Pre-wedding Parties

shower guest list

My maid of honor is generously hosting our shower, and I was wondering if I should include my dad's side of the family that I have had very little contact with on the guest list. (These extra guests would be no problem according to MOH). They live out of state. I am doubting they would come or even send a gift, but I would like to make the gesture that I am including them. Not knowing more about the situation, do you think an invitation most likely be interpreted as wanting gifts or as a friendly gesture of thinking of them and recognizing them as family?

Re: shower guest list

• Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    No, I wouldn't assume it was a cry for gifts, since they're family. It might just look like you're extending a friendly hand.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_shower-guest-list-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:fa5dcb05-32a0-4467-9426-d6cf2f0e3bc8Post:b98ff2b7-2279-427b-a689-45337cb35e1f">Re: shower guest list</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, I wouldn't assume it was a cry for gifts, since they're family. It might just look like you're extending a friendly hand.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_shower-guest-list-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:fa5dcb05-32a0-4467-9426-d6cf2f0e3bc8Post:b98ff2b7-2279-427b-a689-45337cb35e1f">Re: shower guest list</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, I wouldn't assume it was a cry for gifts, since they're family. It might just look like you're extending a friendly hand.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]
    agree
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Are they being invited to the wedding?  If so, then yes, I don't see a problem sending a shower invite.  I live out of state, and family knows I will not be able to attend, but I definitely love getting the invite because I know they are thinking of me and want me to be there.  But if they aren't being invited to the wedding, then no.  You do not invite people to the shower you aren't inviting to the wedding.
  • Thank you for the input, everyone! That is how I hoped they would interpret it. And I am well aware of the rule that you don't invite anyone to the shower who isn't already invited to the wedding. Everyone who is invited to the shower has already been mailed a wedding invitation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards