Moms and Maids
Options

plus size maid

all of my bridesmaids are different body types so I have already determined that they don't have to have matchind dresses just as long as they are the same color and length. One of my girls typicaly wears a size 16-18. She wants to go shoping for dresses however I'm not sure most bridal shops will cary a dress close to her size and I don't want her to get frustrated with herself (I love her the way/size)  she is. We have already looked at davids bridal they only had one dresses was flattering on her. Most of their current styles are to figure hugging. Any tips on what I should do?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: plus size maid

• Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Give her a color and let her get something on her own.  She doesn't need to wear a "bridesmaid" dress.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What type of dress are you looking for? I am in the same boat as you, I have 7 bridesmaids of all different shapes and sizes, I went to David's Bridal thinking we would do lots of different dresses and found a fantastic one that literally fits everyone of my girls perfectly. Here is the link, its long so I don't know if its what you are looking for. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Satin-Gown-with-Side-Drape-Brooch-8567_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Long-Bridesmaid-Dresses

I am a plus size girl myself so I know the dread of bridesmaid dress shopping at times. But honestly I was just in a wedding where I wore a dress that wasn't as flattering as I would have liked, but it looked great on us as a group. It was one day out of my life to give my friend the bride the best day of her life...I am sure your friend feels the same. That being said its very sweet of you to work so hard to make her feel beautiful too.

I also agree with PP you could always have her find one herself! Good luck!!
  • Options
    tseguintseguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I had the same situation.  However, I lucked out and found a dress that suits them all.  Try Alfred Angelo.  Rouching (not sure sp) is very flattering on pretty much everyone, in my experience that is. Because she is MOH it is really not that big of a deal as she can be different than everyone else. Goodluck.

• Options
    loramag48loramag48 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies for your help i think we figured it out... I was more dreading the trip to the store than finding a dress that looked good on her. I just didn't want her to get up set that she wouldn't be able to zip up a single sample dress in the store or even get them over her hips. We talked about it before we went I told her that I think shes perfect the way she is and if shes happy I'm happy. We also lucked out and the store we went to had a pretty good selection of dresses in size 14 and 16. She still wasn't able to zip them but you could how the dress would look on her in her size. She chose a dress by mori lee style #840 its an adorable dress for anyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Heres an idea. 

Why not just treat her like a normal person instead of a freak because she has a bigger then standard dress size?

If I were your friend I would find your attitude patronizing. 

My friend was able to try bridesmaids dresses off the rack in size 20 at David's Bridal. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    loramag48loramag48 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have been to davids bridal all the dresses she tried on were to form fitting! Also in because bridesmaid dresses run so small she is more like a 22-24. I was just currious if any one knew of a different store that carried plus size dresses. I also think if you don't have anything nice to write why bother writing.
  • Options
    melissak1qmelissak1q member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have 2 plus sized bridesmaids. I went with black and floor length. One BM found a great dress on the sale rack at Dillards. Davids Bridal mentioned that they can order dresses up to size 30 and can add fabric if needed to be a little larger. There's stuff out there. Just choose a color and let her find what she likes on herself. Be supportive and help her feel beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards