October 2012 Weddings

Shocked and kind of annoyed

So we've been pretty lucky and haven't had too many "I'm invited, right?" questions.

We just had a new girl start at the office last week on Tuesday and she noticed that I'm engaged and asked a few basic "when and where is it" questions. I answered those but avoided the rest of her question. Today we're going over some stuff and she says "just so you know there's no pressure to invite me to your wedding, I understand how expensive they are, but I could come after dinner or since it's at X Venue (which happens to be a restaurant) I could have dinner with my BF and then happen to come downstairs afterwards."

Ahh! She's trying to turn my wedding into a tiered reception. I was so annoyed I hardly knew what to say!

Anniversary

Re: Shocked and kind of annoyed

• Oh wow!  How did you respond?
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • That's really rude of her. Looks like someones trying to push her way into your plans... Hopefully, if she doesn't get an invite, and you don't let her pepper you with questions, she'll get the hint...or you know, just be mature about it.
    Also-- suuuper awkward that she just started there, and you don't really even know eachother!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 95 Invited
    image 70 Are ready to party!
    image 10 Will be missing out!
    image 15 Are MIA!
  • I just kind of stuttered for a few seconds and said we haven't completely finalized the guest list but I don't personally care for tiered receptions and then changed the subject back to work stuff.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_shocked-and-kind-of-annoyed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:a3c6e866-7984-4732-addd-bce0e6e2121aPost:feb74009-65c8-4c13-945a-b5fa12afc4e0">Re: Shocked and kind of annoyed</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just kind of stuttered for a few seconds and said we haven't completely finalized the guest list but I don't personally care for tiered receptions and then changed the subject back to work stuff.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]
    I think you handled it well. Hopefully she'll have gotten the hint.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yeah...totally rude on her part!

I guess you can't stop her from eating dinner at the restaurant the day of your wedding, but does she realize that she wants to be a wedding crasher!

I wouldn't talk about your wedding around her and be really vague / tell her that you prefer not to discuss the wedding plans at work if she brings it up again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Awkward....who does these things?

I think you responded really well. Hopefully she'll pick up when you meant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good response! And seriously what is wrong with people! She just started there last week right?!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_shocked-and-kind-of-annoyed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:a3c6e866-7984-4732-addd-bce0e6e2121aPost:fa3b5102-9edf-465e-84c4-64b8229d88dd">Re: Shocked and kind of annoyed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Awkward....<strong>who does these things</strong>? I think you responded really well. Hopefully she'll pick up when you meant.
    Posted by aimee58[/QUOTE]

This is excatly what I was going to say!!
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I can't believe people still act like this! You handled it really well though! Much better than I probably would have being caught off guard, lol.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Crazy!  I mean, if on the day of the wedding, she just happened to be there for dinner and remembered, "Oh yeah, Duck's wedding is downstairs, I'm just going to pop in and say congrats..." BUT it genuienly sounds like she wants to crash the wedding.  LAME.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    270475_10151278916785395_726690480_n-1
    Mom to D.A (11.09) and 3 beautiful angels (06.08, 03.11, 07.12)
  • You definitely handled it well. I think that was sooo rude of her. Are you even planning on inviting her? I know we had a discussion a while back about office people...such a tough subject!
    weddingpic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_shocked-and-kind-of-annoyed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:a3c6e866-7984-4732-addd-bce0e6e2121aPost:e85119b1-c283-47c9-b803-71b8242b6a46">Re: Shocked and kind of annoyed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good response! And seriously what is wrong with people! <strong>She just started there last week right?!</strong>
    Posted by missmckenzie2[/QUOTE]
    As of today, she's worked for the company for 1 week exactly.<div>
    </div><div>I'm inviting my boss, immediate supervisor and a handful of coworkers I've worked with for over 3 years. I wasn't planning on inviting her unless we became close between now and when invitations go out. </div>
    Anniversary
  • Very good response, Is the rest of the office invited ?
  • I dont know...that is just way too odd. I figures maybe shes been there a little longer...but a week. Come on, seriously?!

weddingpic
  • I wouldn't look at it too harshly, unless it turns out she really is just a pushy rude person. She may be insecure and trying to make friends and 'fit in' as it were. But no argument that she put you in a very awkward situation, thankfully the people I work with are really cool about it and I can talk about my plans with some of them without worrying about this kind of thing.
    It doesn't have to be perfect to be everything I want!
    Rings2
    143 Invited image
    88 will be there! image
    55 would rather stay home :(image
    0 Are procrastinating!image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards