Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Potluck Shower (Hear me out!)

Okay, so I KNOW potlucks aren't advised for parties. But my idea for my sister's bridal shower was to do a cooking/recipe shower, so people could bring a dish, along with the recipe in a predetermined format so we could put them all together in a book for her. So she would actually get to SEE and TASTE the dishes she's getting recipes for. I thought it sounded fun. Then, if people want, they could also bring food and cooking-related gifts.

And/or: we could play some kind of cooking challenge games, like iron chef or throwdown, etc...

Would THIS sort of potluck be in poor taste (pun intendedWink)?

Re: Potluck Shower (Hear me out!)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You're still asking your guests to provide the food.  The recipe book is a good idea.  Ask your guests to bring their favorite recipe as you planned.  Just don't ask them to bring the food.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    JustineOliviaJustineOlivia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, yeah, that's what I was thinking...it just sounded fuuuun (I'm using my whiny voice haha). I think if we do a cooking challenge there'd be plenty of food anyway, so the potluck could just have been overload anyway...

Any other fun cooking/food/recipe-related game suggestions from anyone??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, still no.

That would be an okay thing to do for a casual get together with friends. But when you are hosting a shower, you should provide the refreshments for the guests.

Good luck.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that's a good idea for just a fun get-together, but not so much for a shower.

But I see nothing wrong with asking people to bring a recipe along with them to a shower.
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Asking people to bring a recipe is fine.  Asking them to cook really isn't. 

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Justine.  I think the idea to bring recipes is great, and you can send out cute recipe cards with the invitations.

Our DD's shower wasn't "pot luck", but was a dessert shower.  Each BM brought her favorite (homemade or bakery made) dessert, and a bottle of wine.  I contributed a fruit and cheese platter, and strawberry lemonade and water for those who didn't want wine. 

And then everyone brought along a recipe as well.  The BMs brought the recipe for the dessert they had made, and others-just a favorite without restriction.  Some brought main dish recipes, some brought sides, some salads, etc.

It kept the cost minimal for the WP, but the food was yummy!  We had begged, borrowed, and bought all kinds of different pedestal plates, so the desserts were beautifully displayed, and it's also important to know that it wasn't at a meal-time, so the desserts/fruit were fine.

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Things like this do not bother me at all. As a compromise could you say food/refreshments will be provided but feel free to bring a sample of  your recipe to share. Something along those lines.

If someone did half the things on TK that are considered bad ettiquette I would side eye them because I have been told it is bad ettiquette, not because I truly feel offended etc. That is just me. This type of shower would work in my circle where most of my family members and friends love to cook. Those who do not would not bring a recipe or dish. Ettiquette can be subjective in some cases depending on your circle. If you think most of the invitees would enjoy cooking something to share....then I say go ahead.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My shower was last weekend, and the hostess sent out a recipe card that she had made up that said "For Jessica and David's Kitchen" (or something like that) with the invitations.  People either mailed them to her in advance or brought them to the shower.  She bought a recipe box and gave it to me as a gift with the cards and extra cards for future use.  I really like the idea. 

I also agree with the suggestion about not calling it a shower if you want to do a potluck, and I think that would work out really well with the right group of people.  Make sure you take the bride's dietary preferences into account.  I'm a vegetarian, and some people that didn't know that gave me meat recipes, which is fine, but it would have probably been embarassing for all involved if they'd actually made the dish for me to try. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_potluck-shower-hear-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:36a1da66-5bd1-485b-b821-2f957d6e6a73Post:0d7dcfe8-e88e-46f4-8fef-c9d6c4d133ea">Re: Potluck Shower (Hear me out!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Instead of a potluck SHOWER....why not have  "Potluck Henfest" or something of the sort? Take gifts and shower out of the equation. "Let's gather and celebrate Sue's transition from single life to housewife! Bring your favorite dish and recipe on Saturday, July 1.  Let's give Sue a lesson in Domestic Divahood that she'll never forget!"
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I think this is a cute idea. :) I wouldn't be a fan of having to buy a present and cook something for a shower. The recipe card idea is awesome, though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lots of cute ideas, thanks so much for sharing, everyone!

I think the people invited would mostly just be family members, so if we did give them the OPTION of bringing the food from their recipes, I think they'd actually enjoy doing that. I don't personally think a bunch of gifts would be necessary because I'd imagine they'll get plenty for actual wedding gifts, but I think that will just be up to those who attend.

I really like the idea of sending recipe cards with the invitations, and calling it a party rather than a shower...I guess I'll just have to talk to my sister and see if she'd be devastated if she doesn't get gifts...I mean, her birthday and college graduation and wedding are all within one month, and so she'll be getting a LOT of gifts already! I know for me personally (my wedding is in August) I'd much rather have a little party (non-gift) with family to celebrate on a smaller, less formal level prior to the wedding, than have a "shower" where everyone feels the need to bring me a bunch of material things.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_potluck-shower-hear-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:36a1da66-5bd1-485b-b821-2f957d6e6a73Post:bc61bc4c-b9f1-4e54-ab56-3bde6e43a1c6">Re: Potluck Shower (Hear me out!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]But gifts are the POINT of a shower.  So, if 'a bunch of gifts aren't necessary' then you shouldn't be having one.  Do a pounding, or a potluck gettogether like Retread suggested.  But don't do a 'shower' and then try to make it something other than a shower (a party where guests shower the bride with gifts and then get to watch her open them).
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm saying, is that we might just have a party rather than a "shower"--I'm talking to my sister about it this weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards