Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Another question about cupcakes

I'm doing cupcakes (along with another dessert) and was planning one per person, but from feedback in here and IRL, I'm worried people might eat two or three cupcakes. The cupcakes will be on a tower and people will be able to help themselves, so I'm worried some people will take more than one, leaving some people without a cupcake. Would it be rude to have a server at the cupcake line there to make sure people only take one? Or is it rude to limit how many people can eat?

I'd get two or more per person, but one cupcake is already $4 per person. I've been exploring other cake options (like getting a regular cake, but my venue already has a steep cake cutting charge, which does not apply to cupcakes). I just can't afford to offer more and I haven't found a cheaper bakery yet :( Any advice?

Re: Another question about cupcakes

• It is rude to limit how many people can take.  I think that having fewer flavors would make it less likely that people would eat multiple cupcakes.  Also, will the cupcake tower be out all night?  If people are able to take from it over the course of the evening, they may be inclined to take more than one.

Also, $4 sounds insanely expensive for cupcakes.  Have you asked on your local board for bakery recommendations?  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_another-question-about-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:50082417-a65d-4b38-a2d5-33464c7725b0Post:894c8756-3910-41df-9793-607e8b5a6fcf">Re:Another question about cupcakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would plan 1.5 per guest. If you cant do that, get at least some extra. if you have 100 guests, get 120 or 130 cupcakes for example.

Most will only eat one, but some will eat two and a few might not eat any. I think running out of food, including dessert is one of the most irritating and awkward things that can happen at a wedding, so I would trim the budget in other areas to afford more cupcakes.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that there is a groom's cake too, so we won't run out of both.
  • For our wedding we provided one cupcake per person.  This is what our baker recommended because the cupcakes were larger then the typical make-at-home cupcakes and are much richer.  At the end of the night we had about 12 cupcakes leftover out of the 130 we ordered.

I think that since you are having another dessert besides just the cupcakes, then one cupcake per person should be plenty.  As long as there is enough dessert total for every guest to have a taste then you should be fine.

As far as the price of the cupcakes I would suggest you look around a bit more unless you are absolutely head over heels in love with the cupcakes they provide.  I live right outside of Baltimore in a higher priced area and the cupcakes I bought were $2.50/cupcake.

• If you have other dessert options available, I think one PP is fine. 

You could also have the servers bring a tray of cupcakes to each table, rather than have people serve themselves at the tree. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_another-question-about-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:50082417-a65d-4b38-a2d5-33464c7725b0Post:d9d8c22a-0dcc-476f-97ad-694c6d47cc56">Re: Another question about cupcakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]For our wedding we provided one cupcake per person.  This is what our baker recommended because the cupcakes were larger then the typical make-at-home cupcakes and are much richer.  At the end of the night we had about 12 cupcakes leftover out of the 130 we ordered. I think that since you are having another dessert besides just the cupcakes, then one cupcake per person should be plenty.  As long as there is enough dessert total for every guest to have a taste then you should be fine. As far as the price of the cupcakes I would suggest you look around a bit more unless you are absolutely head over heels in love with the cupcakes they provide.  I live right outside of Baltimore in a higher priced area and the cupcakes I bought were $2.50/cupcake.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

My baker said the same thing. As for cheaper cupcakes, I've only found small cupcakes at cheaper rates.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_another-question-about-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:50082417-a65d-4b38-a2d5-33464c7725b0Post:5c313da1-4603-4341-b98d-9ad115e08b1f">Re:Another question about cupcakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Another question about cupcakes : If you have cake you must have at least a slice of cake and cupcake for every guest.
    Posted by snippet17[/QUOTE]

That's our plan. There is enough for everyone to have both.
  • How about having an attendant serve the cupcakes (put them on a dessert plate and hand each person their flavor of choice)?  I wouldn't think that would cost much more than having someone stand there and regulate how many each person takes ... or there's PP suggestion of having trays brought from the display to each table.  It sounds as though you will have plenty of dessert options, though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_another-question-about-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:50082417-a65d-4b38-a2d5-33464c7725b0Post:a610db8b-abb2-48c4-9378-a90552668deb">Re: Another question about cupcakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about having an attendant serve the cupcakes (put them on a dessert plate and hand each person their flavor of choice)?  I wouldn't think that would cost much more than having someone stand there and regulate how many each person takes ... or there's PP suggestion of having trays brought from the display to each table.  It sounds as though you will have plenty of dessert options, though.
    Posted by reppunzel[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant by regulate. I meant we'd have a server hand them out.
  • edited November 2012
    We'll be doing cupcakes, mini cheesecake and cake pops, plus a small cake cutting cake for us. I'll be ordering extra cupcakes (we're having 50 guests, planning to order about 65 cupcakes). I'd rather have too much than not enough, even though we'll have the other options as well.

ETA: $4/cupcake is pretty average for the Seattle area from fancy, cupcake shops, so I really didn't think twice when I saw that price. Though, you may want to look around. Maybe contact a bakery that doesn't specialize in cupcakes like some of the common boutique cupcake shops.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto Maggie.  We had cupcakes.  They were larger than your normal cupcake and we had a lot left over at the end of the night.  One per person is absolutely fine.  
  • $4 a cupcake seems steep. If you live in Dallas, even Sprinkles has them for $39 a dozen wich makes them $3.25 ea. I would keep looking. If nothing else is an option, I would just have servers hand them out. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you considered mini cupcakes? They'll get several bites, can mix flavors, and they seem to run cheaper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards