Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Returning and Re-purchasing

I had a shower today in my hometown. I flew into town and will of course be flying home. I'm thinking I'll return the larger items (to BBB and Crate and Barrel) and re-purchase when I get home. That way I won't have to deal with a lot of shipping, etc. I'm wondering if they'll be able to leave the items marked as 'purchased' on my registries so there's no risk of duplicates and so that if someone happens to look they won't think I just immediately returned their gift? Has anyone done this? Is this a bad idea for some reason I haven't thought of?

Re: Returning and Re-purchasing

• Options
    They probably won't leave it as "purchased" on your registry because they won't have control of that online tool.  If you purchase it when you return home there shouldn't be that large of a gap in time for your guests to purcahse these items. 
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I know once a gift is purchased from Macy's and marked as purchased on the registry, it remains marked, even once you return it.  A recently married friend said in her experience, all stores abide by that rule.  Most stores have a 1-800 number to talk to a representative about the registry, I would call them if you're really concerned. 

• Options
    I returned something from my BBB registry (the live color wasn't even close to what it had looked like online) and they left it marked fulfilled for me.  
  • Options

You have a brilliant idea to return items and repurchase closer to home.  When you return/purchase items, at least at BBB, I'm pretty sure they can check it off your registry or not.  Just return the items without having them added back to your registry and repurchase without having them checked off.  It shouldn't be a problem!  You don't even necessarily have to put the store credit towards the same items if you don't want to.

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    I returned items to Macy's after my engagement party about 6 months ago (didn't like the item once I actually saw it), they're still marked as purchased, and I highly doubt someone else purchased it for us since there is 11 months between our engagement party and the wedding.
  • Options

My suggestion is to return them before you fly home, get it credited to a gift card, and then immediately(or as soon as you can) go online repurchase the same things and have them shipped to where you live. If you have internet access quickly you should have a very small window of time before the online order goes through.

Also, you can tell the store when you return the item that you received 2 at your shower(ie your returning one, but the item is still "fulfilled")

What you could also do, is return them without recipets, and dont even let them know it was off a registery so they can't "unfulfill" it. You might want to take someone with you for this, incase they ask for id, and link the registery with the id.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards