Chit Chat

Kids

My fiance and I have a little boy he will be 2 1/2 when we get married, and I really want to involve him in every aspect of our wedding. Anybody have any ideas? I want him to be more than just a ring bearer.

Re: Kids

• I know he won't care, or even remember if he is involved, but it is very important to his father and I. I was consdering having him walk me down the aisle, I just didn't know if there were any more ideas. I am thinking of including his name on the invitation?? Like I said, I know he won't know the difference, but I want to make it more of a family thing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_kids-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c9275458-bdf9-4698-b627-3c67673c0494Post:724dfb45-87a6-4cc3-a204-9468ce690e17">Kids</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I have a little boy he will be 2 1/2 when we get married, and I really want to involve him in every aspect of our wedding. Anybody have any ideas? I want him to be more than just a ring bearer.
    Posted by sandram06[/QUOTE]

You don't want to put too muh on him or else he will tire out quickly and be out for the night.  Of course, you know him better but a lot of 2.5 yr olds don't really grasp the concept of a wedding and when they are supposed to walk and what they are supposed to do at a certain time during the ceremony and everything else that comes along with a wedding. 

When you say "more than"....what do you mean by that?  I can't really think of too many things a 2.5 yr old would do other than carry a ring, which even then I would re-think, or carry a "here comes your bride sign"....but even that may be a bit much. 

• What about a unity sand ceremony where your son has his own color of sand that he pours in while you and FI pour your two separate colors? I think he's a little young for it, TBH, but he might be able to. You could do a couple practice runs at home leading up to the wedding.
    Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_kids-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c9275458-bdf9-4698-b627-3c67673c0494Post:fb1cc128-da8d-41e2-ab75-3a6a4a50e4df">Re: Kids</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about a unity sand ceremony <strong>where your son has his own color of sand</strong> <strong>that he pours</strong> in while you and FI pour your two separate colors? I think he's a little young for it, TBH, but he might be able to. You could do a couple practice runs at home leading up to the wedding.
    Posted by AceTT[/QUOTE]

Love this!  And it's something that you keep that will always remind you of your wedding day and 3 lives coming together in marriage:)

• sandram06sandram06 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to Re:Kids:In Response to Re:Kids:I know he won't care, or even remember if he is involved, but it is very important to his father and I. I was consdering having him walk me down the aisle, I just didn't know if there were any more ideas. I am thinking of including his name on the invitation?? Like I said, I know he won't know the difference, but I want to make it more of a family thing.Posted by sandram06Only the hosts' names should be on the invitation. nbsp;A 2 1/2 year old can't host a wedding. Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE

I understand that, however we had a kid before we were married. I'm obviously not too concerned with following tradition, or being politically correct....
    ]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_kids-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c9275458-bdf9-4698-b627-3c67673c0494Post:fb1cc128-da8d-41e2-ab75-3a6a4a50e4df">Re: Kids</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about a unity sand ceremony where your son has his own color of sand that he pours in while you and FI pour your two separate colors? I think he's a little young for it, TBH, but he might be able to. You could do a couple practice runs at home leading up to the wedding.
    Posted by AceTT[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I disagree with this.  Sure, a two and a half year old is physically capable of pouring sand.  But will he understand what he's doing?  Does he hav any say in whether or not he consents to do it?  Pouring sand in a sand ceremony, in my mind, is symbolic of making a lifetime promise, which a two and a half year old is NOT capable of making.  Also, it's usually a symbol of blending families, which is not what's going on here (the bride and groom are his biological parents).   </div><div>
    </div><div>Have him dress up in cute clothes and take lots of pictures.  Maybe he can carry your rings, hold a cute sign, or walk with you down the aisle.  To do anything more than that is just turning him into a prop.  </div><div>
    </div>
    DSC_9275
  • Yeah, my FI and I have a daughter who will be 11 months old for our wedding.  I completely understand where you are coming from!  We want to involve her in our wedding as well.  I would agree with the other people who advised against putting his name on the invitation.  I'm not sure where it would really go, after designing my own invitations.  We haven't exactly decided yet how we will include her; we are debating between having her walk down the aisle with her 7-year old uncle (FI's brother) who is the ring bearer, then she sits with my grandma once they get to the front.  Or he pulls her up in a decorated wagon.  He is very excited about both ideas, by the way, so that is not an issue!  She is not actually the flower girl though.  And of course, she will be in lots and lots of pictures, and in the end, that is what we will probably remember most about the wedding, because the pictures will always be there to look at.

I understand that you want him to be more than the ringbearer, but it's hard to come up with something to involve kids who are so young.  You could maybe do the sand ceremony thing that someone said, if you like that.  I don't really have an opinion.   I never heard of a sand ceremony before, so I'm not exactly sure what it is.

But, my FI felt the same way about his little brother.  He said, "I don't want *Tommy* to be a ring-bearer.  He's my brother and my godson and he should have a more important job than that.  Maybe I'll have him and *Bill* (15-yr old brother) as my 2 best men!"  And, in the end, *Bill* is a regular groomsman and *Tommy* is the ringbearer, and his two really close friends/cousins who are our same age are the best men.  (This was due to no prompting from me FYI.  I told him that was his decision).

I hope this may have helped you in some way.  Sorry I rambled for a little!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh, and I like the family dance idea too!  I just read that post.  I think I'll use that idea! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards