Plus-Sized
Options

Not able to try on my favorite dress

I went out on my second dress shopping trip today and I'm way more confused than I was before I started.

My first shopping trip was fairly successful - I found a dress at Alfred Angelo that I love (2180J) - it had rouching that flattered my figure and a bolero jacket that made me feel comfortable. It was the second dress I tried on, and while I didn't get the wow feeling, I liked it.

Today, I went to an independent bridal shop and tried on dress after dress that reminded me more of my prom dress than a wedding dress. After not finding anything, the owner pulled out a size eight that had rouching and pick-ups in the skirt -- a Casablanca Diamond Collection #A043. It was perfect. Exactly what I was looking for -- and wayyyy too small for me to do anything put hold up in front of me.  The owner than proceeded to pressure me into purchasing it without even trying it on. I've tried on dresses with similar tops and liked them a lot, but I haven't tried on a skirt with pick-ups in it.  I love the dress. I love the look. The owner said it's the best dress in her store to flatter my figure, but it's hard to hand over $1000 for a dress I've never put on.

Has anyone taken this leap of faith and purchased a dress they hadn't tried on??  Should I give up on this dress??  Part of me says move on, my mom and fiance say move on, but I love the dress.
photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg

Re: Not able to try on my favorite dress

• Options
    The question you have to ask is do you love it? i luckly got to try on my dress. Just remember the pickups add volume on the bottom. if you are worried about that, then its not the dress for you. Good luck. but i do know many girls who have bought without trying .
  • Options
    Unfortunately I was not able to try on my dress either. I did try on similar dresses though so I pretty much know what it will look like.
    Planning Bio
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    222image 50image 19image
  • Options
    I haven't bought a dress yet, but is there any way you can try on a dress in your size that has pick-ups and a similar type top so that you'll feel more comfortable about the purchase?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, as justdance said, can you get close to something similar that you can try on? Maybe go back to Alfred Angelo since you had a good experience there and see if they have something with a similar bottom and then the same overall shape that you can actually try on. Then you will at least have a sense of whether you like it on, which can be a lot differnt from liking it on the hanger (as we all know).

FWIW, I bought an Alfred Angelo dress I never tried on, but I did try one with a very similar top and one with the same basic skirt and I felt like that was enough to base a decision on. And now that I have the dress I am very happy with it.

Good luck getting this work out and finding your dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Justdance and Queen have good ideas.  Try on a dress with a similar skirt to see if you like how that looks on you.  I think David's Bridal has some with pickups that might be in your size, if you don't find one like it at AA. 

Then if you like the top and the skirt of this dress you don't try on, there is a good chance you will like it in your size.  Also, could you call around to other bridal shops to see if they might carry it in a larger sample size?  Even if it isn't quite your size, maybe someone else would have a size you could get into.

This box shipped toys? No this box is toy! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Is there another bridal boutique within 200 miles that might carry the Casablanca in your size, or something close?  It might be a fun day-long road trip for you and your MOH or BMs.  I'm not familiar with PA, but how far from Philly or Pittsburgh are you? Or perhaps something in MD?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up purchasing my dress from Davids Bridal. I was totally not expecting to fall in love with something, but I did on my first visit. They do, however, have a wonderful sulletion of dresses in larger sizes and styles. I would recommend them for, if nothing more, a place to try on similar styles to see if you like it and it would work for you.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had been able to try things on but it was hard because none really fit and I was scared to buy off that but I found a great store (wedding belles shoppe) in Drum, PA (three hours from where I live but my sister lives there)  Most of thier samples fit great even for a size 12-22.  It was a great experience and I found the perfect dress!

You have to know your self and where the dress will hit you.  The closest thing you can do is find one like it or call around and see if another store carries it in a larger sample size.
  • Options
    Can you call around to other shops and see if they have the dress you want in a larger sample size to try on? I personally wouldn't purchase something without having the opportunity to see what it would look like on.
  • Options
    Hi - I am in the north east part of PA and have had a mixed results looking for my size 24 dresses - not sure if you are close enough to try Bridal's by Sandra in Nazareth - they are amazing - they did not have my dream dress but they had a ton of dresses - pick ups are not for me so i asked not to see many like that but they did have a wide selection of different styles in over 16 sizes and my consultant said she had others but they had the pick ups - call them if you can go on a week day - they also have a prom selection- you don't mix with that area but the wait time might be a lil bit...
    Also you will be close to the AA signature store ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

I think the bridal salon made up my mind for me -- they originally said the dress would be $825, which was under my $1000 budget.  But yesterday I emailed them to confirm the price so that I could calibrate everything in my head.

Turns out, in my size, and with a jacket the dress comes out to almost $1500 because the $825 was only good through last Saturday.  Some of these independent bridal shops leave a lot to be desired -- this old lady that runs the place is as bad as a used car salesman! 
    photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards