March 2013 Weddings
Options

Seating Plan

So our guest list keeps getting bigger. I have a huge family(my parents have 9 and 7 siblings), FI's Dad has 13 siblings. So our intial count was about 250. Now with everything we're closer to 300. Our venue says it'll hold 450, but thats with tables on the dance floor, and I'd like to avoid taking someones table down after dinner. So we have figured that without putting tables on the dance floor we can seat about 250 people(I'm honestly not sure how they'd fit 450, maybe banquet tables insetad of round). What I've read says to expect 30% declines, so we should be good. But with such a large guest list and not wanting to have too many extra tables on the dance floor the venue really recommends doing a seating chart. I've never been to a wedding that had a seating chart honestly. Thoughts? Seems crazy intimidating trying to seat that many people trying to keep everyone happy.
siggyaugust Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Seating Plan

• Options
    jennipea382jennipea382 member
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    TK has a tool for seating charts if you want to use that as a guideline. I haven't really played with it but I know it keeps families together and such. I don't think we will have a seating chart, just a few reserved tables for our parents, grandparents, etc.

Also, totally know the feeling. FFIL has 12 siblings, FMIL has 3, my mom has 4 and my dad has 3 though one probably won't be invited (he has some mental disabilities that make it difficult to be around people.. I haven't even seen him in years). FI has like, 80 some cousins on his dad's side. We're not inviting them all but if we did.. we wouldn't be able to invite any friends, haha. But anyways, my mom just added all their cousins to the list so it's at like 270 when I was planning on 200 (venue holds around 250-300 depending on the table setup). I know a lot of them won't come but I also know I shouldn't plan that way!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    It seems to me that it would just create confusion by not having a seating chart, especially for that many people. Every wedding I've been to has had one. We're having a served dinner, rather than a buffet, so our venue requires us to do a seating chart but I would have had one anyway. To me, seating chart = less stress for everyone the day of the wedding. The fact is, its unlikely that everyone will be happy where you sit them. They are only going to eat their meal there for an hour at the most and then they will be up and about and can sit by other people once dinner is over if they'd like.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You ladies are helping me keep my small 30-40 person party in perspective! Bless you all!!

Julie
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    Seating chart=a god sent.  Having a seating chart makes it easier for larger parties because you also have to consider the ebb portions of your wedding.  By having a seating chart, you can mix up your single guests and your favorite party hard cousins.  Also think about where your DJ is going to be.  Grandma might be the last one in, and be stuck sitting next to a sub with a bunch of college age students. 

It really wont be that crazy even with 250 people.  I would start by placing like minded people and like minded aged people with eachother.  Aunt Flo and Uncle John despise eachother, you can sit them on opposite sides of the room.  Once you get into a flow of placing people out, it gets so much easier.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, the more I've thoought about it the more sense it makes. We also have a 2 friends in wheelchairs so this way we can assure they can comfortable get to their table. Now to start Pinterest-ing cute idea's for name cards!
    siggyaugust Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I initially was totally against seating chart because I don't trust RSVPs, but after meeting with my day of coordinator today, I think she has convinced me to do one ... at least tables, not necessarily seats.  I am thinking about using champagne bottles for the toast with number labels to identify the tables .. what's your guys opinion on that?  Also, I will probably just do a sign with names and table numbers for everyone to find their seat ...

My DOC told me that it typically relieves so much chaos, as people aren't fighting over tables, confused as to who should sit where, 3 seats left at a table when all have 4 in their party, etc.  Just seems like it makes sense ... my main concern now, though, is that this will be organized lateeee ... as in after all the rsvps are in.  I suppose we could get started with those we KNOW are going to be there, but ... eek... nervous!!  I'll check out the knot helper, and see what else I can find on pinterest...

We can do this!! Ha!
  • Options
    Hm, those are all some good points. I guess now that I think about it, it did kinda suck one wedding when we grabbed a table then realized the rest of the group was across the room (we would have taken up two tables with the "college friends" but it would have been nice to be together). I may have to reconsider!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards