Snarky Brides
Options

Jury Duty Poll

Since I just got called for a 3 week Federal Grand Jury summons im curious how many of you have served on a jury.

1: Have you ever been called to jury duty?  How many times?

2: Federal or Superior (is that right?)?

3: Did you get selected for the jury?

4: What kind of case was it?
045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker
DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!

Re: Jury Duty Poll

• Options
    I've never served, but I'd love to! I think it would be really interesting.. Maybe I'm weird though..
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_jury-duty-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:236b15b1-049d-4ebc-8e86-5679a1493ad1Post:3fb0642a-1a66-4b13-8ef2-d8ed6e19c5db">Re: Jury Duty Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been called for jury duty like 30 freaking times but was able to get out of it because of my hearing.  My mom finally called them and had them take my name out of the pool permanently. Blue, do you know what kind of case this is?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I dont.  I just know im required to be there for 3 weeks. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have always wanted to do Jury Duty, but I have never been chosen. If it is a three week long case, it is likely something pretty serious. 
    imageVacation
  • Options
    Three weeks seems REALLY long! Maybe it's a really interesting case? Or a long boring tedious one... Hopefully the former. :-)
  • Options
    1: Have you ever been called to jury duty? How many times?
    Since you can only get called once every 3 years, i have been eligible 5 times and called 4.

2: Federal or Superior (is that right?)?
    Superior (local) 3 times, this time is federal

3: Did you get selected for the jury?
    Nope.  No cases those days.

4: What kind of case was it?
    n/a

Im also curious where they pull jury summons from.  My suspicion is from registered voters?  If that is the case, i wonder if because i am a registered Rep in a state with a very small percentage of us, that I may get thrown into the pool more times than if i was a Dem since there is a smaller pool of us to choose from?

I could also be way off base here and just be the luck of the draw.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was once called for jury duty for a rape case. In Canada it works a little differently then the US I think. I had to show up, wait for my name to be called in roll call (they made sure everyone was there, if you don't show without a reasonable excuse you can get into trouble). Then they brought in the accused and gave us a high-level over view of the case.

The judge then excused anyone who had prior knowledge of the case, was related to the victim/witnesses that were going to be called or any of the investigators. Then anyone who feels that have a reason to be exempted gets to approach the bench and explain why they can't serve. After that everyone who remains has their card thrown into a hat and 24 people are drawn. They then have make eye contact with the accused and the defense and prosecution can "yay or nay" the potential juror. Once 12 are selected their sworn in and everyone else can go home. 

My name was never drawn and I haven't received notice since. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    1: Have you ever been called to jury duty?Yes How many times? 2 times

2: Federal or Superior (is that right?)? County

3: Did you get selected for the jury? Nope, I got a lot of books read.

4: What kind of case was it? Civil. They came to a deal both times
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_jury-duty-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:236b15b1-049d-4ebc-8e86-5679a1493ad1Post:75a9e36b-88ad-49b9-ae5d-b7e639c1c536">Re: Jury Duty Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Three weeks seems REALLY long! Maybe it's a really interesting case? Or a long boring tedious one... Hopefully the former. :-)
    Posted by overcomefame[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine said since its a grand jury that i probable wont sit on a trial, just that we will be responsible for determining if there is enough evidence for a trial.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_jury-duty-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:236b15b1-049d-4ebc-8e86-5679a1493ad1Post:30bdf653-fa0a-4415-9edc-0ffc8ecab9e2">Re: Jury Duty Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jury Duty Poll : A friend of mine said since its a grand jury that i probable wont sit on a trial, just that we will be responsible for determining if there is enough evidence for a trial.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Three weeks to determine if there's even going to be a trial? Okay, that doesn't sound so fun. :-(

Btw, I like your new sig pic!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_jury-duty-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:236b15b1-049d-4ebc-8e86-5679a1493ad1Post:ab67296f-4f17-4549-b788-2100282f6b20">Re: Jury Duty Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jury Duty Poll : Three weeks to determine if there's even going to be a trial? Okay, that doesn't sound so fun. :-( Btw, I like your new sig pic!
    Posted by overcomefame[/QUOTE]

I think we will hear evidence for many cases?  Im hoping someone replies who has done this before, lol.

And thanks!  It was time for a new one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I got two jury summons notices within like three weeks earlier this year. The first was for my former county - they hadn't updated their records yet, but I was ineligible. The second was local and I filled out their questionnaire, but never heard anything back.
  • Options
    I've been called for jury duty once but i was not selected. I don't like speaking in front of people and they asked a bunch of personal questions in front of everyone and it was just bad all around.

I thought your name was put into the pool when you received your license.
  • Options
    In OR, it's a combo of both voters and licenses and it's computer drawn at random.

I've been called twice, both state, once I was excused for lack of transportation (haha) and the other time I just never called back/showed up. Nothing ever came of it, yes, I'm a terrible citizen, lol.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Federal Grand jury does hear a bunch of different cases and decides if there is enough evidence on each case. I have sat on one jury before I went to law school and I enjoyed it. But I'm a lawyer now so the chance that I ever get to again is slim. Also, for federal jury duty I bet they draw from the pool of licensed drivers. I don't think it would be constitutional for them to pool from Republicans versus Democrats. Three weeks is a long time to ask a citizen to give up for jury duty, but thanks for doing it and I hope you have a good experience.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been called once, for civil court, and served on a jury (they settled moments before the jury was charged-what a waste of 6 days!)

Both my FI and BF have had to serve a full MONTH of grand jury duty-it was mostly boring. They heard up to 10 cases a day but then some days they wouldn't have any cases and would just sit there waiting.  

GL-bring plenty of reading material!
  • Options
    I've never been called, and I don't know anyone who has either.  My dad's in law enforcement, so I wouldn't have been eligible in the county where I grew up.  
  • Options
    My jury story is really pretty lame...I got called to jury duty at the county courthouse, and was selected to go on the first jury called.  I would have been on the jury, but I completely broke down and cried during the selection process (in front of a room of about 30 other people).  It was horrifically embarrassing, but I was let go completely, and they told me I didn't have to come back for the rest of the two weeks. 

I don't really even know why I did it, I just completely freaked out.  I guess it was the idea of determining this guy's fate--he was about my age, and was being accused of kidnapping and robbery.  I just couldn't deal. 
  • Options
    1: Have you ever been called to jury duty?  How many times? 3 times

2: Federal or Superior (is that right?)? Uhh IDK LOL

3: Did you get selected for the jury? No the first two times I told them I was in school or working and could not miss them. The third time I forgot about the date and never showed. Opps.

4: What kind of case was it?IDK
  • Options
    SEWFSEWF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1: Have you ever been called to jury duty?  How many times? I've been called twice. The first time was when I was 18 and they kept me all day before deciding I could go. Last time was in October (I think). They let me leave after three hours.

2: Federal or Superior (is that right?)? Federal, I believe. ETA: Oops, wrong one. Whichever is local.

3: Did you get selected for the jury? Nope! I don't know what it is about me, but apparently I'm not a good candidate. Also, last time I forgot to send in the form and set it in late. They probably didn't think I was reliable.

4: What kind of case was it? No clue. They always call for way more people that they need, but they get juries for multiple cases.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I was called once (county court), but didn't end up having to serve on the jury. I was super close, though. The trial was going to be on a Fri, Mon and Tues but I had my friends bachelorette party that weekend. Of course the judge didn't care that I would have to sit on the jury Fri, drive to Atlantic City for the weekend and then hike it back to north Jersey the following 2 days (all while living in south Jersey, I sort of never changed my license over to my new address, I just left it as my parents which is why I got called in my home county. Ooops). I don't think I used the term "bachelorette party", I think I said I had a vacation planned and already paid for (which was true, we had show tickets and I had already shelled out a ton).

So, I was put on the jury, but when the lawyers were dismissing jurors one of them let me go. I believe the case was an employee was stealing from a store he worked in.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    1: Have you ever been called to jury duty?  Yes
    How many times? Twice
    2: Federal or Superior (is that right?)? Superior
    3: Did you get selected for the jury? Yes
    4: What kind of case was it? Criminal child molestation case. We found the defendant guilty.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    Saxy- omg, that is embarrassing! But I could see myself doing that, I sporadically cry sometimes in stressful situations, only making them more stressful, ugh.

Ciara- Oh. my. I can not even imagine, I'm sorry you had to do that, blegh. Or maybe you are happy with being a part of the end result? Honestly, that's why I didn't do my jury summons, I feared the seriousness of the crime. 

I took a forensics class once and I definitely don't have the mind or stomach for that work. I don't even really like CSI and the like. Wimp, party of me.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    1: Have you ever been called to jury duty? Yes. How many times? I think I've received jury summons about 6 times but was only called in twice.

2: Federal or Superior (is that right?)? Superior

3: Did you get selected for the jury? I was selected for one jury. They settled during jury selection for the other case.

4: What kind of case was it? The case I was on the jury for was a criminal case. We found the defendant not guilty.
  • Options
    I've been eligible quite a few times starting when I was in college. I had to defer at that time because I was 2 hrs away so they let me defer until summer (county court).
    When I did go in the summer, I was called into the room but not called upon. That was a drunk diving case.

I went in 2007 and I got questioned but not chosen. It was a man suing the city (he started the process 3 years prior) for potholes being responsible for destroying his car or something. It was odd.
  • Options
    1: Have you ever been called to jury duty?  Yes How many times? 3

2: Federal or Superior (is that right?)? Petit Jury

3: Did you get selected for the jury? Twice, but one was declared a mistrial

4: What kind of case was it? One was pertaining to a car accident, and another one was about an 18 y/o who liked to play with little kids (baseball or whatever). He thought it would be a good idea to throw a rock which landed in a 12 y/o's eye and resulted in him becoming blind in that eye. 
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I1: Have you ever been called to jury duty? How many times? IYes - twice

2: Federal or Superior (is that right?)? Not sure... it was for a county court case (so superior?) in NY

3: Did you get selected for the jury? Yes - as an alternate juror. Had to sit through the whole trial but didn't even get my vote counted!
    4: What kind of case was it? It was a civil case where a student's family was suing an ex-teacher for monetary damages from a classroom incident a few years prior. The jury was unanimous (myself, the other alternate and the entire jury of 6 [only 6 needed for this case for some reason]) in finding the defendent not guilty so no monetary damages were awarded.

That was a wasted week of my life! The prosecuting lawyer was an irritating mix of the nutty professor and Matlock!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    Blue, I don't know if it's the same there, but here when you get grand jury it's usually only one day a week for however many weeks. My mom had to sit on grand jury for 12 weeks. She went every Weds for like 4 hours. But we live in a little podunk town. The charges she had to deal with were more along the lines of "should we charge mr. johnson with running out of the gas station with a hot dog again." Probably in Boston there's more stuff going on.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards