Military Brides

Employment Readiness Program

Has anyone heard of "Employment Readiness Program" for spouses? On of my friends is in the Army and was telling me that it assists dependents with locating jobs as they are changing bases. My FI is in the thick of AF training right now so he doesn't have the time to check into it at the moment (we're long distance) so I thought I would see if you ladies knew about it. I wasn't sure if it just found you temp jobs like at the BX or if it was more like mini careers? Thanks!

Re: Employment Readiness Program

• SpunkchinSpunkchin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With the AF you want to contact your base's Family Readiness Center. They have local job search resources and can help you with resume writing and other job search stuff. The base's services website should have links for you to apply for base positons (like at outdoor rec or the gym) through the NAF.
  • edited December 2011
    Also remember that if you are applying for a job with the federal government and its agencies, as a spouse of a military member you also qualify for spouse preference. Keep in mind that there are a LOT of restrictions and it does not guarantee employment, but it could be a little bit of help too.

Check out USAJobs.gov for listings of all federal employment opportunities. You can search for jobs in the area around and on the base at which your husband will be stationed.
  • CARLY78CARLY78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Penguin is right, as soon as we got married I applied to the naval hospital b/c I'm a nurse and a medical coder. They do give preference, and actually being married was the only way I would've been able to apply for those positions. And the girls above have good advice on where to look for the answers you are asking :)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • edited December 2011
    I know if you go onto the base site where you'll be at there is usually a link for jobs. I found this while looking for housing with my fiancé at one of the Sub bases. 
    imageGraphics
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the spouse preference and anything that could help me get a job. Right now he is at a pilot training base and won't likely be there beyond October when he gets his perm assignment which is when I'm going to join him, so its hard to research when I don't know where to look lol.
  • CARLY78CARLY78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That does sound right rach. I will have to show proof that Josh's PDS is here in Cali and a copy of our marriage license.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
    edited December 2011
    I too joined H after UPT and was not eligible for spouse preference until we PCS'd to his next base and I was actually ON the PCS orders. Another thing is that you can only use spouse preference once per PCS, meaning once you get a job with it you can't quit that job and try to get another with the spouse preference. Does that make sense?

Do you know what airframe he is going to yet? That will narrow down your options as far as future bases.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm we had been talking about getting married before he changes bases just so that I will be on the orders and hopefully eligable for such programs. He doesn't know what airframe he'll have yet and won't until October when he graduates... so much waiting! :--(
    edited December 2011
    Is your skill-set very specific? You may not really need spouse preference to get a job if you don't much care what job it is. If you aren't opposed to working off base the SP wont help you anyway. I certainly wouldn't rush a marriage just to get your name on his orders.

You said AF right? He should know the plane he gets before he graduates.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm about to graduate as an aerospace engineer, so pretty much anything engineering related would be ideal. I really want to do something in my field, but understand that it may not be possible. I'll just need some kind of job because his salary won't support us plus my student loans. I just like to gather as much information as possible to see what my options are so I don't miss anything
  • edited December 2011
    I have an engineering degree and got a job on the base in the civil engineering department. They said that the job is from a government fund to help staff the departments while the officers are deployed and they don't advertise the jobs at all. Pretty much, they rely on word-of-mouth or people literally walking into the office and asking if they're hiring. If you have a degree of some sort, try thinking of things that they do on base that you could use it with. They told me that I'd be able to transfer to different bases very easily too, so that's a plus! Oh and there's also a certain amount of tuition assistance that spouses can use to take classes and get degrees, so long as they're degrees that are "portable." (I think someone posted on stuff like that a couple months ago). Anyway, all that they required was that I had any sort of engineering degree and it was pretty much all paperwork from there, I don't think it would have mattered if I was his wife or not (we're legally married but still planning a big catholic wedding for 3/5 next year) and if your base has a civil engineering department I highly suggest contacting them and seeing if they have anything available! Good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards