Plus-Sized
Options

this sucks with a capital S

so totally off wedding topic. but just wondering if you guys have been through this and just looking to see if any of you know what to do. 

so My FI is getting his tonsils out (he is 23.) I heard its alot harder the older you are and that the recovery takes alot longer. he gets them out the afternoon of the 27th and we were told he cant eat or drink anything from 11pm the night before and the day after all he can have is clear, non caffeine, non carbonated, non alcoholic, non acidic liquids so WATER. 

i was just wondering about recovery time and anything that you guys tried to make them feel better. or if you guys have been through this experience yourselves. if so any suggestions would be great. i heard ice packs help and cold soft foods. but any suggestions would be amazing. 

thanks guys. and HAPPY HOLIDAYS 

Re: this sucks with a capital S

• Options

23 is still young! I'm sure he'll be fine. Just make sure he doesn't try to push himself too hard on NYE and definitely stay away from the alcohol!

Get your boy some ice cream and mashed potatoes :)

• Options
    My old boss had his taken out when he was in his 40's. I remember the first week or two were pretty rough for him. He will experience some pain, but I'm sure he'll be glad he had it done when it's all over with.
  • Options
    bruna29bruna29 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I will second entropic and say to encourage him to stay away from alcohol on NYE. Just load him up with ice cream and soup. I'm sure ice packs will help as they reduce swelling, so just keep him hydrated and allow him to rest up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_this-sucks-capital-s?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:91e6055b-0413-40d1-b602-0d139ebb8b31Post:b519fa12-72a8-4856-9fba-0123f0625f10">this sucks with a capital S</a>:
    [QUOTE]so totally off wedding topic. but just wondering if you guys have been through this and just looking to see if any of you know what to do.  so My FI is getting his tonsils out (he is 23.) I heard its alot harder the older you are and that the recovery takes alot longer. he gets them out the afternoon of the 27th and we were told he cant eat or drink anything from 11pm the night before and the day after all he can have is clear, non caffeine, non carbonated, non alcoholic, non acidic liquids so WATER.  i was just wondering about recovery time and anything that you guys tried to make them feel better. or if you guys have been through this experience yourselves. if so any suggestions would be great. i heard ice packs help and cold soft foods. but any suggestions would be amazing.  thanks guys. and HAPPY HOLIDAYS 
    Posted by tiffielynn91[/QUOTE]

I got my tonsils out when I was 20. It was pretty terrible TBH.<div>My doctor told me recovery would be about 2 weeks I took the time off work but didn't think I would use it all. I was wrong. I needed every bit of that 2 weeks.  </div><div>
    I had a lot of trouble holding things down about 2 days after. I really just did a lot of sleeping. </div><div>You can load up on some otter pops or apple sauce. I would stay away from anything with acid because that will burn. (I learned that the hard way). 

Oh. And apple juice was my best friend. I drank tons of it. It's non-acidic but it also doesn't have any pulp.</div>
  • Options
    lots and lots of popcicles... and jello.... just try to stay away from RED... that way you are able to tell if/when his throat is no longer red and irritated!! or if there is an infection (Which we will pray there isnt)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_this-sucks-capital-s?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:91e6055b-0413-40d1-b602-0d139ebb8b31Post:b519fa12-72a8-4856-9fba-0123f0625f10">this sucks with a capital S</a>:
    [QUOTE]so totally off wedding topic. but just wondering if you guys have been through this and just looking to see if any of you know what to do.  so My FI is getting his tonsils out (he is 23.) I heard its alot harder the older you are and that the recovery takes alot longer. he gets them out the afternoon of the 27th and we were told he cant eat or drink anything from 11pm the night before and the day after all he can have is clear, non caffeine, non carbonated, non alcoholic, non acidic liquids so WATER.  i was just wondering about recovery time and anything that you guys tried to make them feel better. or if you guys have been through this experience yourselves. if so any suggestions would be great. i heard ice packs help and cold soft foods. but any suggestions would be amazing.  thanks guys. and HAPPY HOLIDAYS 
    Posted by tiffielynn91[/QUOTE]

I got mine out at 21 and it was a piece of cake!  I think because I had SO many sore throats and infections that even though there was discomfort, it was no where near as bad as the pain I was used to.   One thing that is a must is to keep hydrated... drink TONS of water (and even use a humidifier)  other than that, day 2 or 3 things are still pretty swollen but again not horrible by any means.

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_this-sucks-capital-s?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:91e6055b-0413-40d1-b602-0d139ebb8b31Post:65e54277-adde-425c-bfce-c5be8004bdf6">Re: this sucks with a capital S</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stock up on popsicles, ice cream, Jell-O, plain soup (no noodles/meat/veggies), apple juice, and anything else that's cold/warm/soothing and doesn't have any acid in it. Anything he doesn't have to chew is good too. M<strong>ake sure he takes ibuprofen to keep the swelling down. He can combine it with aspirin to help with the pain.</strong> Swallowing is going to be a nightmare for the first few days, so if he's having issues with pills, you could get some children's liquid pain reliever and ask the pharmacist for the recommended adult dosage. <strong>His doctor might prescribe something anyway.</strong> If he's really having issues with soft foods, get some Ensure or some other type of shake so he doesn't sacrifice protein and other vitamins.
    Posted by burntofferings[/QUOTE]

<div>They'll probably prescribe something. 
    I was only on mine for the first few days and then I just didn't take anything.</div><div>
    </div><div>I second the Ensure. For me, the Ensure was a little rich (vanilla) you can always  dilute with some water if you need.</div>
  • Options
    Thanks so much guys. He is super bummed because new years day is my 21st birthday and he wanted to go out and party it up on NYE. i told him that was not happening. but we will see. thanks so much for all the info. im already freaking out but im sure all will go as planned. 
  • Options

I agree with all these ladies. Soft foods is #1 thing. Make sure he gets plenty of rest stay in the bed or on the couch helps. Have plenty of movies to watch because it will be needed if he's not getting any sleep. He may not want to eat or drink anything but make sure he's at least trying to keep him hydrated.

• Options
    After my sisters tonsilectomy I would follow the Dr.'s orders to the letter. Last year my at the time 19 year old sister had her tonsils removed on the 20th or 21st, she followed the rules she liked and ignored the rest so on December 24th she got to have a procedure done again since she had spent the night before and that morning pucking up way too much blood.  She got home 30 minutes before people came over and was miserable all night.Trust me you will know if something is wrong.
  • Options
    I was thinking maybe Pedialyte would be good too along with Ensure.
  • Options
    I got my tonsils taken out at 23 too! Best decision I ever made. Seriously. I don't get sick nearly as often now - it's amazing.

Since it wasn't too long ago, I remember most of what was good and bad about the whole thing. 

1) Stool Softeners - SERIOUSLY. He will be very upset without them. Trust me. Seriously. LISTEN TO ME ON THIS ONE. 

2) Ice cream hurt me - I was good with icees (in fact, I requested them a lot), but ice cream was a bad move for me. I think it was the coating of the cream on my throat (oh, that sounded dirty, sorry)

3) Small bites! - I got back into eating solids one week after my surgery, but I ate teeny weeny bites of things. Almost like cutting it up for a baby. Big bites and a full mouth was a bad idea.

4) Mashed Potatoes, Pudding, Jello, Baby Food - I survived on these for about a month. I still wasn't a fan of solids for a while, eventhough I was technically able to eat them. I went through one of those huge Sams club sized containers of mashed potatoes. It was wonderful. 

5) The scabs coming off is the worst part - it feels like you're swallowing an enormous booger or smething - most discusting thing ever. BUT DON'T LET HIM THROW UP! 

If you need any more advice or whatever, feel free to send me a PM (batsignal me on E, that's where you can usually find me) - good luck!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_this-sucks-capital-s?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:91e6055b-0413-40d1-b602-0d139ebb8b31Post:2e3822f7-4a92-491d-9394-6c63d08d3154">Re: this sucks with a capital S</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got my tonsils taken out at 23 too! Best decision I ever made. Seriously. I don't get sick nearly as often now - it's amazing. Since it wasn't too long ago, I remember most of what was good and bad about the whole thing.  1) Stool Softeners - SERIOUSLY. He will be very upset without them. Trust me. Seriously. LISTEN TO ME ON THIS ONE.  2) Ice cream hurt me - I was good with icees (in fact, I requested them a lot), but ice cream was a bad move for me. I think it was the coating of the cream on my throat (oh, that sounded dirty, sorry) 3) Small bites! - I got back into eating solids one week after my surgery, but I ate teeny weeny bites of things. Almost like cutting it up for a baby. Big bites and a full mouth was a bad idea. 4) Mashed Potatoes, Pudding, Jello, Baby Food - I survived on these for about a month. I still wasn't a fan of solids for a while, eventhough I was technically able to eat them. I went through one of those huge Sams club sized containers of mashed potatoes. It was wonderful.  5) The scabs coming off is the worst part - it feels like you're swallowing an enormous booger or smething - most discusting thing ever. BUT DON'T LET HIM THROW UP!  If you need any more advice or whatever, feel free to send me a PM (batsignal me on E, that's where you can usually find me) - good luck!!!
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

<div>thank you so much. he is a tough guy and this he will be deer hunting 3rd season the 29 30 31 and 1st. im so glad everone on here knows what to do. because im completely clueless. thanks so much </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards