Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Considering a Pre-Honeymoon,,,,

So we have been trying to figure out when to schedule a HM due to FI's crazy work schedule.  He goes in today and finds out they are giving him a month off starting tomorrow until a week after the wedding. We have already bought tickets to fly to Dallas (FI's hometown) the week after the wedding so now I think we are gonna go on a cruise 2 weeks before the wedding.  I dont know how we are gonna fit this in but we are.  This might be our only chance at a HM, one, because the longer we put it off, I know we will dip into our HM fund.  Two, there no guarantee FI will be able to get the time off later in the year and three, now that we are expecting, I dont want to be too far along to enjoy our trip.  Maybe being on a trip right before the wedding will help me decompress before the big day (I hope)

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Considering a Pre-Honeymoon,,,,

• Options
    I think this is a neat idea (especially given your situation), and I think you can call it whatever you want. I like "Pre-honeymoon." :)

I agree with PP about a honeymoon fund that guests would be donating toward, but I'm guessing that isn't an issue (seeing as how you didn't post anything about it). If you did have a fund like this then you could always use it toward your Dallas trip!

I know that it will be hard not to stress so close to the wedding, but as long as you have plenty of time to get back and rest / finish up last minute projects or issues that may arise then you should be fine. I would suggest being back the entire 2 weeks before the wedding, or 1 at the very least.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Technically most of our honeymoon was before the wedding.  We were in Ireland Nov 27th-Dec 9th and our wedding was December 6th. In essence a honeymoon is just a vacation anyways (so you can calm down CMGr) so you can take it any time. There are people who don't take one until their first anniversary and still call it a honeymoon. Whenever you can afford to go, go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sophia1913Sophia1913 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to Re:Considering a PreHoneymoon,,,,:[QUOTE]In Response to Considering a PreHoneymoon,,,,:So we have been trying to figure out when to schedule a HM due to FI's crazy work schedule.nbsp; He goes in today and finds out they are giving him a month off starting tomorrow until a week after the wedding. We have already bought tickets to fly to Dallas FI's hometown the week after the wedding so now I think we are gonna go on a cruise 2 weeks before the wedding.nbsp; I dont know how we are gonna fit this in but we are.nbsp; This might be our only chance at a HM, one, because the longer we put it off, I know we will dip into our HM fund.nbsp; Two, there no guarantee FI will be able to get the time off later in the year and three, now that we are expecting, I dont want to be too far along to enjoy our trip.nbsp; Maybe being on a trip right before the wedding will help me decompress before the big day I hopePosted by Sophia1913You cannot call this trip a honeymoon unless it is after the wedding.nbsp; You can take a trip together any time you wish, but it is a trip, vacation, a romantic getaway NOT a honeymoon.Are you asking your wedding guests to contribute to your honeymoon fund?nbsp; If so, it would be unethical to use it before the wedding.nbsp; If you are using your own money from your own savings, you can spend it however you wish. Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE] WOW! I can totally see how things can get misinterpreted from typing. I can see how you might have read it but when I said HM fund I was actually referring to the money WE have set aside to pay for our HM, thus our HM fund. I should've been more clear. So with that being said that we are paying for the HM ourselves, I think I'm in the clear to call it what I want and go when its most convenient for us as other posters have indicated. Thanks for your insight.

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    In Response to Re:Considering a PreHoneymoon,,,,:[QUOTE]Technically most of our honeymoon was before the wedding.nbsp; We were in Ireland Nov 27thDec 9th and our wedding was December 6th. In essence a honeymoon is just a vacation anyways so you can calm down CMGr so you can take it any time. There are people who don't take one until their first anniversary and still call it a honeymoon. Whenever you can afford to go, go. Posted by ElleB87[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this!

• Options

Honeymoon = special word for vacation.

OP, do whatever works best for you and your FI.

• Options
    it would be a pre-wedding trip, not a pre-honeymoon. (pre meaning before whatever word is after it) so you wouldnt take a HM before the HM (pre-HM) you'd take a pre-wedding trip (before your wedding).
    if that's what works with your schedules then do it but dont call it a HM, it's not. a HM is after you're married.

• Options

also check on the cruise line's rules about PG cruising.

• Options
    I think it's fine! Do what works for you! FI and I are honeymooning after our wedding, but we did take a special, romantic trip to Aruba around the time we got engaged. I toook to calling it our "practice" honeymoon!
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Options

OP,

I think that sounds like a great idea. My DH and I took a pre-wedding trip to Mexico, had a destination wedding in the DR and then went on a meet the family/experience DH's culture trip to Trinidad. Our official honeymoon will be in May in Jamaica.   We're paying for it so we can call it whatever we want. If you and your FI want to consider your pre-wedding trip your honeymoon, then by all means do so.

For the record, I know several couples who've done this. Many were in a similar situation as you and your FI, but others just wanted to "be tan and relaxed" at their wedding.  Babies are expensive  and time-consuming. My sister and BIL have never been on a trip without their kids. So if it's important to you, by all means, go!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_considering-a-pre-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:9bfa4351-a81c-44a9-91e3-a0187369c662Post:038bfebd-d47f-43ed-bcee-61c500efb458">Re: Considering a Pre-Honeymoon,,,,</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>What is with the people criticizing what she calls it? Geez</strong>. I'm going on my honeymoon eight months after we get married. OP, take the trip, have a great time, and call it what you want. I think it's a fab idea. Don't let a couple of naysayers tell you what you can and cannot call your vacation. Because that's all a honeymoon is. A vacation. Have a great time!
    Posted by jelenybeany[/QUOTE]

THIS.  I feel like if I'm paying for it, I can call it what I want.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_considering-a-pre-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:9bfa4351-a81c-44a9-91e3-a0187369c662Post:6a03de74-0e8f-4a05-b60a-8b532a650e56">Re: Considering a Pre-Honeymoon,,,,</a>:
    [QUOTE]also check on the cruise line's rules about PG cruising.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up.  If we go, apparently I have to get a dr's note stating that I am less then 24 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards