African American Weddings

Kids at the Wedding- Knottie Moms and all others!

Ok so FI and I are allowing kids at the wedding since we are having a DW and both our families will have children. Our venue has a room adjoining the main ballroom where we can house the 40 children(including the older cousins) with 3 babysitters , movies , etc. I don't want any children in the main reception room and as such I want to specify that only children 3 and up who are potty trained will be allowed. Is this a reasonable age?  I think only 3 families will have newborns - 2 year olds and I will provide them numbers for sitters.

Is this reasonable? If you are or were a parent would that be reasonable?
577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary

Re: Kids at the Wedding- Knottie Moms and all others!

• edited December 2011
    Are the sitters people who are known to the family or someone provided by the venue/destination?  As a mom, I would not feel confortable leaving my infant with a complete stranger.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_kids-wedding-knottie-moms-others?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:cbc4bc6c-7ebe-445f-9206-c99219ba7679Post:724f76b9-329e-40ba-8532-7c0e4919c725">Re: Kids at the Wedding- Knottie Moms and all others!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are the sitters people who are known to the family or someone provided by the venue/destination?  As a mom, I would not feel confortable leaving my infant with a complete stranger.
    Posted by simbidi[/QUOTE]
    THIS
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The sitters I reccomend would be from a nanny service. What alternative should I provide in the case they are not comfortable?
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_kids-wedding-knottie-moms-others?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:cbc4bc6c-7ebe-445f-9206-c99219ba7679Post:04085a02-3fc0-4711-8eb5-2a1cbe287a16">Re: Kids at the Wedding- Knottie Moms and all others!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The sitters I reccomend would be from a nanny service. What alternative should I provide in the case they are not comfortable?
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

<div>Still doesn't negate the fact that they may not want to leave the baby with them... It may be a case of choose to come and use the sitter or not (if you aren't allowing them into the reception).It's tough...</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • edited December 2011
    Only you really know your family and friends. We were worried that we would have a bunch of kids and only ended up with 10 including the 4 in the bridal party. Ask some of the family that you are close to who have kids and see how they feel about the idea.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_kids-wedding-knottie-moms-others?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:cbc4bc6c-7ebe-445f-9206-c99219ba7679Post:fd6bf608-4cf2-45cf-9009-0de7402163e1">Re: Kids at the Wedding- Knottie Moms and all others!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kids at the Wedding- Knottie Moms and all others! : Still doesn't negate the fact that they may not want to leave the baby with them...<strong> It may be a case of choose to come and use the sitter or not</strong> (if you aren't allowing them into the reception).It's tough...
    Posted by Soon2BSand[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. Depending on who the older cousins are & if I am close to them, I may be comfortable leaving my infant with them. But not total strangers (nannies).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • empeguesempegues member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So all the kids (above 3) will be in a separate room and any kids under 3 are not invited (you're providing nanny contacts), right?  I think I read it wrong the first time.  I don't really see anything wrong with saying that infants aren't included.  I think the biggest question I'd have is about the kid's room.  Those kids get to eat with their parents, right?  On one hand it could be super fun for the kids to hang with each other, but on the other hand as a parent I'd still want to know the babysitters. 

Maybe I'm imagining it wrong though??
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    edited December 2011
    empegues you're envisioning it right. Kids 3-12 (and anyone under 16 with our prior permission) will be in the separate room adjoining the ballroom. They will not eat with the adults , they will be in that room for the entire reception.

I think most of my family and his are in the 3 and over category it was really some of our friends we were concerned about and I'm trying to be accomadating without saying - come or don't come.
  • FabbiegirlFabbiegirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's good that you are trying to accommodate parents, but try to make sure that whoever you go with to babysit can be trusted.  Like PP's said, mommies don't want to leave the kids with strangers they don't trust.
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    edited December 2011
    Got it thanks for the feedback ladies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards