Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Uninvited Guests...

Help! My fiancee and I are getting married next May with a guest list of about 75 people. All close family and friends.

I recently celebrated my birthday at a bar with several people, all but 1 are invited to my wedding. 8 of the 9 people there are very close friends who I had either grown up with or had known for quite some time now. This other person is more of an acquaintance. I only see him when there is a party or a large group gathering of some sort, have never had a telephone conversation with him, and had not planned on inviting him to our wedding at all. There are SEVERAL of other people that fit right in his category that are not invited. If I invited all of those people our guest list would be well over 100 people, and well over our budget.

Anyway, long story short, there was some chit chat about the wedding going on and I was showing the girls photos of my dress. In retrospect perhaps it was rude of me to talk about it in front of a person who I wasn't planning on inviting, but it certainly was not the entire focus of the evening and he easily could have turned to the person on his left who was talking about movies. He actually continued to bring it up himself when we were talking about unrelated topics. Asking me what day it was, where it was, etc. At one point in the evening he asked me "Am I invited to the wedding?" To which I kind of froze, thought 'did he really just ask me that?', 'is that an appropriate question to even ask??' and due to my incredible fear of telling people no, the extreme awkwardness that would hve followed, and probably the amount of drinks I had consumed by that point I blurted out "sure" albeit not a very enthusiastic response but, he seemed pleased with it and then proceeded to talk about how he will be sending me his address. I sort of mumbled about how The wedding is still awhile away and I'm still working on the Save the Dates. A bit later as he was leaving he again mentioned sending me his address. I just kind of said a generic 'okay' and left it at that. I take full responsibility for not being strait forward, but I think it was incredibly rude of him to so bluntly ask that and put me on the spot like that in front of everyone.

Is there a graceful way to back out of this? I mean, more graceful than just NOT sending him the invitation he is expecting which has crossed my mind.
Or should I just suck it up and include him since I never said anything when he asked?
What am I to do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Uninvited Guests...

• Options
    Nope, even though he forced it, you invited him by agreeing.  It's one person.  Suck it up and let him come. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Agree with the above, invite him. And for future reference, you were right, you should not discuss your wedding details in the company of people who won't be invited.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Options
    Sucks, but you have to invite him. Don't give him a plus one. It's just one more person.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That's what I was afraid of. Thinking about how this would all play out, I was worried about the several other people who also fall into the same circle of friends that I don't often see who would be offended by not being invited if he was. I think I'd rather face that awkward conversation, than the one I would inevitably have with him explaining why he was "uninvited". And you're right, he is only 1 more person. Next time I'll be more strait forward and won't talk about wedding plans in front of people who aren't invited! Thanks for the advice, ladies! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards