Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Another STD question

Hello Ladies!! My wedding is on June 26, 2010 and we were not planning on doing STDs, I just figured it was an unnecessary hassel because they are not required. But now I'm kinda wondering maybe we should because June does tend to be a busy wedding month. I work for a family member that had LOTS of cardstock that he does not use, and told me I could have to use for the wedding, so I figured I could use those so it wouldn't be a great expense and I'm really good at DIY, so my question is do you ladies think June 26 is too busy do the STD, or do you think it'll be alright don't worry about them. TIA!!

ooo smiley faces!!Smile (just had to use it because they're new!!!
~yovey~ BabyName Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Another STD question

• Options
    I think you'd be fine without them
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think you need them.  June is a busy wedding month for brides, but not for regular people.  I wouldn't worry about it really.  As long as you tell the people who have to buy plane tickets about the date, you're fine.  Just send them an e-mail or give them a call.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would do Save the Dates.  It think it is a nice courtesy to your guests.  You're right, June is typically busy "wedding season".  I know I've had to plan around multiple weddings in a summer- it's nice to know ahead of time.  It won't cost that much if you get the paper for free.
  • Options
    You and I have the same wedding date! Yay for June 26th 2010!!
    Most of my guests are from out of town so I wanted to give them a heads up about the date so they can plan their holidays accordingly. I am printing my own STD's on glossy white cardstock. There will be a picture of us on them. I'm mailing my STDs in with my Xmas cards so, I'm saving on postage :-)

Total cost: $15.
  • Options
    My wedding is also on 6-26-10!  We chose to do save-the-dates due to the busy wedding season as well as the busy graduation season.  I know several of my cousins will be graduating from high school and are planning their parties around my wedding.  I was also told that June 26 is the busiest wedding day in our area... in fact, we are having a hard time finding hotels rooms to block!

The save the dates can be very simple (and cheap if you already have the cardstock!).  The previous post has the right idea... send them out with Christmas cards!  Ettiquette says they should be sent out 6 months before the wedding... the timing is perfect.
  • Options
    I really like the idea of save the dates because it gives you an opportunity to share your wedding website (and through the wedding website, people will know where you a registered!)
  • Options
    I would do STDs...for one the cardstock is free!!  and June really is a busy month, not only for brides but also for graduation parties.  I always enjoy getting a heads up!  June is always a crazy month in my family.
  • Options
    kee80kee80 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2009
    No matter when your wedding date is, I would do STD's.  People make plans so far in advance, especially in the summer, & June is always packed with weddings (I have four next June, including mine).
  • Options
    Yay for June 26, 2010 :)

I bought cheap pearlized cardstock and designed my STDs on Microsoft Word. They actually turned out really pretty (even I was surprised).

I wasn't going to do STDs either until I realized that, yes, there will be other things going on in people's lives. I'm having a small wedding and am only inviting the people who I would really like to be there, so it's important that they all know and can plan accordingly.
  • Options
    I think it is a great way to get things rolling for you.  Giving people a heads up for your exciting day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    EmilyAudreyREmilyAudreyR member
    First Comment
    edited November 2009
    Hi :)  I have heard that you only need to do them when your wedding is on a holiday or if you are having a destination wedding.  Other than that, it is totally your choice!  I think that if you will really enjoy making them and it will be a fun addition to your wedding planning....then go for it!!!  Plus, free card stock is awesome!  Laughing  But don't do it if they will just add stress to your life or relationship.  They're not worth that.  Your loved ones will make their best effort to be with you two on your day whether you tell them in advance via Save the Dates or if they just recieve invitations. 

Have fun with whatever decision you make!!  :)

-Em
  • Options
    I don't really like the idea of save the dates. Has this always been around? I haven't heard of them to maybe 3 years ago. The people that will be invited to our wedding are our friends, family and coworkers. They will all  know the wedding date before they get an invitation since we talk to them and talk to each other. If you need a double remider to be at my wedding you don't really need to be there.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    Thats my wedding date too. Its a busy time so I sent them out. I sent an email though... if you go to microsoft word's template website you can find all sorts of ways to do it for free. Its blurry on here but it was perfect in an email!
  • Options
    I'm 6.26 too!  I'm about to send out my save the dates in the next week or so.  I found some on printsmadeeasy.com  100 4x6 cards for 30 bucks! 

I'm not sending them out to every person...mainly aunts and uncles and good friends and out of towners who are most likely coming.  Hmmm...is that ok to not send to everyone?

I like the idea of std's because it just gives people a reminder to start thinking about it and looking for flights ahead of time.  Also, hopefully I'll start getting a head count - but wont count on it :)
  • Options
    That is my date too :-)
  • Options
    It really depends on your guests.  Do they typically take family vacations in June?  Do they need to book travel?  If everyone is local and June isn't a busy month for your guests, STDs aren't necessary.  If you just really want to do them - feel free!  Just keep in mind that every STD = an invite later on.  Don't get super carried away with STDs because they're cute and cause yourself a guest list headache in April.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    My wedding is June 21st and we sent e-stds. It didn't cost me a thing and it took like 5 minutes to do all of them. If you feel like you should e-std are a good cost effective option. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards