Second Weddings

Considering a vow renewal for One Year anniversary?

So yes I seriously am considering a One year vow renewal. My Wedding was nice. I am seriously grateful to my family for helping us out so much with it. But to start off. My wedding was so rushed. Had to be planned within a month, and so much went wrong. I am actually catholic and married in a non denominational church because the wedding was rushed,and the minister didn't even do the ceremony like we had practiced. IT WAS SO RUSHED. We literally got married within 20 minutes. I didn't get to have a father daughter dance because my dad....well wasn't able to lets just say. The Dj was terrible and the venue we had didn't support the djs lights and kept shutting down for the first hour of the wedding. Other than that my wedding was nice. ANYWAY, I really would like to renew my vows with my husband. My wedding wasn't so big, and most of my family didn't even attend. Would it be too ridiculous to renew my vows so early? I really would like to, but at the same time it seems silly to do this again so soon. Obviously this time, my husband and I would pay for the vow renewal.

Re: Considering a vow renewal for One Year anniversary?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_considering-a-vow-renewal-for-one-year-anniversary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:965c93ba-0bfe-43ff-889e-c56a8f39f1a4Post:0d279661-2d9b-4ea9-8aa9-8c32a4f49c46">Considering a vow renewal for One Year anniversary?</a>:
    [QUOTE] <strong><font color="#0000ff">Would it be too ridiculous to renew my vows so early?</font></strong> I really would like to, but at the same time it seems silly to do this again so soon. Obviously this time, my husband and I would pay for the vow renewal.
    Posted by jenlul2010[/QUOTE]

Okay, wait ... someone else paid for your wedding a year ago and you're thinking of a do-over on your one year anniversary? To use your phrasing, <u>yes</u> it would be ridiculous to renew your vows so early.  Wait another 24 years and have that vow revewal on your silver wedding anniversary.

Even people whose weddings appear to be perfect have some things that go "wrong."  That's just the way things go.  Hell!  I was sick as a d_a_w_g and wouldn't dare redo any aspect of that evening.  Never! 

Well ... if H and I are still on this planet in 24 years and 64 days, we'll celebrate with a rockin' party. But a vow renewal? No thank you. Our vows were absolutely, wonderfully perfect the first time around.
  • Couple questions... why was it so rushed? Had to be planned in a month?  Not to pry or anything but was it financial reasons or insurance reasons?  Even so, a do-over isn't really acceptable.... By all means, celebrate your anniversary with your husband, but a "do-over"  is tacky.  
  • I think that in the Catholic relgion (I'm not Catholic, heck, I'm not even Christian!) you can have a convalidation, but I would just do it with the two of you, sort of a "blessing" of the marriage, if you will.  No PPD, etc. 

To answer your question, if I were to recieve an invitation to such an event, I would seriously give you the side-eye.  And I would decline the invitation to attend. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I feel it is absolutely your call!  My wedding was not my dream wedding.  (we compromised a lot to accomodate elders) so for our next anniversary (5yr) we are going to do it the way WE wanted it the first time around. I would keep it intimate with the closest friends and family or maybe just the two of you and then celebrate with others later. Good luck to you!
  • Yes! we are happy together! The whole point I put this post was to get answers and an opinion because I was CONSIDERING having a vow renewal. It was actually my husband who brought up the idea of renewing our vows. My wedding may not have been my dream wedding either, but it was my wedding after all.

Maybe a vow renewal for our 5 yr anniversary? Maybe 10? or 25? I don't get why some people get so worked up about having vow renewals so early in the relationship. At the end of the day its our call? &&& to be honest after several consideration we have decided not to have a vow renewal, not now any way. Just an anniversary Party in a few years into the future.

After all, down here in my small little town, doesn't matter if its a wedding, 10 yr anniversary, 25 yr anniversary or even a 1yr anniversary! People would show up regardless. They wouldn't "give us the side eye?" becase people don't care. heck people that we wouldnt even know would show up just cuz its a party, 

Now Im not saying thats why I wanted a vow renewal....just sayin my family and friends wouldve supported our decision of a vow renewal. 

• Do whatever makes you and your husband happy. There are no rules that say when you can and cannot do a vow renewal! People seriously take life and "etiquette " way too serious and need to lighten up...a lot. Tomorrow is not promised...so 24 years from now is certainly questionable. My husband and I got married at the court house in Feb. we plan to do a vow renewal and intimate wedding ceremony next year sometime as well. If you weren't happy with the way your day went and have the means and money to do it over.... then go for it! Plan your vow renewal whenever and however you want, and by your own rules...as long as your not hurting anyone or doing anything illegal, which is doesn't sound like you are to me : I don't see what the problem is or why it's anyone's place to criticize. Good luck and God Bless!
  • I think that if you want to renew your vows for your 1st anniversary, go for it...but maybe not have such a big party afterward.

My husband and I are going to renew our vows for our first because we were in a tragic car accident that almost left me for dead, so to start our 2nd year of marriage off to a better start than our first we have decided to do a small vow renewal in Las Vegas.

I think if you want to renew them, go for it. If you're happy and love each other and want to tell each other again how happy you are to be married, GO FOR IT!!! Have fun!
  • If you and your husband want to do renew your vows do it! Who cares about tradition and the norm! Do whatever you want to do its your life your wedding your renewal!

My husband and I are planning a vow renewal for next august because we got married at the court house on such short notice and his whole family is across the country and couldn't attend. My family was there but none of our friends and his family were able to attend and we want to share that with them. We are probably not going to register for gifts but we are totally doing everything else, the cake the dress first dances with parents everything and we are excited for it!
    The Early Yearsimage November Siggy
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_considering-a-vow-renewal-for-one-year-anniversary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:965c93ba-0bfe-43ff-889e-c56a8f39f1a4Post:9224907d-3261-4aea-918b-0a92bfbf1641">Re:Considering a vow renewal for One Year anniversary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do whatever makes you and your husband happy. There are no rules that say when you can and cannot do a vow renewal! People seriously take life and "etiquette " way too serious and need to lighten up...a lot. Tomorrow is not promised...so 24 years from now is certainly questionable. My husband and I got married at the court house in Feb. we plan to do a vow renewal and intimate wedding ceremony next year sometime as well. If you weren't happy with the way your day went and have the means and money to do it over.... then go for it! Plan your vow renewal whenever and however you want, and by your own rules...as long as your not hurting anyone or doing anything illegal, which is doesn't sound like you are to me : I don't see what the problem is or why it's anyone's place to criticize. Good luck and God Bless!
    Posted by wright2russell[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree! I think it's sweet to have a vow renewal. Some people have different reasons and timing to do a renewal. Only thing is I wouldn't register for gifts or anything. Hubby and I were thinking of having a personal vow renewal yearly to celebrate our anniversary with just us. Since our friends didn't attend our ceremony, we are considering having an anniversary party and that's all. Choice is yours and best of luck with your plans.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards