Not Engaged Yet
Options

Posting E-rings on FB?

One of my best guy friends just asked his GF to marry him! And she said yes! So happy for them! I've known the girl for a year now, and I wouldn't say we're buddy buddy, but we are friendly with each other and have gone on double dates. Needless to say, we're friends on FB and I got a look at her e-ring... from several different angles... on her hand, off her hand, on a rock, on a flower, hanging from a string, on (what I assume is) a pillow, and of course - in the ring box. Granted, this is a very lovely ring and I liked looking at it (from an admiration of creative photography standpoint) but started thinking "I wonder what other people think about posting e-ring pics to FB." I've seen many ring pictures posted to FB and never really thought anything of it until I saw this girl's photos.

Do folks think it is tacky? Show-offy? Enjoyable? Exciting? Entertaining? Showing pride in her Fiancee's taste in jewelry? etc.
Would you/have you posted pics of it to FB? Used it as your profile pic (as she is doing), or anything else?

(I am sure this has been asked before, but I am just curious what you all think. ^__^)

imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Posting E-rings on FB?

• Options
    I'm indifferent.  I wouldn't want my news feed spammed with pics every day or anything, but I do like seeing people's rings, so I don't mind a photo or two.

I personally didn't put any ring pictures on facebook.  The only one there is the one Tarra took.
  • Options
    I'm fairly indifferent, and I don't mind seeing 1 or 2 pics, but any more than that and I get a little annoyed. It's kind of show-offy and tacky, and just unnecessary.

I didn't put any ring pics on FBook. I might post some e-pics once we have those done, which might include a ring pic, but I'm also not too worried about it either way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    I think you forgot a couple of options!
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    I don't mind seeing a picture of anyone's E-ring on facebook (after all, people ARE going to ask to see it), but I don't need to see it from 50 million views every day for the next year. On the hand and off the hand, okay, but I really don't care what it looks like on a rock as opposed to on top of a book. 
  • Options
    I like seeing the ring, but only one or two pictures.  Several of my friends made picture albums on FB with just pictures of the ring.  Yes, your ring is pretty, but I don't need to see it from 20 different angles.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_posting-e-rings-on-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a0b05daf-a69d-47cd-aeec-3ac03bf52cd2Post:66e0f737-6fe1-4f2c-9f3b-73f598ff891f">Re: Posting E-rings on FB?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like seeing the ring, but only one or two pictures.  Several of my friends made picture albums on FB with just pictures of the ring.  Yes, your ring is pretty, but I don't need to see it from 20 different angles.
    Posted by kaitlynmichelle[/QUOTE]

<div>Oops, I guess I'm guilty of this, but I'll start by answering your question: I like when people post what their ring looks like, because I'm always curious.</div><div>
    </div><div>I started an album on facebook called 'Adventures of my ring.' It started off as a joke, but I have posted pictures of my ring in NYC, my ring in Nordstrom's, at the golf course, on top of a mountain, in Germany, in Prague... I maybe post one picture the ring a week. I'm sure some people hate it, but there are other people that have gotten a good laugh out of it, and who bust my chops about it.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    I think there's nothing wrong with posting e-ring pics on FB.  I think more than a couple CAN be excessive, but in general, I think biitching about other people's excitement is tacky.
  • Options

Like I said in my original post, I hadn't thought about it until I saw this girl's photos - not because I thought anything bad of it, but because I just have a curious side and wonder what other people thought. This girl did go a little over the top with the number of pictures, but I think taking X-amount of shots in one and flooding FB with them is different from what Tiger did. Taking a picture of a ring in several locations is a creative way to track where you (and your ring) have been. I think the idea is interesting, especially if you're someone who likes to travel!

I think I should have put "I think it is bragging" and "I think it is flaunting" as choices too - because I could see how, if someone made an album called "My 3.5 ct, Ideal Brilliant Round Cut, IF, D-color, custom Tiffany's Original Engagement Ring", it could be viewed as bragging or flaunting. (Though I've never seen anyone do this...)

The more I am thinking about it, I like to see if the guy had good taste in rings, and it is interesting seeing the styles of rings. I didn't even KNOW you could put four little square diamonds together to make a larger looking center. Diamonds on the band of the e-ring also seem to be popular!

I also agree that creative shots of rings is A.O.K. I love seeing creative photography - regardless of what the subject is.

Would I put a picture of an engagement ring on FB... perhaps, but I'll cross that bridge when/if the time comes. Shoe, you're right, getting upset over someone else's happiness isn't very becoming. I think there is a fine line between expressing opinions and complaining about something, and getting upset over someone else's excitement could make you seem green-eyed. Same could be said for posting pictures (of anything really) on FB. If you're proud of something, or excited about something, it is only logical to want to share it with your friends. However, there is a difference between showing something off, and being a show off - again this probably comes down to individual views. Ultimately you can't please everyone, so why not do what makes you happy.

It does seem that most people are indifferent - which is what I assumed, since I hadn't thought about it until today, and I doubted that many people sat on FB criticizing every picture posted. :)

((I guess I like to make long posts -_-' ))

• Options
    I think it all depends on HOW it is done and the general attitude of the the person posting the pictures. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kellyt89kellyt89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_posting-e-rings-on-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a0b05daf-a69d-47cd-aeec-3ac03bf52cd2Post:4100721a-c69e-452b-9f4c-e4cbb785a180">Re: Posting E-rings on FB?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it all depends on HOW it is done and the general attitude of the the person posting the pictures. 
    Posted by TheMutleys[/QUOTE]

<div>This. It also has to do with how much I like the person, lol.</div><div>
    </div><div>I think I would probably post one or two ring pics and I like to see the rings people get - sometimes it's interesting to see how it matches their personality/style.</div>
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I have one photo of my ring on FB, and I will be honest, it was my profile pic for a few days. However, we have a lot fo family and friends over seas who were excited and wanted to see it.

I was also really excited.

I did not get any negative feedback about it either.

I love seeing other people's rings, always have.
  • Options
    I don't intend to post a picture of my ring. One of my friends was also hesitant and asked her friends whether they wanted to see a picture before she posted anything, and even then, she posted one picture of the ring sitting on her desk and that was it. I'll probably PM people who ask rather than posting a picture publicly.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_posting-e-rings-on-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a0b05daf-a69d-47cd-aeec-3ac03bf52cd2Post:b602b3c7-7de3-4661-b780-2b32a5bbb7f8">Re: Posting E-rings on FB?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't intend to post a picture of my ring. One of my friends was also hesitant and asked her friends whether they wanted to see a picture before she posted anything, and even then, she posted one picture of the ring sitting on her desk and that was it. I'll probably PM people who ask rather than posting a picture publicly.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

You'd better AW it here!
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    I think that a professional photo taken of engagement ring/wedding bands should be excluded from this "idea" since I think many photogs consider the "rings" a staple shot.

BTW - now that I have read your posts, I started wondering... do you have a thread here dedicated to posting ring pictures? I would love to see what some of you have. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_posting-e-rings-on-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a0b05daf-a69d-47cd-aeec-3ac03bf52cd2Post:e6033bdd-aa69-46a9-b1a5-a47f43fe2683">Re: Posting E-rings on FB?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that a professional photo taken of engagement ring/wedding bands should be excluded from this "idea" since I think many photogs consider the "rings" a staple shot. BTW - now that I have read your posts, I started wondering... do you have a thread here dedicated to posting ring pictures? I would love to see what some of you have. :)
    Posted by LilTexasGal[/QUOTE]

There is a thread on the Just Engaged and Proposals board with ring pics.  But if you start a new thread, many girls are happy to show off their rings.  :)  We have these sometimes asking for the NEY ladies to post their dream ring and E ladies to post their rings.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_posting-e-rings-on-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a0b05daf-a69d-47cd-aeec-3ac03bf52cd2Post:b31af7dd-2d3e-40fe-b87c-4b17398ec2e4">Re: Posting E-rings on FB?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Posting E-rings on FB? : Right.  No one will say anything to YOU, but they might say things behind your back.  I think having an engagement ring picture as a profile picture is the tackiest of tacky.  I mean getting engaged isn't about the ring, so why make it seem like it is?  I texted or emailed pictures to anyone who wanted to see it.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Come on yaga... it's the tackiest of tacky? For the couple days when my ring was my profile picture, it wasn't about 'the ring' it was about 'the engagement.' A regular pic of FI and I would not have made the announcement nearly as succinctly as a picture of my ring did.

• Options
    I would really hope that people have better things to discuss than a facebook profile photo that was up for a few days, if not I feel bad for them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_posting-e-rings-on-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a0b05daf-a69d-47cd-aeec-3ac03bf52cd2Post:b0ccbb29-a567-449d-ad4e-387b728da5bf">Re: Posting E-rings on FB?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Posting E-rings on FB? : Meh, that's just my opinion.  I think my facebook friends got the point when we changed our relationship status to "engaged" and we made statuses (stati?) saying that we were engaged.  A picture of the ring as my facebook profile would have just felt to AW-ish to me.  (Again, I realize the irony of having my ring as my siggy pic for so long, but really that was to display that I went from NEY to engaged because I have posted on other boards and didn't want people to think I didn't know if my SO was BF or FI.  <strong>The comments I got about having it as my siggy pic are [partially] the reason it's gone</strong>.)
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it's funny/sad that people on a wedding discussion board would give you a hard time about having your engagement ring as your siggy pic! That never bothered me for one second.</div>

• Options
    I don't care unless it blows up my news feed with dozens of pics/poses/nonsense all at once (my cousin did this.  I didn't tell her she annoyed me with the 5/day shots but...she damn sure did).

That being said, I do like to see a pic or 2 of an e-ring.  I like shiny things :)

I didn't post pics of my ring, but I've always been pretty low-key and spent my formative years hiding from the spotlight so there's that.  Changing my relationship status got enough of a response for my taste lol.  If anyone asked though, I readily texted/emailed it out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_posting-e-rings-on-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a0b05daf-a69d-47cd-aeec-3ac03bf52cd2Post:01e97cee-f7ed-4078-81f5-4d72997c920b">Re: Posting E-rings on FB?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Posting E-rings on FB? : I think it's funny/sad that people on a wedding discussion board would give you a hard time about having your engagement ring as your siggy pic! That never bothered me for one second.
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

I second this Tiger. If you're on a wedding board I would expect to see lots or people setting their rings as their  sigs or avatars (profile pic). I would also assume this would be an accepted thing, but you know what they say when you assume things. Perhaps I haven't thought about it from all angles though. -Shrug- Who knows.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards