March 2013 Weddings

Menu Option help!

Hey ladies! FI and I are trying to decide between menu options for our plated dinner and even though I posted a question similar to this on the Food board, I trust your judgement so I thought I'd ask!

We have narrowed it down to chicken pomodoro, beef tenderloin, tilapia, and vegetable napoleon. We were thinking of choosing 2 or 3 options. Anyone have suggestions? What are you all doing for your menu?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Menu Option help!

• We're doing a southern twist of chicken and fish: fried chicken and shrimp and grits. I would definitely do a chicken, but then for the other, I would see how many beef/fish/veggie people you have. Are you going to have a lot ov vegetarians, or a lot of red meat eaters? If both, I'd do the chicken, beef, and veggie. If not a lot of vegetarians, then maybe chicken and beef?
    September Siggy Challenge March 2013 Board Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Aww thanks! Here is our full menu:

Southern Fried Chicken

Shrimp and Grits

Mashed Potatoes with Brown Gravy

Macaroni and Cheese

Blackeye Peas and Greens

Butter Beans

Buttermilk Biscuits

Sweet Tea and Water
    September Siggy Challenge March 2013 Board Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited September 2012
    In your situation I think a beef, chicken, and veggy option is best to appeal to both meat eaters and vegitarians. We are doing a buffet of heavy appetizers along with a prime rib carving station and Caesar salad station for our wedding, but for our rehearsal dinner we are having a plated meal. My mom was originally saying chicken, beef, and fish, but when my FFIL said we had to do the New York strip instead of the Filet Mignon, we got rid of the chicken and added more beef in the form of pot roast, which happens to be my favorite dish from the restaurant, so no complaints. My future father in law and his wife are paying for the rehersal dinner, thus why we had to switch the type of steak. The group we are inviting includes a lot of big meat eaters, so they prefer two beef and one fish options anyway.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kay, your food sounds amazing! I would definitely do two of the meat options (tilapia sounds amazing but I also like chicken 99% of the time) and a vegetarian option unless you know for sure there are no vegetarians. I know we will have at least 4 (if they come of course, and 2 are vegan) so that's something I need to think about.

We haven't decided what we're doing yet but there are two main options we're thinking of. The first is an Asian buffet with sweet and sour chicken, beef and broccoli, rice, spinach salad, veggies and I can't remember what else. The other is doing heavy appetizers. If we go with that option, we will probably do mini sandwiches, chicken strips, crab cakes, sweet potato fries, onion rings, and a fruit and veggie plate (or something like that, there are TONS of options!). It's cheaper to do the heavy apps but we will see what we like best when we go to the tasting on Oct 3!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • We are doing a plated dinner of chicken and salmon.

Buttermilk fried chicken breast with tomato-bourbon sauce, served with garlic mashed potatos and baby green beans
    &
    Glazed salmon and garlic mashed potatos with a bundle of asparagus.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone image 133 Invited
    image 120 Are ready to party!
    image 3 Will be missing out!
    image 10 Are MIA!
  • I agree with the majority.  I would do a chicken, fish and beef (unless you have people who need a vegetarian option). 

We are having a 'Roulade of Chicken Florentine with Spinach & Boursin Cheese, Charred Tomato Velouté Sauce" or a "Ginger-Infused Salmon with a Honey Teriyaki Glaze".  We also have a lot of options for the cocktail hour, and we are having a late night fajita station. 

Also our hall will be changing their menus soon, so we can pick and choose from the new menu as well as the old one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you ladies for all of your posts!! :) I think you are all right, the chicken, beef, and veggie would be a good mixture of options. We have one vegetarian that I know of, but I think she eats fish. Our tasting is Oct 5 so we'll get to try everything then, so we're looking forward to that!

@ jennipea - I'm so jealous you guys have crab cakes for an option! I was really hoping our venue would have that or bacon wrapped scallops for our cocktail hour but they don't have either!
    @ sleeper - I might consider getting the veggie napoleon too! I love the pretzel station idea, that is so fun and yummy!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • definitely chicken.
  • Janna2012Janna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    It's been said a few times but I would go for the chicken, beef and veg. We are doing chicken, pork tenderloin and vegetable wellington. I know a lot of people are doing fish or suggesting it, but just as a counterpoint... I know that fish is a pretty hard meal to cook just right and overdone or underdone just isn't as good. So when cooking for so many people it can be even harder. That's the main reason why I wanted to stay away from fish on my menu. I'm a foodie so it's very important to me that we got the meal right.

We are having

Sliced Grilled Chicken Breasts with Artichoke Lemon Sauce

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Orange Chipotle Sauce

Baked Vegetable Wellington with Smoked Gouda

And I'm pretty excited about all the options!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We're doing a dual-plated option with chicken breast topped with gulf srimp and grilled beef tenderloin. The catrers will have a veggie option on hand and staff to handle any shellfish allergies. Originally, we wanted to do a fish of some kind, but it quickly became clear that chicken and beef were the more popular options for our guests.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_plated-dinner-menu-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:70149d2e-7d16-42fc-9ebb-d7fa3fee3d5fPost:ca83ac0b-d481-40ad-82a7-d569cdf38211">Re: Menu Option help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you ladies for all of your posts!! :) I think you are all right, the chicken, beef, and veggie would be a good mixture of options. We have one vegetarian that I know of, but I think she eats fish. Our tasting is Oct 5 so we'll get to try everything then, so we're looking forward to that! <strong>@ jennipea - I'm so jealous you guys have crab cakes for an option!</strong> I was really hoping our venue would have that or bacon wrapped scallops for our cocktail hour but they don't have either! @ sleeper - I might consider getting the veggie napoleon too! I love the pretzel station idea, that is so fun and yummy!! :)
    Posted by Caitlynmk[/QUOTE]

I know, I was SO excited when I saw this! I'm hoping they're good. We have family in MD so we've had the best crab cakes, and I'm a little picky about them now, haha. They have some weird sauce on them and I asked if we could do it on the side since most of us eat them with just a little worcestershire sauce!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards