Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

More complicated invitation wording issues

Hi everyone, really hope you lovely intelligent folks can help me figure out how to word my invitations.

My mother and stepfather are paying for the majority of our wedding expenses. My father is deceased and my mother shares her last name with my stepfather. 

It's my understanding that one does not mention deceased parents on a wedding invitation. My father and fiance's parents are all deceased....but I'm worried some of my father's relatives may take exception to dad's name being absent from the invitation. My dad's brother, my uncle is giving me away along with my mom.

Another wrinkle is that *I* don't really think I should be listed as "their" daughter, as in: 
Mrs. Mothersname and Mr. Stepfathersfirstname Lastname request the pleasure of your company at the marriage of their daughter blah blah blah...

Should I just leave out "of their daughter" and go with: Mother/stpefather request pleasure of your company at the marriage of [me] to [fiance]

What say ye?

Re: More complicated invitation wording issues

• Options
    My dad is deceased as well and I was a HUGE daddy's girl so I struggled greatly with this.  My mom & stepdad are paying for darn near the whole wedding as well.  I'm having the typical mom & stepdad request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their daughter...because when it comes down to it, my stepdad views me as his daughter, and while I miss my dad tremendously every day (darnit, now I'm crying), he's as close to a dad as I could ever ask for.  It is inappropriate to mention your dad on the invite.  There are many other ways to acknowledge him on your wedding day.

I'm setting out this poem in this LINK ...fourth post down.  I've also framed a small picture of him which will be hanging from my bouquet so he is still walking me down the aisle.
  • Options
    Thank you for the wording! 

I do think the "ignorant, insensitive clods" remark was quite over-the-top, though. Just because my father's family loved him, miss him and want him remembered (as do I), and maybe aren't experts on wedding invitation etiquette, does not make them ignorant or insensitive or clods. That comment sure makes you sound snooty and holier-than-thou, though. And I said they may "take exception," not "raise a stink" which has quite an ignorant, insensitive cloddish connotation that I did not convey in my post.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards