California-Bay Area

1st trip to San Francisco--what to do??

Hi-

My husband is going to san francisco in a couple weeks for work & I am tagging along. Since I will be by myself most of the time, what are some good things to do alone? We will only be there for the weekend, so I don't have a ton of time to do a lot. I would love to go a winery, but who wants to do that alone!

I know about the wharf & alcatraz, etc, but I am looking for other things. I live in Chicago, so I don't need dept store/regular store shopping. I would like to know of some fun boutique areas (although not crazy expensive). We are staying at the Westin St. Francis. I read that the cable cars are right in front of the hotel, but I don't know where they go!

Just looking for ideas. We only get 1 dinner together too, so what is the best/romantic/memorable restaurant?

Thank you!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 1st trip to San Francisco--what to do??

• Will you have access to a car or are you limited to walking?

I definitely recommend the cable car -- it'll take you to a bunch of scenic areas where you can explore if you choose. The wharf can be interesting, but it's mostly small boutique type shops with tourist-y trinkets -- though you can find your way to Ghiradelli square and try some yummy chocolate while you're down there!

I personally think Alcatraz is a lot of fun. 

If you want to go to wineries, you'll need either a car or a limo to take you to Napa (which is about an hour or so away from SF). I'm fairly certain there are not wineries in the city itself.

For a nice dinner, I recommend Masa's or Quince.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Hmm, there are a lot of tasty restaurants around Union Square. I remember a good Italian place, but I don't recall the name, unfortunately.  Japantown is fun, too!  The Japan Center is great for boutique shopping.  Osakaya restaurant has AMAZING Japanese Curry.  I live across the bay, in Hayward, but I visit SF frequently.  I usually stay close to Union Square, Embarcadero, and Japantown.  HOLD YOUR BELONGINGS TIGHTLY! My ex boyfriend had a phone stolen right from his pocket and neither of us noticed. Have fun!! :) 
  • I suggest shopping on Union Street in the Marina, there are lots of cute boutiques! I love North Beach for food. Palomino is a great restaurant on the Embarcadero for a nice dinner. And you're staying in a great area; Union Square has tons going on and the Westin St. Francis is a beautiful hotel!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh another suggestion - Go to the bar at the top of the Sir Frances Drake Hotel for a drink with your husband - it has a really great view of the city and it's close by your hotel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Take a nice tour around the city by yourself, sometimes things are more enjoyable that way. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards