Wedding Reception Forum

How soon after he popped the question did you pick a venue and date?

We got engaged a week ago and one of my frequent customers at my bakery gave me a tip on a great venue that is available around our anniversary. When did you book your venue?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!

Re: How soon after he popped the question did you pick a venue and date?

• We chose our date first as it was the only day we could get married without having to wait another 8 months.  Then we worked on finding a venue that could hold our guest list and was available on our date.  We got engaged at the end of of October and I know we had our venue booked before January.  We got married the following December.
  • We chose our date before he proposed formally.

We chose our venue four months after he formally proposed, precisely a year before the wedding. I don't know that we took too long, or too little time, to choose a venue. We did try too hard. It was all we did most weekends for those 4 months. The venue we chose we'd talked about, because we're interested in architecture, when we first started dating, actually.

Our only fight, ever, was about the venue. We learned lots of lessons in that hard process. No other vendor selection has been as frought.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    We got engaged on December 23, 2008 and booked our venue in February for our November 2009 wedding.  We had some late fall dates in mind, but the venue only had one Saturday in November so that's what we picked.  Fall weddings are very popular here and venues book quickly.
  • We chose both within just a few weeks.
  • About a week or so?  We knew we wanted to get married in Sept because every year I was off work in Sept. 

My parents (who paid for most of the wedding) wasted no time in finding a venue while DH and I were on vacation.     They called as said, they have this and that date.  We were like "okay, we will take the first date".    We had seen the venue online, but not actually seen it in person.  It was another few months before we did see it in person.  

** My parents are the ultimate hosts and all DH and I wanted was a wedding on an actual beach.  We trusted their judgment and they of course they did great. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Our engagement was only nine months. We got engaged the end of Oct. and had booked both venues by the end of Nov. If we had waited longer, they probably would have been taken.

Depending when your date is, you don't have to book right away. I would probably do a year out if it's some place that is popular for weddings, maybe even a little more.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • We got engaged in May 2011 and officially booked our venue in October 2011. So 5 months. We had a general idea of a date pretty early and we toured the venue in July (actually if anyone remembers when Amy Winehouse died, that's the exact day, I remember I found out about that while I was there). It took us a while to book but our wedding is 22 months after we got engaged so we had time haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • We booked our photographers the day after getting engaged, and the only date they had available in June was the one we went with. We booked our venues the following day. 

It depends on how long of an engagement you want, though. It can be booked right away, or you can give yourself some time to figure out what you want. We just knew what we wanted and aimed to get those vendors and venues locked in as soon as possible.
  • He knew I wanted St. Patty's day before we ever got engaged.  We picked a venue 2 months after our engagement.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well I got engaged almost two years ago, then got pregnant shortly after we started to shop around. So now we are planning our wedding for Sept 2013. We booked our venue last month. And picked our month the first time we started to plan. We weren't picky on the day. Now we're shopping around for a dj and photographer and hoping to have those booked come summer.
  • Feb. engagement
    June wedding

We took care of the venue within the week since that's what would determine our date.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    We booked our venue about 4 or 5 months after he popped the question, after we'd set the date.  We set the date about 2 or so months after we became engaged.
  • We got engaged in March 2008, set a date  July 2009, married January 2010.

We waited until we were 100% sure we could pay for everything ourselves before setting the date. And at that point, we were tired of waiting to get married, so we told the venue to give us the first Friday night available in 2010.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• DD was engaged mid-October; we had the venue and most of the vendors booked for her Sept 2012 wedding within about 10 days, maybe two weeks. The hardest one, believe it or not, was the church. Many of the fall Saturdays had already been booked.
  • Well, I kinda sorta had the venue picked out before he proposed... :-P We live in Philly, but I'm from MN so I knew I wanted to get married there, and I'd looked at our venue online a few years prior, so when I went home for the holidays in December of 2010, I decided to tour it with my parents, you know, just in case he happened to propose the following year, so that way I had seen it in person before booking.

Fast forward to June 8th, 2011, when H proposed. We were in London, but I called the venue the following day just to see what they had available for May or June of 2012. The penciled us in for May 26, and after talking to my parents, we all decided that date worked so we booked it just a few days later.
  • JoJ0 - you aren't getting the hint, are you?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• We were engaged in July 2011 & knew we wanted it in Spring 2012, so we picked a few dates & within 2 weeks had booked a venue. If we were planning for a longer engagement, I probably wouldn't have moved so fast.
  • I knew I didn't want a multiple-year long engagement and FI knew that before we were even engaged- and he agreed. What was the point of getting engaged unless you were going to actively plan a wedding? (NOT knocking anyone's long engagements, it's more that I don't understand people who get engaged because they've been together a certain amount of time and it's "the next step" and "expected" but don't have any plan to get married. Planning includes making time to save up.) 

So we started thinking about places to get married soon after he proposed. We're on a tight budget which limited our options so when we found a place that seemed perfect, we made an appointment to see it after weeks of research and communication with the venue. It was the only place we saw and we booked the week after we saw it. We got engaged in August, booked the venue in October- so about three months into our year-long engagement. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We actually stumbled upon our venue about a month before he proposed. We were taking a tour of a historic site and found out they do weddings. When he proposed we both agreed on it right away. The date was a little harder because of family health issues. But we decided on a date as soon as the venue started booking for 2013 (they have some crazy rules on whenyou can sign the contract), which was about 2 months after he proposed.
  • We had our venue and date less than 2 weeks after getting engaged. 
  • He proposed at the end of February, and I believe we signd our contract with the venue the first week of March. We're getting married in October so we had to move fast!

Don't worry, I don't think there's any rule saying you need to wait so long. If you find the perfect place around a date that makes sense for you, go for it! Sounds like it coule just be what you're looking for!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 3 days. We knew exactly where we wanted, it was just a matter of formalizing it.
  • it was a few months but why does it matter?

choose and book when is good for YOU!

• jls522jls522 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    We had a date and venue booked within a month.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I booked my venue a year out they go fast dates are taken really fast, if you have a place in mind go ahead and have several places set aside to view you and your fiance'. then view them and compare and go from there. once you both have made a desicion then book as fast as you can ,,,but make sure that is the place you really want. if you are not sure then make sure you read up on callcelations ploicy so you don't lose any money.......
    Mr. & Mrs. Griffin
  • We booked our church in January and reception venue in March after getting engaged in December. We will be getting married next June but our reception venue is one of the more affordable options in our area and we knew that we really wanted it there. I'm also a little OCD when it comes to planning and I wanted to get the big stuff out of the way. Plus, our date means a lot to my fiance and I so we didn't want to compromise on that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lgoin1lgoin1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Engaged late-October 2011.  Picked a date (although changed it) THAT DAY.  Researched venues for MONTHS, and ended up reserving it a year to the day of the wedding (the place we wanted does not only weddings, but other events for the City and our arts district so there is a high demand).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards