Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Disappointed in our pics...should we tell our photographer?

I am soooooo devastatingly disappointed in our photos.  We did not feel like we scrimped on our photographer at all, and I was really really excited about working with him and I loved all of his work.  We met him and his wife/second photographer at a bridal show, looked through all of the books, and were really excited.  It was one of those things that I didn't have any concerns about at all.  But for some reason, his work for us just fell really short.  The things he got are okay, but he could have done SO much more with some simple editing (which was included in the package and apparently he already did, but even a bit more would make so much difference).  He also missed a lot of things.  There aren't very many photos of the details/decorations.  We did one of the sparkler exits which I was SO excited about specifically and only for the sake of pictures.  Our sparklers lasted so long we ended up going up and back four times, and there are only a few pictures of it, and none of them are very good or useful.  We did a bunch of spins during our first dance, and he didn't catch any of them, and there were a lot of moments like that he missed.  The pictures from the ceremony are neither good nor useful.  There are very few artsy photos.  From 6 hours he provided 569 photos, so there are plenty, just not many good ones.  I know that I probably have totally unrealistic expectations, especially after poring over so many wedding pictures on Facebook, but I do also feel like he really half-a**ed it.  Sure we got his smaller package, but that shouldn't matter, right?  (If you want to see, (1) log onto:   www.bensharpphotography.com (2) click on CLIENT LOGIN at bottom of page (3) enter the following code for both the user ID and password:  ross2010)

I'm sorry to whine, but I wanted to ask: should we be honest with him and tell him how disappointed we are?  (I'll post vendor reviews, but he won't see them, and he isn't registered on weddingwire or anything.)  Part of me thinks that he should know, part of me thinks that it wouldn't matter, and I'm the type of person who avoids confrontation at all cost.  It's complicated by the fact that he's having baby #3 on Thursday, which may have influenced his effort (we also found out the night before the wedding that she wouldn't be there to shoot...which I didn't realize wasn't in the contract).  I'm just so frustrated/devastated and I need to figure out how to get over it!  (So suggestions on how to just let it go and move on appreciated as well!)

Re: Disappointed in our pics...should we tell our photographer?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you getting an album from them? The reason why I ask is because some photographers will have you pick a certain number of photos for your album, and they will spend the time editing the pictures that you picked.

Also, give yourself a day or two and then go back and look at them, there are a lot of  great shots there! Initially, I was disappointed by our pictures, but after sorting through them I realized there were a lot of good ones. I think sometimes brides get picture overload at first.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't say they are mind-blowing, but there are some good ones in there. I would definately tell him how you feel about the photos and maybe he could work with you to do some more post-processing.
  • Options
    PeacefieldPeacefield member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I don't think they're bad; certainly nothing to be devastated over.  They appear to be consistent in quality with what he shows in his portfolio (although his on-line portfolio is positively tiny). 

If you want a little more post processing, I think you should ask.  And if you were promised two shooters and only one showed up (it's not clear from your post), you should express some disappointment about that, too.  I'm sure that's why some detail or other shots are missing.

I didn't really see many artsy/romantic type of pictures.  And he looks like he was pretty heavy-handed with the use of his flash.  But again, I don't know that I saw much better in his portfolio.

Ask for some more processing if you have some specific things you'd like done, express disappointment over only one shooter, and if he offers you something over the issue great.  If not, best to just move on.

• Options
    Absolutely tell them! Granted - not much can be done after the fact (and sadly, you will have to get over it) - but a photographer LIVES in the business of critique. And honest critique is vital to those in our industry.

Many photographers (of all types) fail miserably because the study/work hard at this, buy a ton of expensive gear, then work in a vacum the rest of their career. NOT GOOD. Photography is like being a Doctor. It's a PRACTICE and requires constant honing and hopefully improvement. Critique is part of that.

Wedding photographers are (also sadly) the worst because it's a "one off" business. There is always a fresh supply of brides and these photographers (myself included) see them come and go on a daily basis - never having hired a wedding photog. before and planning what they hope will be their only wedding. Many photographers know this and are just lurking waiting for their next victim/subject with no real conern except for the cash register. Luckily, I believe that the majority of wedding shooters out there are dedicated to their clients and their craft - but some others could care less.

Having said all of this - go to your photographer, tell them that you aren't happy and what you think of the shots and ask him to take another swing at it. Sure, you can't re-shoot the wedding, but a revisit of the work with some better edits might be the difference between night and day.

Work with them, as I hope they will work with you.

If they send you packing and give you the brush off - scream it from the rooftops. Tell every possible new bride you can and have them consider someone else to trust their memories to.

I hope it all works out. Be patient, remember the golden rule, and maybe all will end well!!!!

Joey

http://www.fotowerkscustomphotography.com

Joey Bruno Fotowerks Custom Photography 635 Main Street Montevallo, AL, 35115 205-665-9970
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really like them.  It looks very photojournalistic.  However, it's important that you are happy.  I would speak to them about it if you are very unhappy.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I took a look at your photos and I really like them.  But what matters is what you think/  You looked beautiful and happy.  I could tell it was an intimate wedding...I enjoyed them.

If it really bothers you, perhaps you should tell him.  But you must be specific.  If there are specific things he missed that were agreed upon contractually, maybe you can get some money back.

Your dress was beautiful - Maggie Sottero?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Indeed, Maggie Sottero Karena Royale!  Good eye, Lisaandcorey!  But with some major alterations - changed the bow, the neckline, but in extra stuff underneath to give more fullness, etc. 

Thanks for all the input everyone.  I have made some decisions.  Regarding the editing, it's not worth having him do anything because my DH can actually do it himself, and we can get exactly what we want this way (he's a whiz at photoshop).  I may write our photog an email just to let him know how disappointed we are, but seeing as his wife had a baby today, I'll wait a few weeks, reassess how I feel about it, and then maybe email him. 

We did get a videographer, which I am really grateful for now.  We haven't gotten their work yet, but I'm also hoping that it will be possible to "capture" pictures from that, and that could compensate.

Also, since it rained 20 hours on our wedding day, and it was all supposed to happen in an orchard, and since we never got to do engagement pictures, we're going to go out on our first anniversary and get dress up again and have some photos taken.  We planned that before the wedding, but now it's just that much more important and key since we can at least get some good ones of us together outside, so I'm focusing on that!  (And then I can wear the jewelry I ordered that showed up the Monday AFTER the wedding, too.)

Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_disappointed-picsshould-tell-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:30750572-5888-4443-8a54-1dbf9e0e0f82Post:52a7e37d-c91c-4462-a402-5fe6aea2852c">Re: Disappointed in our pics...should we tell our photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I took a look at your photos and I really like them.  But what matters is what you think/  You looked beautiful and happy.  I could tell it was an intimate wedding...I enjoyed them. If it really bothers you, perhaps you should tell him.  But you must be specific.  If <strong>there are specific things he missed that were agreed upon contractually, maybe you can get some money back. </strong>Your dress was beautiful - Maggie Sottero?
    Posted by lisaandcorey[/QUOTE]
    Most photographers have it in their contract that they can't guarantee specific shots.  <div>
    <div>OP, I suggest you see if you can be more specific about what you don't like before you contact the photographer.  I don't say this to be snarky.  I say this because I'm not exactly sure what you are unhappy about.  You photographer can't help you if you don't let him know what's upsetting you.  If it is an editing issue, I would give him specific instructions as to how you want the photos edited.  HTH</div></div>
  • Options
    lana2007lana2007 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a photographer and I think you should say something.

But remember, what you see in photographer's books and website, are the BEST of the BEST.. if you didnt see an entire wedding of his work, it could be that he only usually get 20 great photos per wedding.

Sorry to hear that.

Lana

www.lanarenee.com
    With love from Chile... I blog. Check it out here: www.lanarenee.com
  • Options
    belgirlbelgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well after I got my engagement photos back from our photographer, I thought they were "good" but not "great" or super creative. So I did contact the owner and voiced my concerns.  He was so concerned about making us happy that he talked to his photographer about it, we got a second photographer gratis and the photos were MUCH more creative and interesting.  Little more difficult to get any satisfaction after the fact, but I personally would say something if it really bothers you--especially if you forked out a ton of money. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards