Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

walking down the aisle song

ok my dad wants the stupid here comes the bride and i want something non tradional but my dad said the song i picked out is good for when evry one is getting there and being seated...is there any way to change his mind? anyone have any ideas on better song than Here Comes The Bride if so please let me know and if you have any ideas on how to change a dad's mind PLEASE help me!

Thanks 
Black Rose

Re: walking down the aisle song

• um, hello dear? it's your wedding!  (your day!)  tell your dad that you dont get many of these weddings (joke,) so you want it to be something personal and memorable. 
    do you guys have a favorite genre of music that you both listen to?
    im from hawaii and there are a lot of songs by local bands that ive considered.  good luck!
  • You don't need to do the Bridal March, but is the song you want appropriate for the walk down the aisle? Will your ceremony venue allow it? You didn't say what song you wanted, so it's hard for us to say whether or not your dad has a valid concern.

That said, it is your wedding, not your dad's.
  • I agree with PP that without knowing the song it's hard to tell if your dad has a valid concern, but that said, unless there really is a valid reason, like it's inappropriate for the setting you should use it. You absolutely do not need the Wagner Bridal March and I'm with you on not wanting it (major difference, my step-dad who is a musician has "banned" it as he hates it as well). 

If you're really concerned that the song you chose isn't quite appropriate or you're maybe wanting something more "traditional", here's some commonly used wedding marches and I know TK has a list somewhere. 

(Ignore the lack of trumpet in the trumpet voluntary). http://myweddingmusic.com/Wedding-March-Songs.asp

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I walked down the isle to "The feather theme" from Forrest Gump. for my mom's wedding...  It is different and pretty
  • I'm using the "Feather Song" from Forrest Gump for everybody to walk into and my brother is singing "Love Never Fails" by Brandon Heath for when I walk in. My mom is not neccessarily happy about the lack of traditional music but I am happy with my choices.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucket June 2012 Siggy Challange - Shoes
  • I'm using the Tribute to Michael Buble by Vitamin String Quartet as the processional. We're getting married in the garden of a historic mansion so we didn't have music restrictions but if you're in a religious setting there may be some restrictions like PPs noted.

What song did you have in mind?

Vacation White Knot
  • I'm using Apocalyptica's Nothing Else Matters to walk down to.. Luckily our families are fans of rock/metal music so no one's complained.. yet.
  • Look up vitamin string quartet..they might have a cover of your song or another song you like, but since its instrumental, might be a good compromise. We are using Alanis moresettes head over feet for my processional, If my family knew they would have a fit, but since its actually quite pretty and violens, my family is ok with it (I got my mom to listen to it without telling her what it was, she says its very pretty and would be a good song for the aisle).

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• I would just smile and nod.  It's not like your dad is going to stop walking you down the aisle once he notices the song is not "Here Comes the Bride".  I think my dad was so nervous he and focused on not crying neither one of us heard our processional song ("Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring").
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Ditto Vitamin String Quartet.  I walked down the aisle to their version of "All I Want is You" by U2.  It was beautiful.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I say walk down the aisle to what moves you!!! A friend of ours walked down the aisle to "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles and I am 99% sure I am walking down the aisle to Marry me by Train... Nontraditional but I love the song and my fiance also likes it once I played it for him... usually if it came out after 1975 he has no clue.
    Visit The Nest!
  • Try "Will you marry me" by Mindy Ellis. Its more country but its still pretty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm  having the same issue (not with my dad) but trying to find somethign to walk down the isle too. I really like the idea of the feather theme from forrest gump. Never thought to use it ... I really want Canon in D but my ogranist is saying for a bride we should have our entrance.. Still not sure what do you think?
  • I had to change the song I planned on because we decided to get married in a church instead, but I wanted to walk down the aisle to "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack.
    I hate the wedding march though, so tell your dad your fellow knotties have your back!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
    182 can't wait to partyimage
    76 are missing all the funimage
  • I recently went to a wedding where the bride walked in to one of the themes from Star Wars (I think The Throne Room). The rest of the WP walked in to different music, but I honestly don't remember what.

The music was lovely on its own; the people who recognized it (about half) smiled and laughed. Everyone was in good spirits.

The wedding was an Orthodox Jewish wedding in a synagogue. The rabbi may not have known about the music in advance, but loved it and mentioned it during the blessings.

Choose the music you love, as long as it is at a pace you feel comfortable walking to. If you're happy with it, everyone else will be happy with you.
  • edited March 2012

A brief history of "Here Comes the Bride" says that this song was originally played in a musical during a scene in which the bride murders the groom.  A more detailed story can be found here:

http://www.trivia-library.com/b/story-and-origins-of-famous-songs-here-comes-the-bride.htm

Mention that to your father and ask him how he feels about that song now.  :)

Also, just point out to him that it's your wedding so you choose the song you march down to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BlackRose21BlackRose21 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    ok thanks so much ladies and i'm sry i did forget to metion what song i had planned...it's a song i found on Youtube called Angel Tears here's the link if you want to listen to it  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4wdHgDfTQc&feature=related....and thanks for the advice...i'll try to change his mind :) and let me kno what ya'll think of the song! :) and there will be no restrictions on our music cuz it's gonna be in a park
  • In my first wedding i walked down the aisle to soulmate by josh turner. It is a beautiful song.

• At my first wedding, my entire bridal party walked down to here comes the bride as I forgot to work out that minor detail before hand... an apparently it skipped everyone elses mind too! ooops.....  Anyway... As I am a trumpet player & music enthusiast, I'm having a very close friend who is a jazz trumpetist / composer play trumpet voluntary for me(what princess Dianna walked down to) on his trumpet, with a backup of orchestral instrumentals.  It's traditional, but not the boring old wedding march... maybe dad will settle on something like that .... ????  Regardless, it is your wedding... and who evers paying, typically gets the final say so.  Good luck!
  • i'm trying to find some more songs...but it don't want Here Comes The Bride...he loves Adele so i was maybe thinking of Daydreamer by her or one of her songs maybe Make You Feel My Love or something like that but thanks for all the advice and help ladies Smile

•  I will e entering to an intstrumental version of "isnt she lovely" by Stevie Wonder.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards