wedding was and are hoping to do a big trip in December to the British Virgin Islands when we have more vacation time.

We met at college through mutual friends. My husbands sophomore year roommate (who he met freshman year in the dorms) went to high school with me and we both still hung out with one of our mutual friends from high school. She invited us all out to Applebees for her 20th birthday dinner so we met there near the end of our Sophomore year. Our friends tried not so subtly to set us up, and when we both got back from summer break we quickly began hanging out and dating at the end of August at the beginning of our Junior year of college. Later we realized we were also in one of the same classes freshman year but never met each other then.
  • Options
    ChloeaghChloeagh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    My family has 3 dogs! Two cocker spaniels and a chiuaua. But I'm definitely a cat person, as is FI. I can't wait until we get married and can afford to have lots of kitties.
    No idea. We're having an informal reception, so we may not officially have one.
    No! I'm worried about my ability to raise one child, let alone two babies at the same time. Twins don't run in my family at all, and my mom panicked for me when she heard FI's dad is a twin. Then I reminded her that a fraternal twin on FI's side could in no way affect me (unless he has magic powerful ovulation-inducing sperm).
    Not sure, since I'll be in school. We might not even take one initially. But once I'm out of school and we can afford it, we're going to Ireland.
    We were on our high school robotics team together when I was a junior and he was a senior, but I wasn't a fan of him then. Luckily, fate was on our side and we both took chemistry a year later than normal, and we ended up in class together with my best friend. I got to know him and my friend (almost literally) pushed us together. The cover for our "first date" was making my friend finally see the original Star Wars Trilogy. He graduated soon after that but stayed at home, so we were able to grow the really strong relationship we needed before going long distance when I graduated and left for college a year later. It's truly amazing to look back and see how many things had to fall into place for us to get together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You guys know the rule here!  You can't talk about your pets without posting PICS!

Here's my one dog, Heidi.  She's a two-year old rescue mutt (some kind of Shih-zu terrier mix).

We haven't officially decided yet, but we want something upbeat and quirky, so we're thinking "Home" by Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros.

No, I think we'd prefer not to.  Maybe fraternal, but we wouldn't prefer identical.  Of course we'll love any babies we have.

4. Honeymoon
    We're going to Italy!  We want to go to Capri, Florence, Venice, and Rome.  How long we stay will depend upon how much money we've saved when we start booking in a few months, but we're hoping for at least two weeks.

5. How did FI and I meet.
    So I "dated" this kid when I was 15.  He broke up with me after a month, and his friend, my FI, wanted to know more about me so he messaged me on AOL instant messenger (this was 10 years ago, haha).  So we talked for a couple months online before school started, then we became friends at school.  After about 4 months I finally asked him out because I could tell he wanted to but was too shy.  We've been together 9 1/2 years.

SaveSave
  • Options
    We have two dogs!  A black terrier mix (we think fox terrier) named Mrs. Brisby who is 8 and just the best flipping dog I've ever owned.  And then we have a German shepherd mix (who must be mixed with a short dog, because she is about half the normal German size) named Ginevra who is 4, and a pest to her little-big sister but just the sweetest dog I've ever met.  They have been Godsends through the times H and I have had to live apart!
    "Would You Go With Me" by Josh Turner.  It's been one of my favorites since I heard it.
    YES!  H's cousin is expecting twins (in just a few weeks!) and we are both SOOOO excited and hope that we will be likewise blessed!  I just hope it's maybe not for a few years because we'll definitely need a bigger house in that case!
    4. Honeymoon?
    We went on a "mini-moon" to Fredericksburg, TX.  It's got tons of wineries and it's an old German town, so lots of delicious food.  We're hoping to save up for a more luxurious honeymoon in a few years (and during the summer when I have more time), but right now we're happy with our home.
    5. How H and I Met (I will try to condense):
    We actually met at summer camp when we were 7th graders (14 years ago - dang).  We took Philosophy of Religion together and became decent friends.  Sadly, he was in that, "I'm going to show this girl I like her by being mean to her" phase, so for the first summer and most of the second one we were together, I wasn't his biggest fan.  The third summer of camp we were actually each other's first kiss.  We "dated" as much as one can during a 3-5 week summer camp, but drifted apart.
    When we were 19, we worked as RAs at the same summer camp.  I was actually engaged to another guy (a terrible relationship that had no business existing), but the more time I spent with H (and my other camp friends with whom I was reunited), the more I realized I needed OUT of my other relationship.  So I broke it off and H and I started dating a few days later.  =)
    Anniversary

• Options
    1) we have 3 cats: Quixote, Simone, and our foster cat Crookshanks (looks just like the HP cat).

2) We're still figuring out our first dance song. We're toying with waltzing to Tchaikovsky.

3) Absolutely! We both want multiple children and aren't picky about how they come.

4) Honeymoon will actually be a familymoon to Disneyworld! And a surprise for my daughter since she has no clue.

5) FI and I worked together for years and became best friends. When he moved away, we kept in touch. Our relationship became romantic via old-fashioned letters. I have a huge box of 2 years of letters. They're my most precious collection.

I'll add one: How long were you a couple before you became engaged?

We'd been together 2 1/2yrs before he proposed this past August :)
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    Cute story about you guys meeting, Proff!

What you guys want to do for a luxurious anniversary--honeymoon trip?

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Do you have any pets?  

We have 2 cat daughters, Madision and Mouschi.  DH calls them cats-dogs because they're so friendly and snuggly.  I've had them since college, but within a month they like DH more than me.  

What was/will be your first dance song? 
    We didn't have a first dance.

Do you think you'd ever want to have twins?  (I know you would all lovingly accept twins, but this is about what you would prefer!)
    If we had a choice, no.  I have a friend who just had twins, and it just seems so overwhelming.  

Honeymoon:
    We rented a cabin in Door County, WI for a week.  

Catholic Match (and I always feel silly when I say that).  He was actually the first profile I looked at and was really interested in.  He contacted me less than a day after I signed up, and the rest is history :)

How long were you a couple before you became engaged?
    8 months. He proposed on my birthday :)  Best gift ever!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d6a63cac-5a52-44a0-8c08-07b1569d5159Post:0d337ca5-362e-4037-b8dc-d7c706998e74">Re: Questions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cute story about you guys meeting, Proff! What you guys want to do for a luxurious anniversary--honeymoon trip?
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

<div>The dream is Bora Bora, but I will settle for anything tropical where we can stay in an overwater bungalow and not see another human being except to bring us food and fruity drinks with little umbrellas.</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>How long were we a couple:</strong> We were just past six years when we got engaged.</div>
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited July 2012
    How long were you a couple before you became engaged?  FI and I were together for 2 years and about 3 months before getting engaged.  I say "about" because we differ on when to start counting - he thinks just from whenever we went on our first date, I tend to count from when we acknowledged that we were dating exclusively (I was being kind of a dork about it, and just wanted it to be said out loud, so there was no way either of us could use the "well, I didn't know it wasn't OK to go on other dates, we never talked about that" excuse at some point, haha)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d6a63cac-5a52-44a0-8c08-07b1569d5159Post:4d9cdf56-12b3-4003-b0e5-b1b6148cf317">Re: Questions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How long were you a couple before you became engaged?  FI and I were together for 2 years and about 3 months before getting engaged.  I<strong> say "about" because we differ on when to start counting - he thinks just from whenever we went on our first date, I tend to count from when we acknowledged that we were dating exclusively </strong>(I was being kind of a dork about it, and just wanted it to be said out loud, so there was no way either of us could use the "well, I didn't know it wasn't OK to go on other dates, we never talked about that" excuse at some point, haha)
    Posted by erin5286[/QUOTE]

Lol... we had this argument too.  But we ultimately decided on the day we officially became "boyfriend girlfriend" (remember, this was high-school, haha).

And we dated 8 1/2 years before he proposed.  But we'd talked about marriage since really early on.

SaveSave
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:d6a63cac-5a52-44a0-8c08-07b1569d5159Post:b483383a-b7bc-4227-8841-ce03d6f102f2">Re: Questions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Questions? : Lol... we had this argument too.  But we ultimately decided on the day we officially became "boyfriend girlfriend" (remember, this was high-school, haha). And we dated 8 1/2 years before he proposed.  But we'd talked about marriage since really early on.
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

I don't know when we count from either.  We started talking online first, then on the phone, then had 4 dates before he asked me to be his "girlfriend".  I was holding back the laughter - girlfriend at the age of 53?  I guess it is better than being his "old lady".  He still refers to me as his beautiful bride - a lot better. We were engaged about 1 1/2 years later and got married almost 2 years after we met online.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards