Students

Wedding weeks before graduation?

Hello, before I start I want to wish everyone well and congrats :)

I have been dating my boyfriend for over 4 years now. We plan to get married in about 4 years. I previously went to community college and will this fall be transfering to a 4 year college (due to credits not changing over well, I will start as a freshman). We plan to marry may 7, 2016 (which is a few weeks before my graduation). I plan to apply to medical school so depending on how whether or not I get an acceptance, I plan to attend medical school and live with him in an apartment off campus or live with him in an apartment, work at a job to increase my medical expirence and reapply the next year. By that time, I will be 23 and he will be 24 at the time. 

My question to the readers is how do I begin planning my wedding while balancing school, job, and other activities. I have some big projects I want to make sure I accomplish early (such as application/removal of braces, completing things needed to marry in a catholic church such as meeting with the RCIA to get confirmed).

Thank you in advance :)

Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?

• Nice to see someone else planning way in advance (my date is March 28, 2015 and I've been planning for a year). Luckily you still have plenty of time to get things done at a pace that fits your schedule. For example, I plan on doing a lot in the summers when I have more free time. Plus, you are able to shop around and look for deals.

Also, you don't have to be confirmed to get married in the Catholic church. I understand you wanting to, I certainly wish I could, but don't worry if you can't find time to fit it in (I can't do it during undergrad because the only local church has it at a time that will never work for me).

Good luck with everything!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:6c7e3df8-fb25-4f79-9bec-a4e61463e9bd">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nice to see someone else planning way in advance (my date is March 28, 2015 and I've been planning for a year). Luckily you still have plenty of time to get things done at a pace that fits your schedule. For example, I plan on doing a lot in the summers when I have more free time. Plus, you are able to shop around and look for deals. Also, you don't have to be confirmed to get married in the Catholic church. I understand you wanting to, I certainly wish I could, but don't worry if you can't find time to fit it in (I can't do it during undergrad because the only local church has it at a time that will never work for me). Good luck with everything!
    Posted by Chloeagh[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thank you :) I think you have to be to be married. I had a friend who taught sacrements and cooridnated the RCIA and you have to be confirmed to marry. I hope you are right though

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:8fd6ac82-8110-41bf-a026-b6c6a3258758">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding weeks before graduation? : Thank you :) I think you have to be to be married. I had a friend who taught sacrements and cooridnated the RCIA and you have to be confirmed to marry. I hope you are right though
    Posted by Yankees413[/QUOTE]
    If you have any questions, go over to the Catholic Weddings board, they know everything! Check this site out: <a href="http://www.catholicweddinghelp.com/questions/unbaptized.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.catholicweddinghelp.com/questions/unbaptized.htm</a> You do not have to be a Catholic, or even baptized to get married in the church. If you aren't you just have to get permission from the bishop (which isn't a big deal) and it is not considered a sacrement, but it is still a valid marriage. If you are baptized, it is even easier (although you still need permission from the bishop).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • went to the website for the church we are getting married at. I says confimation is needed in our case. It says on the needed items "proof of  first communion and confirmation". Maybe I dont need it overall, but I doin this case
  • I encourage you to talk to the priest, not just look at their website - *one* of you needs proof of communion/confirmation, but not both of you. If confirmation and coming back to the Church through confirmation is something that is important to you for reasons other than getting married in the Church, congratulations and good luck as you begin that path!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• Before you firmly set your date, consider that you might be putting your wedding right in the middle of finals. I know if I had done that senior year, I would have been a ball of nerves all the time, and I might have failed a final or two. I do know people who pulled off getting married the week of graduation, though, which worked out nicely because all their family was already in town. Just food for thought.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:e51af7ff-477b-4653-939c-e4e2d69d84e8">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Before you firmly set your date, consider that you might be putting your wedding right in the middle of finals. I know if I had done that senior year, I would have been a ball of nerves all the time, and I might have failed a final or two. I do know people who pulled off getting married the week of graduation, though, which worked out nicely because all their family was already in town. Just food for thought.
    Posted by lissadelsol[/QUOTE]

<div>ii checked the current final schedule and it is the week after, so if we do our wedding then and go to my job weeks later (it's summer camp so I have a few weeks before I have to go up), I can do my honeymoon in that break.</div>
  • As somebody who is now a few weeks out from my wedding, I would NOT put it in my final weeks of classes. That's just asking to be miserable!
    I almost cried through my astronomy final a few weeks ago, knowing that I still had two months to get the final parts of the wedding together. 

My advice would be to pick another date. Is there a reason that May 7th is so important?  Could you wait until a couple weeks after your final and still have time for the honeymoon? Do you even know for absolute certain that you're going to be doing this same summer camp job in four years?  Also keep in mind that your finals schedule will likely vary wildly from year to year.
    I had a friend get married on the first day of spring break this year and then she went on a honeymoon for the next week. That seems to work really well!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:25fc1e18-ff64-4710-a0de-c8dee0077b0f">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As somebody who is now a few weeks out from my wedding, I would NOT put it in my final weeks of classes. That's just asking to be miserable! I almost cried through my astronomy final a few weeks ago, knowing that I still had two months to get the final parts of the wedding together.  My advice would be to pick another date. Is there a reason that May 7th is so important?  Could you wait until a couple weeks after your final and still have time for the honeymoon? Do you even know for absolute certain that you're going to be doing this same summer camp job in four years?  Also keep in mind that your finals schedule will likely vary wildly from year to year. I had a friend get married on the first day of spring break this year and then she went on a honeymoon for the next week. That seems to work really well!
    Posted by becky659[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We wanted May 7 cause it is our anniversary as a couple. And I am pretty certain I will be doing the camp thing for the next 4 years, they have a tendency to rehire who they work with and don't really hire anyone new unless nessesary.  I also wanted to do this so during that days I have off from the summer job I can look for a medical job with my B.S or B.A. in Biochemistry. I have a few credits already (from community college, though not enough to make me a sophmore) so if i plan right, I can grad a semester early. I am plaanning to do work study so I can get jobs on campus and fave.</div><div>
    </div><div>What do you think?</div><div>
    </div>
  • I think it sounds like a great plan, but I can tell you that my plans have changed a LOT over the past four years, since college is such a tumultuous time for many people.
    You seem completely reasonable, so just be willing to change your date if having that date is going to make you suffer.  I was originally pretty attached to my Oct 6th date, which was only a week from our original anniversary of getting together, but we ended up moving our wedding date to this June.  It's better for us!

Don't be attached to an anniversary date; you'll have the rest of your life to establish the new date and to remember your original one :) Be flexible and life will be so much easier over the next few years.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:b4d8e12e-3c15-408f-920d-9e193a01c82b">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it sounds like a great plan, but I can tell you that my plans have changed a LOT over the past four years, since college is such a tumultuous time for many people. You seem completely reasonable, so just be willing to change your date if having that date is going to make you suffer.  I was originally pretty attached to my Oct 6th date, which was only a week from our original anniversary of getting together, but we ended up moving our wedding date to this June.  It's better for us! Don't be attached to an anniversary date; you'll have the rest of your life to establish the new date and to remember your original one :) Be flexible and life will be so much easier over the next few years.
    Posted by becky659[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks :) I plan for May 7 but if I needed I will change. It's not set in stone, but more like a guideline to guide us through.</div>
  • Be careful about using a current school calendar to predict a future year's calendar.  In October 2001 we set our date for December 2002.  Based on the 2001 calendar, we chose Dec 14, which should have been the Saturday after finals week.  When teh 2002 calendar came out, December 14 was the Saturday BEFORE finals week.  Oops.  I was able to get most of my finals moved up a week, but it was still a pain in the butt.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:8d62d0fb-aa84-4c94-a0cd-1eb2365db1d9">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Be careful about using a current school calendar to predict a future year's calendar.  In October 2001 we set our date for December 2002.  Based on the 2001 calendar, we chose Dec 14, which should have been the Saturday after finals week.  When teh 2002 calendar came out, December 14 was the Saturday BEFORE finals week.  Oops.  I was able to get most of my finals moved up a week, but it was still a pain in the butt.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

<div>I didn't know that could happen. Wow, I am glad you told me. All I can do is hope and check ahead of time. The minute the schedule come out for that semester I will discuss it with my professors (hopefully I can graduate a semester early because of my credits from community college). Thank you very much.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:0e924324-8881-4a84-9323-232761bed46c">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding weeks before graduation? : I didn't know that could happen. Wow, I am glad you told me. All I can do is hope and check ahead of time. The minute the schedule come out for that semester I will discuss it with my professors (hopefully I can graduate a semester early because of my credits from community college). Thank you very much.
    Posted by Yankees413[/QUOTE]

<div>Before I figured out I could graduate a year early, I was planning my wedding for winter break.  I don't know about your school but for me it's a solid six weeks that does not move around that much due to holidays.  There are a lot of pros to having a winter wedding and it would give you just enough time to get married, have a honeymoon, and settle into your next semester.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:0741f092-ab61-41ad-87d7-b47c2267d847">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding weeks before graduation? : Before I figured out I could graduate a year early, I was planning my wedding for winter break.  I don't know about your school but for me it's a solid six weeks that does not move around that much due to holidays.  There are a lot of pros to having a winter wedding and it would give you just enough time to get married, have a honeymoon, and settle into your next semester.
    Posted by jfuntenatto[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you for the wedding advice. I don't want a winter wedding. There are many pros for a winter wedding but I would rather not deal with winter weather or dueling winter holidays. Also, that would be a busy season for the groom and he couldn't afford to miss work.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:0741f092-ab61-41ad-87d7-b47c2267d847">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding weeks before graduation? : Before I figured out I could graduate a year early, I was planning my wedding for winter break.  I don't know about your school but for me it's a solid six weeks that does not move around that much due to holidays.  There are a lot of pros to having a winter wedding and it would give you just enough time to get married, have a honeymoon, and settle into your next semester.
    Posted by jfuntenatto[/QUOTE]

<div>Six weeks?!  Jealous!  Ours was only 2 (though my senior year I got 3 since I got married and missed finals week).</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:b0361227-69e4-4376-a5b7-9874109b9f78">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding weeks before graduation? : Six weeks?!  Jealous!  Ours was only 2 (though my senior year I got 3 since I got married and missed finals week).
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE
    <div>
    </div><div>That sucks. Mine is 4 weeks, totally jealous of 6 weeks!</div>
  • saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wedding-weeks-before-graduation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1c0f7486-0ba3-4157-9e01-5b62830dcec5Post:e51af7ff-477b-4653-939c-e4e2d69d84e8">Re: Wedding weeks before graduation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Before you firmly set your date, consider that you might be putting your wedding right in the middle of finals</strong>. I know if I had done that senior year, I would have been a ball of nerves all the time, and I might have failed a final or two. I do know people who pulled off getting married the week of graduation, though, which worked out nicely because all their family was already in town. Just food for thought.
    Posted by lissadelsol[/QUOTE]

<div>This! I cannot imagine giving up a weekend before finals to do anything but school work. My fiance proposed a few weeks before finals (he waited for a final presentation to be done) and I still very nearly bit his head off when he was planning to come visit, because every day that he said "5 days til I come see you" all I could think was "3 days til this presentation of terror and doom" (for the record, I was glad he was coming to see me, but really focused). </div><div>
    </div><div>All of my friends who got married right after graduation were a big ball of stress and I can only imagine that would increase if you got married the weeks before graduation. I also agree with the pp who said not to get too attached to your current date because it already has meaning. It has 4 years of meaning, your new one will have (hopefully) 60+. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will plan for may (by plan I don't mean signing any contracts for anything) until I see the academic calender for that year. If I don't get into to medical school, I will consider a fall wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards