Wedding Party
Options

Short or long bridesmaid dresses?!? What color?

I'm having a big Catholic wedding at my church in April 2013...

Wedding party: 7 groomsmen, 7 bridesmaids, 4 ushers, 2 candlelighters, 1 ring bearer and 1 flower girl

Colors: black, lime and silver (with possibly purple OR hot pink accents???)

Flowers: white calla lilies (purple tie with white callas for bridesmaids or just white/lime flowers??) 

Attire:
Ideally, I'd like tea length lime OR black dresses. My MOH and 3rd bridesmaid do NOT want to wear lime or short...(they'd compromise lime vs. short, tho)...I thought about doing long black, tea length lime, long black and so on. I am just not so sure that would look right though. I also am afraid I won't like ALL lime dresses or ALL long black dresses...and it's hard to find that just right shade of lime that coordinates with the rest of the decor but won't blind everyone. lol 

Sooo I was also thinking all tea length black dresses...but I really don't want my bridesmaids to be uncomfortable in short dresses (they're super selfconscious of their "cankles" and one of them is a bit larger than the rest of the ladies) and I'd like for us all to look great in the pix. 

I plan on picking 4 styles of the dresses and let them choose what they want...I really like the uniformed look, so this is already a compromise for me ;) Will it look odd to have short/long dresses mixed? 

And then there is the question of vests for groomsmen, ushers and ring bearer....black tuxes with lime vests for groomsmen and silver or purple vests for ushers? 

Candlelighters....lime dresses? (if bridesmaids are all in black) 
Flower girl - white with lime sash =) I know this one for sure!

What color of tux vests for the dads (3) and dresses for the moms (3)??? I thought about having the ushers, candlelighters, and groom's dad/stepdad wear same color...so would that be purple? silver? or lime? 

Groom's vest...white or silver? 

UGH!!! Too many decisions!!! lol What does everyone think??? I know there are a ton of questions here, but I would really appreciate any feedback from all of you!! =) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Short or long bridesmaid dresses?!? What color?

• Options
    Why not alternate dress color? Half of my bridesmaids are wearing purple and half are wearing green....guys are wearing the alternate in a vest (bridesmaid in purple-groomsman in green). I would choose the length of dress depending on what everyone will be comfortable in...not just the girls, but time of year, fabric, etc
    My dad chose his own tux which is dark grey and stands out from the groom/groomsmen which is black....
    Also, my mom and FMIL chose their own dresses, they each happened to choose lavender and the only difference is that one is long and one is shorter :)
    Ushers we are buying alternating ties...they just need to wear a nice shirt and nice pants.
    You don't get to dress your mom, FMIL, or even father/FFIL...they are adults and should wear what is comfortable. Be fair to your bridesmaids and make sure they are comfortable with what they are wearing....this a dress they will more than likely NEVER wear again so don't make them feel uncomfortable while wearing it, lol
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    Your FI and parents need to choose their own attire. Don't tell them what to wear, even the color. That's not your choice. You chose your dress, so they get the same courtesy.

I wouldn't put the groomsmen in colorful vests. I would do black or silver. But your FI should decide what the groomsmen wear.

Talk to your bridesmaids about what they want to wear. Take a vote if you want. I would personally put them in black dresses, either knee-length or floor-length.
  • Options

I selected black tea length.  Personally, I like all one length, but different styles (ie halter, strapless, spaghetti straps, etc) are ok.  I also voted for black because, with fair skin, I hate wearing lime.  I feel too washed out.  Perhaps black dresses with some kind of lime accent?

• Options
    I voted for letting the bridesmaids choose between short and long black dresses. You can get them all like sashes. I'd put the groomsmen in gray/silver vests with lime bouts or pocket squares. I think with this many bright colors, having colored vests would be a little much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My friend had the same color scheme and all us bridesmaids wore black tea-length dresses (which can definitely be worn again-and I have worn once) and we got shoes dyed from david's bridal a lime green color.  It looked great in pics and everyone was happy with that decision.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would let them choose the length.  Some people are not comfortable showing off their legs for various reasons.  I think that, if you have people who are uncomfortable with that, it'd be nicest to respect them and allow them to feel ok during your wedding/reception, rather than self-conscious and upset.  As for the color, I'm of the opinion that that's yours to decide.  Unless you have someone who will absolutely look AWFUL in the color (ie a red hed in an orange dress), I think they should be ok with wearing the colors you want for your wedding.  I mean, I know people always say "oh, they should like it b/c they'll wear it again", but I've never heard of anyone rewearing a bridesmaids dress. 
  • Options

I vote for black dresses. It will make the other colors stand out  more.

• Options
    If your bridesmaids feel more comfortable with a long dress I would go with that. I also prefer black to lime green, but I don't really like lime green and I know I would never wear it again.

Also as PPs mentioned you don't pick the attire for your parents. They get to decide for themselves. Also as for dresses for candlelighters if you are requiring they wear something specific I would really suggest a black dress as this may be something they already own. I remember one of my friends was asked to buy a specific dress to be a candlelighter in a wedding and we all thought it was riddiculous she was expect to eseentially buy an expensive bridesmaid dress when she wasn't even a bridesmaid.
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Black dresses are classic and classy, and you can accessorize with a lime sash.  Also it will set the BMs apart from the candelighters - who you can tell to wear a black dress of their own choosing.   Flower girl in white with lime sash sounds adorable.

Ditto PPs about guys' and parents' attire. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    FYI, no one looks good in lime (except possibly for small children, but small kids look adorable in everything).  Please, please let your girls wear black. 
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I think tea length is a generally terrible length, but I'm also short.  I think it cuts people off and looks unflattering on most people.  I also think lime is a bad attire color.  I'd go with black and long, and all the BMs will be happy.  I had to wear green tea length as a BM once, and I couldn't STAND the dress. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Rach&Mike2013Rach&Mike2013 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it! 

The reason I was wondering about the moms' and dads' attire is b/c all of the moms keep asking me what color to wear.

If it were up to my FI to pick attire, he would wear a white tux with a bow tie and the groomsmen's vests would be red and yellow. (KC Chiefs) lol YIKES! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards