May 2012 Weddings
Options

Check! Cake!

So I just met with the cake baker to go over exactly what I wanted for my cake. I have been trying to make a decision for months about what I wanted that was a reasonable price. I still feel like I'm getting robbed with the price though. So here's what I'm getting.

3 tier
smoothed white buttercream frosting
1st & 3rd tiers Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese
middle tier is just white cake and cream chese

Its going to look just like this but with 3 tiers. And the cake topper is going to be a bingy 'F'.

And the entire cake is going to sparkle with edible glitter like this.

So its costing me just under $500. Heres why I feel like I'm being robbed. Because I still have to buy out of pocket the bling cake banding and the edible glitter. And that cake banding is NOT cheap. I'm excited about my cake but I just feel like its costing more then it should. So what do you girls think? And if you dont mind sharing, how much is your cake costing?
March Siggy: Our Furbabies Thunder and Tinkerbelle photo 576844_10151220437472389_274194501_n.jpg PhotobucketPhotobucket
He put a ring on it!!! 12-12-10! Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
For Sale Bio

Re: Check! Cake!

• Options
    I believe mine is $375 (I'm trying to remember) for 4 tiers and 3 different cake flavors with 2 different fillings. It will be butter cream iciing, as well. This includes set up and delivery, also.
  • Options
    I love the look of the cake and think it is very gorgeous. I do feel the price is a little much for what you want when your buying mostly everything.

My cake is 3 tiers marble flavor (on all 3) with buttercream frosting. They have to purchase a few things for the cake design but they added that in to the cost of my cake. Plus delivery and set up and all the extra stuff. I also am having a blingy topper which I purchased myself because I would pay the same either way.

This is my cake but without the bow, minus the top tier, and now flowers. My total was $627.71 with taxes and all the extra. The cake itself was around $550 or a little more.
  • Options
    bpphoto785bpphoto785 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I agree that it's a bit strange that you have to get your own glitter and banding - although is there a way you could use ribbon/material instead of banding?

We're working on a new cake baker right now, but our original cake was going to run $700. That was going to feed 120 + a top tier for us, cake stand rental, delivery and taxes. But our cake has a mountain scene on it so there's a lot of labor involved.

Here's a pic:
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Your cake is so fun! =)

We are having a 4 tiered cake.  Each tier will be a different flavor.  The whole cake will have buttercream icing.  They will be traveling about 30 miles to set up our cake for us.  We are using fresh flowers for the topper.  Our total cost, including tax, delivery, and set up is just under $500.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    S0095042S0095042 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    very pretty...but why are YOU having to source that banding? Isn't that her job?? I mean obviously you would need to pay for it in the end but they should atleast be buying it and then forwarding the cost to you...

Ours is 4 teirs (rounds), feeds 120 (top tier for us). It is a white butter cream with a black lace bottom border. The 3rd tier is 1 &1/2+ size taller then the others and is going to have fondent buttons down it with a flower topper. Here are my insperation pics.:

Flavors:
    tier 1 & 4 = Pinapple
    tier 2 = butter cake w/ chocolate filling
    tier 3 = yellow cake w/ chocolate filling
    Anniversary
  • Options
    First of all, congrats on your check :)

Our cake is 4-tiers, 3 different flavors with buttercream on the outside. We are also having to pay for our "banding" but the bakery told us we could just get ribbon instead, so I'm not too worried about it since ribbon is pretty cheap. Here is a picture of what our cake will look like.

We're paying $550 for it including set up, delivery, & the design fee. Oh, & the cake is serving 170 people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yea I dont know why they dont provide the banding or at least get it them selves and then charge me for it. But I guess that means maybe I can just keep researching and maybe try to find blingy ribbon that might be cheaper? Idk.. but I'll just hope for the best :) and thanks for all your input girls!
    March Siggy: Our Furbabies Thunder and Tinkerbelle photo 576844_10151220437472389_274194501_n.jpg PhotobucketPhotobucket
    He put a ring on it!!! 12-12-10! Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    For Sale Bio
  • Options
    I have no idea how much our cake is costing, but a friend of the family is making it so I think it will be less expensive than if we went to a bakery.

You cake is gorgeous, congrats on the check!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    thats gorgeous! I love the sparkles!
  • Options
    Your cake is so pretty!!  We have 3 tiers (but the bottom tier is double) with some very intricate details on the cake...2 flavors with buttercream/cream cheese frosting, tax and delivery for about $725.00.  I think prices truly fluctuate depending on area, expertise and details.  It's unusual to have to purchase anything except your topper so, that part is a little concerning.  I think the price would seem more in line if all of those items you have to purchase were included.  
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Umm we are having pretty much the exact same cake, but round & without the glitter!  I  haven't asked them if I have to buy the banding myself yet, but I probably should!  Let me know where you get it from in case I have to buy it =]

photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Our cake looks like this:

Ours will be three tiers and all three tiers are a different flavor. It's included in our package from the hotel but I think it works out to be about $450 including delivery. We are getting a silver "R" to put on the top of it that we have to supply but that's the only thing we have to supply.

We had talked about banding instead of the dots and were told that we would have to provide the banding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards