Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is it rude to offer one meal option only?

It would be a chicken or fish entree. We're trying to save money and not have to pay the split meal option fee.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is it rude to offer one meal option only?

• edited December 2011
    Thanks! I was thinking chicken would be better.. And we've checked, no vegans and no serious food allergies thankfully!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely do chicken if you're only doing one entree.

Also, you still should check with your venue about a vegetarian entree. Things/issues/relationships could change in the next year.
  • edited December 2011
    i don't think there's anything rude about it at all!  when i choose my meal on an rsvp card, i've already forgotten my choice by the wedding day - i'm happy to eat whatever's in front of me as long as it's good.

ditto pp's, just make sure vegetarian/vegan/non-allergic options are available if needed, go with chicken and save some $$.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it's rude and I would also go with chicken since it's almost universally liked.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_rude-offer-one-meal-option-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:3c248c0d-abac-4757-ba4e-e88a817dcf90Post:1ca79a8a-d13d-4650-ac68-0d113cd7d745">Re: Is it rude to offer one meal option only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Definitely do chicken if you're only doing one entree. Also, you still should check with your venue about a vegetarian entree. Things/issues/relationships could change in the next year.
    Posted by klynette84[/QUOTE]
    Agreed with both points here.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! I'm feeling a lot better about this now :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My poll is still 50-50 tho :'(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    As long as there are options for special diet concerns it isn't rude. As PPs have said have a veggie option, kosher or Halal option if necessary and then one for everyone else.

If you have a good filling meal I don't see how it's rude to have one option for the meal. I really don't get that.

I am also having only chicken and if someone decides I am rude for it I hope they let me konw...so I won't invite them anywhere else :) 

EDITED
  • edited December 2011
    Haha thanks blush!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We only had beef (due to a last minute change by the venue) and I was worried too.  We did have chicken strips and plenty of veggies though as well as smoked salmon on display so I finally decided not to worry about it.
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't fret it.

• edited December 2011
    As PPs stated chicken is more of a crowd pleaser so I would go with that...but I'm also biased because I have a seafood allergy.  And check on the vegetarian option. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't think it was rude, but I would be disappointed since I don't care too much for chicken, but as long as there was plenty of other stuff to eat, it wouldn't be a big deal.  I'd definitely go with chicken over fish, though.

"You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper

• edited December 2011
    I think it's a little presumptuous to only offer one thing. Is it rude?  Not really...but it's also not the most considerate thing to do. 
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_rude-offer-one-meal-option-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:3c248c0d-abac-4757-ba4e-e88a817dcf90Post:d54c9941-58e5-41ba-abd0-b214b5ada0de">Re: Is it rude to offer one meal option only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's a little presumptuous to only offer one thing. Is it rude?   Not really...but it's also not the most considerate thing to do. 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

I find it presumtuous for a guest to assume one would get to choose what they want to eat at someone else's wedding.

As long a guest isn't required to pay for any part of the reception, meal or drinks I think we should be grateful for what is offered as we would when we go to a friends home. I would never go to dinner at a relative's or friend's house and expect that I would choose what I want to be served. If you are well fed and kept comfortable with special dietary concerns met I don't see the complaint.
  • edited December 2011
    I vote for chicken, and I don't mind only one entree.  I'm a picky eater anyway, so I always have to deal with eating at places where I may not like the food. Growing up, most of us probably were not offerred mutiple entree choices at the dinner table each night, so to me it's not really that different. My feeling is that I'm at this thing, and here is what they have to eat. I can eat it, or I can skip it. 
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I stand by what I said. You're not rude per se to only offer one thing, but I think youl'l be side-eyed by anyone who doesn't like the one option...and what do YOU think the odds of that are?
  • edited December 2011
    If you're only offering one option, then you don't need to include it on the RSVPs. Also--go with the chicken. Not everyone eats fish!
  • kateynjoekateynjoe member
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's rude at all. When we go to weddings we go mainly to celebrate the bride and groom the food is a bonus. I've been to a plated dinner wedding where I was not offered options, they had grilled chicken over potatos with an Amazing sauce, and grilled asparagus. It was fantastic and no one had to envy the person next to them for picking something that looked better than what they had :)  I would just make sure to do a tasting, that way you will know ahead of time that it's a likely "crowd pleaser." A veggie option is always a good idea just in case.
    "We may not have it all together, but together we have it all!" ~Anonymous~ "It is far better to be small and *Shine* than to be big and cast a Shadow!" ~Anonymous~
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's rude. I'd go with the chicken, however. 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
     We are going with family style chicken. Figured just about everyone would eat chicken (Personally, I'd rather have fish, I don't eat chicken lol) We do have 2 vegetarians though, so we will be asking for a special meal for them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Go with chicken!
    One option is not rude at all. We are having 1 option too.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your input!! We will definitely go with chicken :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_rude-offer-one-meal-option-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:3c248c0d-abac-4757-ba4e-e88a817dcf90Post:6e975eb2-6045-4612-9047-9b28a1d1ba1b">Re: Is it rude to offer one meal option only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you only have one entree, I'd go with the chicken. Also, be sure your venue is willing to accommodate any vegetarians or people with food allergies.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

This. It's not rude. Offer what you can afford.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it's "rude" per se, but it's nice to have another option if you can afford it. I can't recall a wedding I've attended where it was only one thing offered, but hey, if it tastes great, who cares? Also, chicken is probably the safer bet.  Just be mindful of your guests with dietery restrictions . 
  • edited December 2011
    I might be a little bummed to not have a choice but at the same time, it''s your budget. I wouldn't side eye you or trash talk. Ultimately it's basically a free meal so people can't fuss too much. I'd still very happily attend and celebrate.

Also most caterers will still offer a vegetarian option at no extra cost if you talk to them. Since it's like an extra restriction you can't control, and would most likely be such a small number of plates, they just go ahead and do it.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards