Ohio-Toledo
Options

**cschuma2** -- cruise tips

I promised I'd give you the update when I got back and I didn't want to forget. :)  We got back last night.

Our cruise was *AWESOME!!!* We had so much fun!  I'm working on a FB album and I'll share some pics when it's done :)

Anyways, I know you wanted some tips in particular.  We took a Southern Caribbean cruise, so these tips are based on my experiences there.  The islands we went to were St. Thomas (USVI), St. Croix (USVI), Antigua (WI), St. Lucia (WI), Grenada (WI).  We were on Royal Caribbean, Serenade of the Seas.

1.)  Wear Sunscreen.  I cannot stress this enough.  Wake up, shower, cover your body in sunscreen (do not forget the tops of your feet!!!), get dressed, then go outside. This should be your daily routine.  Bring at least SPF 30.  I brought 50, and I didn't get quite as tan as I wanted, but no sunburn so I cannot complain.  DH forgot to put sunscreen on his legs when we went to Magen's Bay in St. Thomas.  He got burned so badly that by day 5 it started blistering... Not pleasant.  So, wear sunscreen!!

2.) Vendors & taxi cab drivers will HOUND you.  Do not make eye contact, do not acknowledge their presence unless you really want to buy something.  They will not leave you alone.  They may even grab you to get your attention... Just keep walking.

3.) If you want to take a tour of the island, the taxi cab drivers are the best bet -- not the prepaid excursions.  The pre-paid excursions are way expensive, you can get a taxi for a fraction of the cost and the driver knows just as much about the island as a hired tour guide.

4.) Also, if there is a particular place on the island that you want to see and nothing else (for instance, in St. Thomas, we wanted to go to Magen's Bay and nothing else), then just hire a taxi cab.  It was only $8 pp.  The excursion to Magen's Bay was $50 pp. The taxis will be lined up on the pier.  Just go to them and ask how much it costs to go somewhere.  Be weary about round trip prices unless they give you a coupon to prove you already paid.

5.) Drivers on these islands are insane.  You will fear for your life.  Maybe got to Cedar Point one day to prep yourself for the wild ride.  Most taxis are not air conditioned and do not have seat belts.  Yes, you will fear for your life, but it's part of the experience!

6.) Don't buy anything argricultural.  They will try to sell you spices and have you bring some things back.  You cannot enter into the United States with argriculture from another country.  In Puerto Rico Airport, they make you go through a scanner to check for argriculture.  If you don't have a green tag, you bag does not go back.   So if they try to sell you spices, just ignore them.  If your hubby tries to be romantic and get you flowers on the ship, have him get them like the first day. Because you cannot take them off the ship with you.  Customs will get angry.

7.)  If you can find an excursion like a booze cruise, or a pirate cruise, that was well worth the money.  We bought one in Antigua called the Pirates of Antigua.  All the rum punch we could possibly drink INCLUDED.  Then we toured around the coast of the island on a "pirate" ship.  We walked the plank, swang on the rope swing, and spent some time on the beach drinking more rum punch. Well worth the money.

8.) If you can afford it, upgrade to a balcony.  It was so nice getting room service delivered and eating on our balcony every morning.  I don't think I'll ever go on a cruise without balcony -- well worth the money IMO. But don't break the bank obviously.

9.)  Budget for at least an additional $500 to be charged to your stateroom card for various things: alcohol, massages, tips, excursions, etc.

10.)  If you can afford it, bring at LEAST $500 in cash.  If not, bring what you can afford.  Everyone accepted American currency and most places accepted American credit cards. The taxi cab drivers need cash.  Bring more cash if you do not plan to charge your tips to your stateroom (you can buy pre-paid tips online or they give you a form to fill out midweek).

11.) Pack shorts in a carry-on bag.  When you get on the ship, they take your big luggage and will not deliver it until sometime after dinner.  We were looking pretty gross after 14 hours of straight traveling, so also carry-on stuff to freshen up.

12.)  Buy pre-paid transfers from Airport to pier or be prepared to hire a taxi.  We did the pre-paid transfers and it worked out really well.

That's all I have.  Sorry for the quite lengthy post!!  I hope you enjoy your cruise! It's not till May, right?
---------
Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: **cschuma2** -- cruise tips

• Options
    rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    These are great tips! I can't wait to see pictures.  We are going on a cruise for our honeymoon.  I wish we could afford a balcony. :( We got a window room for the same price as an inside room, but to upgrade to a balcony was wayyyy more.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so glad that you guys had an awesome time!!  Reading this makes me even more excited for our vacation!  61 Days until we leave for Miami and we cruise in 63 days!  Yes, sadly, I have a countdown going... no judging!

It stinks that your DH got a little fried by the sun.  I learned my lesson last summer on vacation...  I was about in tears at dinner the one night due to my burn.  So definitely, sunscreen all the way for us.

I appreciate you sharing some of your experiences on the islands.  The experience in the ports is probably what I am most unsure about.  We haven't booked any excurisions yet.  I know that if we book excursions through Carnival that they guarantee that the ship will not leave without you if you're delayed.  I kind of like that peace of mind.  I have a fear of being held up for some reason or another and getting back in time only to see our ship sailing away.  Is that irrational?

When you used a taxi to take you elsewhere on the islands, did you have any trouble finding a taxi to bring you back to the main area?  Did you have to call somewhere to have a taxi come pick you up?  Perhaps this adds to my concern about missing the ship.

I have heard that the non-ship excursions or even a taxi and self-explorations is the way to go in terms of cost and seeing more.  I just don't know.

No balcony for us.  We just have a basic interior room.  We decided that on every vacation that we have taken in the past that we haven't spent much time in the room other than to sleep.  It seemed silly to spend that money when we could use it for excursions, shopping, etc.  I have heard that in the days leading to the cruise, the Carnival fairies will sometimes call and offer available upgrades at a good price.  Maybe we will upgrade if the price is right.  :)

I planned to take some cash with me, but it never occured to me to take that much.  We NEVER carry cash and I kind of feel uncomfortable taking that much with us at once.  I mean, seriously, if I have $20 on me, that's a lot.  Did you notice ATMs in the ports and on the ship?  Did they dispense local currency or American currency in the ports?  I don't want to deal with having to exchange money and get local currency from a machine.  However, I think I would rather pay ATM fees a couple of times and carry smaller amounts at a time if it's American.

I appreciate your advice on putting what we would need for the day of in our carry-on.  I didn't realize that it would take nearly that long to get our checked luggage delivered to our rooms.  I guess that makes sense though when I think about how many people are on these ships.

Oh, I have another question.  We have passports that we will use to board the ship in Miami.  What sort of identification did you need to get back on the ship after a day in a port.  I don't want to carry my passport with me in the ports.  I assume a driver's license is sufficient?

Did you have any days at sea?  Were you bored on these days?  We have 2 at sea days.  Most people that I have talked to have said that I will be more than entertained on the ship, but I'm still questioning it.  I just picture 2,000 people trying to cram in and around the pools and being crammed.

Ahhh!  I love vacations and I am so excited!  I can't wait to see your pictures!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you used a taxi to take you elsewhere on the islands, did you have any trouble finding a taxi to bring you back to the main area?  Did you have to call somewhere to have a taxi come pick you up?  The taxi cab drivers were lined up waiting for us to return in all the places we took a taxi too.  I was concerned about this too, but my parents reassured me that a plethora of taxi cabs would be waiting for you, and they were.

Did you notice ATMs in the ports and on the ship?  Did they dispense local currency or American currency in the ports? Did you notice ATMs in the ports and on the ship?  Did they dispense local currency or American currency in the ports?
      There were no ATMs at all that I could see.  The ship will cash only a $200 personal check per cruise.  I would seriously take cash.  DH and I split the cash, so he carried half and I had half.  When we got to the stateroom, we each put $100 on us and put the rest in the in-room safe.  When we got change, we received American currency.  We did not have to exchange anything.  We saw some banks, but I doubt they dispense money in American dollars.  They most likely dispense in Caribbean Dollars, their national currency.

What sort of identification did you need to get back on the ship after a day in a port.  I don't want to carry my passport with me in the ports.  I assume a driver's license is sufficient? No. Bring your passport when you get off the ship every time.  The cruise will even tell you to bring your proof of citizenship with you.  Some ports did not even check ID, just checked that you had a ship card.  But at least two ports asked for specifically passports.  The islands depend on tourism, so they won't steal from you.  If they start stealing from the tourist, then the ships will stop going to those ports.  On all the islands, tourism was 80% of their industry.

Did you have any days at sea?  Were you bored on these days?  We had one day at sea.  We weren't really bored.  It was very relaxing.  We caught a movie, played some ping-pong, relaxed in the stateroom.  There was definitely plenty to do.  They had shows and classes you could attend.  And the pool wasn't really all that crowded.  On our ship, they had an "adults only" pool.  Ages 16+ and there was nobody there. Ever.  So it was nice.

As for not getting back to the ship in time, that wasn't an issue for us.  Just be mindful of the time.  We had to be back on the ship by 4:30 or 5:30 in some ports.  If you hae to be back on by 4:30, schedule your day so you're done by 3:30 and you should be golden.  Most days we were back with plenty of time.  Only one day when we actually booked an excursion did we cut it a little close.
    ---------
    Anniversary

• Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So I finished the albums.  I'm going to cross my fingers that you can see them. LOL

Part 1:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=276899&id=697523480&l=db4362c62f

Part 2:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=276911&id=697523480&l=9ee680621c
    ---------
    Anniversary

• Options
    cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for your help!!  Your pictures look awesome... and they are making me rethink our decision to skip a balcony!  The sunset was beautiful!  I am so excited to actually see those bright blue waters for myself!

I am getting even more excited for our trip!  I want it to be May right now!

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards