Second Weddings
Options

2nd Wedding - Our Father's Wedding Attire

I'll be 40 when we get married and this is my second wedding.  Fiance will be 29 when we get married and it is his first wedding.  I have a 14 yo son who will be walking me down the aisle. 

My parents are very old fashioned, close to 80 years old and have pretty much stated they will attend our wedding as guests.  My mom doesn't even mean to be insensitive, it's just the way she is (I've learned to deal with it).  They live an hour away from the venue but mom recently told me they won't be traveling for the rehearsal or rehearsal dinner - it's just easier to only travel the day of the wedding (even though I offered to pay for their hotel room).

So this is fiance's first wedding and he really wants to go all out...and I'm okay with that.  Problem is, my parents are being willing participants - mind you, we are paying for everything 100% (I haven't asked, nor accepted a dime from my parents).

So now it comes down to the men's attire.  Fiance and his men are wearing chocolate brown tuxes.  He would ilke his father to wear a tux as well.  I know my dad won't want to spend the money on the tux and he has several nice suits that he wears to church - all gray or black.  Should we just have my dad wear one of his suits and have fiance's dad wear a tux ... or will that look stupid?

My only real option is to offer to pay for my father's tux, but even then, I'm not sure he wants to go to all the "trouble."

Re: 2nd Wedding - Our Father's Wedding Attire

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow Milesbella, I could have written your post (except, my fiance is not younger than me, LOL)

My parents are in their 80's and this is my first wedding, my fiance's 3rd marriage and first wedding "party". My parents live an hour away from our venue. My Dad *might* agree to walk me down the aisle, we'll know better about a day before, LOL.

They are very involved in their own lives, their health, and I've lived on my own for over 30 years. My Mom wants to feel like the "mother of the bride", but my dad will show up and (because he hates crowds), probably talk to the same 3 people all night.

My Dad's hobby is shopping garage sales. He's looking for a black suit. I cross my fingers daily that whatever he buys is semi-presentable. That is all.
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got nuthin'  Other than to say, thank goodness someone else on this dang board is marrying someone younger than they are.  My DH is about 10 years younger than me, and it was his first wedding, so that part I can relate to.   However, both of my parents are deceased, so I would have LOVED to have them her to argue with about my wedding :-)  but alas, it was not to be.  Mom died in 1998, and dad in 1989, so they never met my current DH.  :-(   In other words, count your blessings, and savor each day they're here to give you a run for your money.  :-P
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_2nd-wedding-fathers-wedding-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:a4ae5ae5-cd55-43f8-bea4-9e3d71c6c635Post:2ee1089b-16c2-44bd-b5bb-3bb12ec69fca">Re: 2nd Wedding - Our Father's Wedding Attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got nuthin'  Other than to say, thank goodness someone else on this dang board is marrying someone younger than they are. ...  In other words, count your blessings, and savor each day they're here to give you a run for your money.  :-P
    Posted by handfast4me[/QUOTE]

Okay, handfast ... first part ... FUNNY AS HELL!!!  Second part, so true so true.  My dad (90) is pictured twice in the dictionary ... in "C" next to curmudgeon and also "M" next to mule.  Mom (78) has Alzheimers.  God willing, they'll both be at the wedding in their Sunday best.  *fingers crossed* 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can only echo what the wise ladies have said - be grateful that he is still alive and you are able to argue with him.  Someday you will treasure the photo of him in his suit at your side.  And you will smile at his stubborn self.  My Dad was gone 16 years before my wedding, and my Mom was there.  I struggled with her old-fashioned beliefs and her dependence on me-on a day when I really could have used to have her helping me.  She's gone now- and I am so glad I had her beside me. 
    My siggie is there for a reason.  ~Donna
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I so wish my dad were here to witness this union as it is one that he would have approved of - but he's been gone 9 years and is missed.  My mom will be wearing  whatever color makes her heart sing!!

I couldn't agree more with the previous posters!
  • Options
    mdolivaresmdolivares member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think we all forget what this day is really about... it is about have your family and friends with you celebrating a joyous occassion.   As long as you and your fiance are happy together and the people who are happy and love the both of you are there to celebrate this day with you, that is what matters.   I am getting married in 7 months and my motto is live, laugh, love!   I am having a VERY casual wedding because if someone is in a ball gown or in capris and flip flops, they are there with me celebrating my wonderful day.  

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards