Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

sign for ring bearing sons

well its a year and a half till my wedding....but there is one detail that's got me stumped. I have two sons currently 4 and 1 I planned on having them carry the family pillow.down until I saw sign options for two bearers. now, I also have two nieces currently 1 and due March I planned on being flower girls. I am look for sign suggestions that either both my boys can carry about mom and dad getting married, "here comes mom" or a sign my youngest son and oldest niece can carry. cute/funny quotes welcome. I've seen all the standard "here comes the bride/your girl" but I want to incorporate our children more. thanks!

Re: sign for ring bearing sons

• I saw this and thought it was cute.  No sign but the ringbearer carried a small safe.  He reminded me of a mini secret service agent, so cute!
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    To be honest, I advise against incorporating your children more, especially infants.  They're too young to remember any of it, and your children are too young and too small to carry signs.

Kids that age can be very unpredictable-especially when they're off their routine.  I'd think twice about the possibility that they're going to cry, spit up, throw things, hit people with them, or otherwise not be able to handle what you're expecting of them.

And also, your wedding should be about you and your groom.  That's what your guests are coming to see. As cute as your kids might be, they shouldn't be the stars of the show.
  • Ditto Jen.  Also, you are on the brink of entering into a solemn vow -- funny signs aren't really appropriate.  Save the humor for the reception.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_sign-for-ring-bearing-sons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:16be3e02-6bd7-4e60-b07c-edd07a2e126cPost:9b234131-1e29-4fa2-8faa-be5056a2a243">sign for ring bearing sons</a>:
    [QUOTE]well its a year and a half till my wedding....but there is one detail that's got me stumped. I have two sons currently 4 and 1 I planned on having them carry the family pillow.down until I saw sign options for two bearers. now, I also have two nieces currently 1 and due March I planned on being flower girls. I am look for sign suggestions that either both my boys can carry about mom and dad getting married, "here comes mom" or a sign my youngest son and oldest niece can carry. cute/funny quotes welcome. I've seen all the standard "here comes the bride/your girl" but I want to incorporate our children more. thanks!
    Posted by duimstra2[/QUOTE]

I agree with everyone else.  Don't do anything else to try to incorporate the kids. They are quite young, especially the 1 year old.  The 5 year old can easily walk unattended, but do you expect a 2 year old to walk down an aisle carring rings and/or signs? 

Also, I would skip the infant being a flower girl.  How do you expect an infant to get down the aisle?

If kids are in weddings as ring bearers or flower girls, they should really be older than 5ish, so they can manage the walking part on their own.
  • Ditto the others. A child that young (1, who will be 2 at the time of the wedding) is not old enough to even comprehend what's going on or walk down the aisle and be in charge of any sort of task. I think having the 5 year old as a ring bearer is fine, but I wouldn't try to do any cute/funny signs, and I would probably leave the younger child out of the wedding completely. If anything, I guess you could have a friend/family member carry him down the aisle.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Im sorry I disagree with everyone else! They are your kids! They are who mean the most to you, if you want them to walk down the isle and be apart of it then you can figure out a way! Maybe have a junior brides maid help the little ones down the isle or something. But like everyone said, its your day... do what YOU want. If your guest know and love you, then they are going to LOVE the fact that you incorporated your children! :)

To actually answer your question instead of just telling you not to involve your kids:  I absolutely love the sign that says "Here comes your girl" In my wedding we are going to have my fiance's nephew carry a sign that says "Uncle Taylor, here comes your girl!" But if you want to make it more personal, the boys could carry a sign saying something like "Dang daddy, mommy looks good!" or something along those lines! :) And for the flower girls since they are so young, maybe have them just toss petals and have maybe a junior brides maid thats sole purpose is to help the kids down the isle. She could walk right behind them to make sure they dont act up or anything :) There are plenty of ways around the age factor :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_sign-for-ring-bearing-sons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:16be3e02-6bd7-4e60-b07c-edd07a2e126cPost:d9c77b4d-f83f-47df-a1ca-76895d2b3615">Re: sign for ring bearing sons</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im sorry I disagree with everyone else! They are your kids! They are who mean the most to you, if you want them to walk down the isle and be apart of it then you can figure out a way! Maybe have a junior brides maid help the little ones down the isle or something. But like everyone said, its your day... do what YOU want. If your guest know and love you, then they are going to LOVE the fact that you incorporated your children! :) To actually answer your question instead of just telling you not to involve your kids:  I absolutely love the sign that says "Here comes your girl" In my wedding we are going to have my fiance's nephew carry a sign that says "Uncle Taylor, here comes your girl!" But if you want to make it more personal, the boys could carry a sign saying something like "Dang daddy, mommy looks good!" or something along those lines! :) And for the flower girls since they are so young, maybe have them just toss petals and have maybe a junior brides maid thats sole purpose is to help the kids down the isle. She could walk right behind them to make sure they dont act up or anything :) There are plenty of ways around the age factor :)
    Posted by celestinerugh[/QUOTE]

Where does this "it's your day...do what YOU want" come from?
  • People need to stop with saying children shouldn't be in the wedding. I will have a 5 month old niece when we get married and she may not remember the day itself but she will remember not being in the pictures when she see her aunts wedding pictures. If you can find a way to incorporate all those babies I say go for it. You will remember how they made your day special. It's not just about you it's about joining families. I am having my sister carry her instead of carrying flowers, and then she will pass her off to one of the grandmas. We are all super excited to have her, my 7 year old godson, his 10 year old sister, and another of my girls daughter that will be 2 as our flower girl. They are all important to me so they should be a part of our day. Good luck!!!
    Bunny ??
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_sign-for-ring-bearing-sons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:16be3e02-6bd7-4e60-b07c-edd07a2e126cPost:1b08da69-0166-4208-997a-21cdba69a5da">Re:sign for ring bearing sons</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>People need to stop with saying children shouldn't be in the wedding.</strong> I will have a 5 month old niece when we get married and she may not remember the day itself but she will remember not being in the pictures when she see her aunts wedding pictures. If you can find a way to incorporate all those babies I say go for it. You will remember how they made your day special. It's not just about you it's about joining families. I am having my sister carry her instead of carrying flowers, and then she will pass her off to one of the grandmas. We are all super excited to have her, my 7 year old godson, his 10 year old sister, and another of my girls daughter that will be 2 as our flower girl. They are all important to me so they should be a part of our day. Good luck!!!
    Posted by fancybunny[/QUOTE]

It's not up to you to decide what people should say.

No one is suggesting the children not be <em>at</em> the wedding or not in pictures, because there isn't any reason for that.

We are suggesting that the OP's children are too young for <em>more</em> than photos, that the feelings of children who may not want to participate be taken into account and that they not be coerced into participation, whether with threats of punishment or hurt feelings, and that children should not say "vows" at the wedding-especially if they aren't feeling smiley-faced about having a new parent replace the one who is separated from the parent getting married or if they are too young to understand what the vows mean, which is the case here.

Weddings are about the union of the bride and groom.  Regardless of how "important" it may be to the couple to have them present, it does not change that the guests are not accepting invitations to watch children carry funny signs or walk down the aisle looking cute. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_sign-for-ring-bearing-sons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:16be3e02-6bd7-4e60-b07c-edd07a2e126cPost:a540686f-73c6-440e-b1e0-5e2491825c95">Re: sign for ring bearing sons</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: sign for ring bearing sons : Where does this "it's your day...do what YOU want" come from?
    Posted by NYCMercedes[/QUOTE]

It is her day. If she wants to have her children in the wedding people shouldnt be discouraging her. Its rude.
  • some of the post were really funny. At the end of the day do what you and your husband would look back and say that was great, memorable... dont do anything that you would regret. The children carrying the signs have nothing to do with the vows that are going to be exchanged. Do what fits your personality. I do with agrree with a previous post suggestion that you consider the children... can they handle it, will it become a distraction rather than a wonderful addition... have fun
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_sign-for-ring-bearing-sons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:16be3e02-6bd7-4e60-b07c-edd07a2e126cPost:e1ff51c3-4d94-4bdf-bfb2-acbe8763ea61">Re: sign for ring bearing sons</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: sign for ring bearing sons : It is her day. If she wants to have her children in the wedding people shouldnt be discouraging her. Its rude.

No, it isn't rude to discourage her.  Her wedding is not "her day."  It is also her fiance's day as well as the day of everyone else present. 

And as noted above, we have valid reasons for thinking that what she wants to do isn't a good idea.  Her kids aren't old enough to understand what's going on, so having them "participate" beyond being there and in photographs really doesn't make sense.  And what if they were old enough to understand and didn't want to?  Their feelings count too.

And finally, the guests didn't accept the invitation to be subjected to the "cuteness" of little kids being used for something they don't understand.  The wedding isn't about kids making vows.  It's about the bride and groom doing that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_sign-for-ring-bearing-sons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:16be3e02-6bd7-4e60-b07c-edd07a2e126cPost:62545dd1-3b64-4d08-b3c7-323d70910d74">Re: sign for ring bearing sons</a>:
    [QUOTE]some of the post were really funny. At the end of the day do what you and your husband would look back and say that was great, memorable... dont do anything that you would regret.<strong> The children carrying the signs have nothing to do with the vows that are going to be exchanged.</strong> Do what fits your personality. I do with agrree with a previous post suggestion that you consider the children... can they handle it, will it become a distraction rather than a wonderful addition... have fun
    Posted by liztheo10[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes, they do.  There wouldn't be any signs were it not for the vows that are going to be exchanged.  And depending on the tone of the ceremony, "cute" and "funny" might not be appropriate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_sign-for-ring-bearing-sons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:16be3e02-6bd7-4e60-b07c-edd07a2e126cPost:5725eb8e-95f3-47de-91f9-8c25ab02a742">Re: sign for ring bearing sons</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: sign for ring bearing sons : No, it isn't rude to discourage her.  Her wedding is not "her day."  It is also her fiance's day as well as the day of everyone else present.  And as noted above, we have valid reasons for thinking that what she wants to do isn't a good idea.  Her kids aren't old enough to understand what's going on, so having them "participate" beyond being there and in photographs really doesn't make sense.  And what if they were old enough to understand and didn't want to?  Their feelings count too. And finally, the guests didn't accept the invitation to be subjected to the "cuteness" of little kids being used for something they don't understand.  The wedding isn't about kids making vows.  It's about the bride and groom doing that.
    Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]

you sound like she is trying to force her kids in your wedding. back off. you are just being hateful. If her and her fiance want the kids so be it. the guest dont have a say in the matter. they are only there to support the bride and groom. and you sure as hell dont have a say in the matter.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_sign-for-ring-bearing-sons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:16be3e02-6bd7-4e60-b07c-edd07a2e126cPost:9aeb4876-78ec-4530-b693-36b9af285097">Re: sign for ring bearing sons</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: sign for ring bearing sons : you sound like she is trying to force her kids in your wedding. back off. you are just being hateful. If her and her fiance want the kids so be it. the guest dont have a say in the matter. they are only there to support the bride and groom. and you sure as hell dont have a say in the matter.

Troll.  You're the one being hateful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards