Wedding Reception Forum
Options

dance idea for guests

We saw on a tv show recently that a bride and groom put a song title on the table number card that goes in the middle of the table, and when that song would play, it was that table's turn to dance with the wedding party. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding this, but wouldn't that be kind of boring for everyone else? Would everyone still be able to dance, just not with us? I know it would save time trying to get around to every table to see guests, but isn't this kind of a cop-out? I need your opinions, ladies. He thinks this is a great idea, but I'm not too fond of it.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: dance idea for guests

• Options
    No no no no no.  Do not force your WP to dance with strangers, do not force your guests to dance at all.  Any time I've been told, "Okay, now your table has to do this" at a wedding, that's the point where I've finished my drink and found the couple to say my goodbyes.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I just can't stop thinking of performing monkeys, cause that's what I would feel like if I were in this BP.
  • Options
    This idea is actually featured on Martha Stewart Weddings. I thought it was a little cheesy when I saw it there, but as far as it being in bad taste - I guess it depends how you feel about Martha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it depends on your guests too.  If our wedding was just for my family, I think this idea would go over very well, but knowing the rest of our guests, it probably would not.
    We ran off to Vegas and got married!
  • Options
    Ditto pp's on both opinions actually.  I think it depends on your guests, but then again, if you have 10 person tables, and 2 people don't feel comfortable dancing, you're kind of making them stick out like a sore thumb if they stay at the table, or making them feel uncomfortable by forcing them to dance.

The only way I think naming tables after songs and playing them is at a buffet wedding.  The DJ plays the song corresponding to which table gets to go up to the buffet.  Kind of fills the silence while people get their food.  Just watch which songs you choose....no need for Grandma to choke on her meal when Nelly's "Hot in Here" comes on.....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dance-idea-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:bef34b90-150e-4c1c-8a7c-f134a1b23458Post:4166414f-ad37-4ec6-bde1-03863cb42ffa">Re: dance idea for guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto pp's on both opinions actually.  I think it depends on your guests, but then again, if you have 10 person tables, and 2 people don't feel comfortable dancing, you're kind of making them stick out like a sore thumb if they stay at the table, or making them feel uncomfortable by forcing them to dance. <strong>The only way I think naming tables after songs and playing them is at a buffet wedding.  The DJ plays the song corresponding to which table gets to go up to the buffet.  Kind of fills the silence while people get their food. </strong> Just watch which songs you choose....no need for Grandma to choke on her meal when Nelly's "Hot in Here" comes on.....
    Posted by goetzr19[/QUOTE]

We are doing this for our reception and are really excited about it.  It's going to be a really fun way to get everyone through the line and give the rest of the guests something interesting to listen to while they wait for their song!  But I agree that this would be the only time that assigning songs to tables would be a good idea.  I wouldn't dream of forcing my guests to dance if they don't want to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i wouldn't be there for  long. skip it.

• Options
    A friend of mine did the songs for tables to get their food thing. It worked out really well, but there were some tables where only a few of the guests recognized the songs (they did all food-related music)...had their been one that no one recognized, there may have been a problem.

I vote no for the dancing with the wedding party. I've never danced with anyone but my FI at a wedding, and really wouldn't want to.
  • Options
    Thank you for the help, ladies. I actually really like that food idea, but I still say I will not do the dancing one. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards