Wedding Woes
Options

how drunk

do you need to be to not know that you hit a person with your car and their dead body is laying in your passenger seat?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7630000.html

Deputy Constable Paul Armand was making what he thought was a routine traffic stop early Tuesday morning when he pulled over a car that didn't have headlights on.

As he approached the black Mazda 626, the Precinct 8 deputy noticed the driver had blood on his face. He also saw that the front windshield was shattered and partially inside the vehicle.

The deputy constable then saw a body in the passenger seat, partially underneath the dashboard and with a severed leg.

"He (Armand) was shocked," said Precinct 8 Capt. Jason Finnen.

The driver, James John Onak, 45, told the deputy he didn't realize a dead body was in the passenger seat, Finnen said.

Police allege Onak struck 32-year-old Fadel Steadman with his car on the Gulf Freeway in southeast Houston and kept on driving for three miles while the man's body lay in his passenger seat.

Onak was later arrested and charged with felony failure to stop and render aid involving a fatality and driving while intoxicated.

Houston police, who took over the investigation, estimate that the accident occurred in the southbound lanes of the 12200 block of Gulf Freeway around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, about 10 minutes before Armand pulled Onak over.

Investigators believe Steadman had pulled his Ford Explorer into the emergency lane on the left side of the freeway near Fuqua after the vehicle broke down.

Witnesses told police Steadman was running back and forth across the freeway when he was struck by the Mazda.

The collision forced Steadman's body through the windshield, and he landed in the front passenger seat inside the car, police said.

However, Onak did not stop driving. Police said he got off the freeway and drove a few more blocks before he was pulled over by Armand on Kirkvalley near Beamer, police said.

Onak told Armand he thought he had hit something while driving down the Gulf Freeway, but he was not sure, Finnen said.

After discovering the body in the seat, Armand called paramedics and additional deputy constables to the scene. While searching the freeway, another deputy constable located the Mazda's licence plate as well as what appeared to be Steadman's leg, Finnen said.

In 2001, a Fort Worth woman, who after a night of drinking and using drugs, struck a homeless man with her car and drove home with the man crumpled in the windshield. She then left him in her garage where he died two days later. The woman, Chante Mallard, was convicted and sentenced to 50 years in prison in 2003.

Onak, who is jailed in lieu of a $55,500 bail, faces two to 10 years in prison as well as up to a $10,000 fine for the felony charge.

He is scheduled to appear in court Thursday.

Re: how drunk

• Options
    tawillerstawillers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holy crap.
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    edited December 2011
    Sadly this does not shock me. It makes me sad and extremely mad. That isn't the best freeway to begin with IMO when it comes to smart drivers. I always see cops on that stretch of road. I have had friends get into bad car wrecks on that same highway because of another driver.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not excusing the driver at all, but why on earth would someone be running back and forth across a freeway?
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    edited December 2011
    I think it says his car broke down. He was most likely trying to fix it and/or get help. His phone may of died or didn't have one. I see so many people jay-walking on busy Houston streets and hiways. Not to stereotype but most of the jaywalkers are not white. It scares me while driving and I am afraid I'm going to hit someone one day.
  • Options
    nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_drunk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1bfdbabb-f5c8-4ec4-8782-8e7629032f3dPost:65d10959-17a7-4d23-be2f-6caaff9a342c">Re: how drunk</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it says his car broke down. He was most likely trying to fix it and/or get help. His phone may of died or didn't have one. I see so many people jay-walking on busy Houston streets and hiways. Not to stereotype but most of the jaywalkers are not white. It scares me while driving and I am afraid I'm going to hit someone one day.
    Posted by erollis[/QUOTE]

<div>Sooooooooo, are you saying you can only see white people at night?  Like they self-illuminate or something?</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, jaywalking is not running back and forth across a highway for no apparent reason.  Jaywalking is crossing the street once or twice, with purpose usually.</div>
    imageimage
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    edited December 2011
    No I'm not saying white people illuminate at night. I'm just saying the majority of the people who do jay-walk are not white. I do see white people jay-walk too. We have no idea if he was running back and forth to get help, because he was also drunk or what. I'm just saying it's not an uncommon acurance to see people do foolish stuff around here. I tell FI Everytime we just barley miss someone darting into the street that that person is asking for trouble.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So only non-white people do foolish things like jaywalk?  I'm really trying to find your point in mentioning white vs. non-white people.  You do realize we are all pink on the inside, right?  
    imageimage
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    edited December 2011
    I just say it is more common. Houstons geographic location is in Texas which is close to Mexico. Although I must state that it is mostly non-white people I see jaywalk. White people do jaywalk also in Houston it is just the amount of them that I have observed is less. I also wasn't paying attention to names and just making a point. I was foolish to mention what I have observed here in Houston.

Also the definition of jaywalk:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jaywalking

I do not know what RPOTD means. Please explain.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

::lowers a bucket of water to erollis deep in the hole she has dug for herself::

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Racist/racial post of the day.

I wouldn't care if you said that you observed many jaywalkers in Houston.  Bravo for you and your keen eye.  However, race should play no part in you relating your observations to this story.  Barbie (the op) lives in Houston, too.  I didn't see her mention one thing about race and jaywalking being a pasttime of mostly non-white members of Houston's population.  

In all, a really stupid, worthless point to make.
    imageimage
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    edited December 2011
    Nic, thanks for the definition. It is obvious now I see it together.

I do seem to bring up stupid stuff from time to time trying to make a point but fall short. Live and learn.
  • Options
    Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also live in houston, have been known to jaywalk, and I'm white. Just sayin. (jaywalking in the sense of crossing a street not in the crosswalk or at a light) I'm also not sure why you pointed out how close we are to Mexico? Are you then saying that your jaywalking observation is about Hispanics vs white people? Bc there are plenty of non-white folk around here that are not Mexican. Not that it really matters.
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    edited December 2011
    QJ, my point never got fully formed and fell flat. Mistake on my part. Then I did dig myself a huge hole in trying to explain why I said what I said and still was unable to follow through. Like I stated, I say things to make a point but it just comes across as stupid. I do this from time to time.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, hang around.  We love telling people they are wrong/stupid.
    imageimage
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    edited December 2011
    Awesome, I will. I say something stupid every few months unintentionally.
  • Options
    ~~Busy.~~~~Busy.~~ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, just to confirm, white people do not glow?  Why did my sisters call me glow worm and make me cover my head with the bedsheets at night.  THEY SAID MY WHITE HEAD KEPT THEM UP AT NIGHT.  WERE THEY LYING TO ME?Cry
  • Options
    Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry...but I'm totally picturing Tobias Funke getting hit by the car because he was blue and no one could see him in the twilight.  
    Learning to live and work from home: My blog
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I just want to know if this post ends with me not having to call people who sparkle in daylight, vampires.  They're just really white people. 

Hey, I'm on vacation!  Only the heat index has ruined my fun camping/hiking plans!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards