Getting in Shape

Tips for weight loss with hypothyroidism?

Hi ladies!  This definitely isn't a pity me post, or using my hypothyroidism & PCOS as a crutch! My wedding is in September and I want to loose about 30 more lbs, but I've really noticed how hard it is for me to lose weight. 40 days ago I started using my fitness pal ( LOVE IT! ), tracking all my calories ( 1200 ), and working out at least 3 times a week, 30-45 minutes on elliptical. In the 40 days, of hardly going over my calories, I've lost 6 lbs. I know sometimes people lose more when they up their calories but besides my fitness pal recommending 1200, so has my endocrinologist. Any ways, I was wondering if any of you ladies who may have it, or just know about hypothyroidism & PCOS have any tips, or ideas that may help move things along a little quicker! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Tips for weight loss with hypothyroidism?

• Talk to your dr, and possibly a registered dietician. My mom is hypothyroid and she's going to try to lose about 30-40 pounds before my wedding. She's going to do a lot of walking to get there, well thats her plan.

Are you exercising?
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Yes, at least 3 times a week, 30-45 minutes on the elliptical.
  • Are you being treated for your hypothyroidism and/or PCOS? Proper treatments for both will definitely help you lose the weight so talk to your doctor. Also, I would work towards increasing your exercise, 1200 calories is really too low
  • A friend of mine has hypothyroidism and has lost 50lbs over the last two years, 15 of those pounds in the last two months.  I can only speak to her experience, but here's how she did it: (a) She sees an endocrinologist regularly to make sure she's on the right medications in the right amounts to treat her hypothyroidism; (b) She has been religious about staying under 1400 calories a day (the right amount for her, according to the registered dietitian she had a few sessions with); (c) She works out daily.  My friend has been using the various Beach Body programs (10 Minute Trainer, Insanity, P90X, etc.), but I imagine any exercise is good.  She also swears that weight training has improved her metabolism (her thyroid function has improved since she added lifting to the mix).

Hope this helps!
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Hi Riley's Mom, Congratulations on your engagement! What an exciting time for you! I wanted to reach out to you when I came across your post regarding your struggles with hypothyroidism/PCOS and the difficulties these conditions cause when trying to lose weight. I recently was introduced to a product that has assisted many people achieve their weight loss goals despite a variety of health issues including hypothyroidism, diabetes, fibromyalgia, lupus, ADHD, etc. It is called V3 and is an all-natural wellness supplement that assists with energy, mood and appetite control - the three things that typically sabatoge any attempts at healthy living or weight loss. You can visit my webpage (listed below) for a complete ingredient list. The best place to visit is the FaceBook page, V3 Success Stories for testimonies and tips for loosing weight on the product. A friend of mine recently posted this testimony to her Facebook page. I thought of you when I read it..."I'm loving my V3!!! In ten months I've gone from almost busting out of size 24 down to a 16. CAN U BELEIVE IT!!!!!!! I haven't dieted, nor excercised, but now I feel so good, I've been walking three times in the past month. I have hypothyroidism, but with V3, I have SOOO much energy, and a decreased appetite. I'm not addicted to food anymore. WHAT AN AMAZING BLESSING GOD HAS GIVEN TO ME!!!!!!! I'm telling you, if you need more energy, if you need to lose fifty or just five pounds, V3 works. Please try it, it will bless your life!!!!!!" Feel free to visit my webpage or give me a call if you are interested in hearing more. I wish you success with your wedding planning! Congratulations again! Amy Green Www.wellness4life.voyagerhealth.com (704) 619-1772
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_tips-for-weight-loss-with-hypothyroidism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:b4b7b6a7-389e-40db-a61f-78e9116471d3Post:cbef0239-9a82-4473-b678-3dcb7336ce7a">Re: Tips for weight loss with hypothyroidism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]She also swears that weight training has improved her metabolism (her thyroid function has improved since she added lifting to the mix).
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

<div>This. </div><div>Your body is resistant to burning calories and having hypothyroidism just adds to the problem. Unfortunately things like cardio (your eliptical workouts) really only put you in a higher calorie burn while you're doing them. But if you build muscle even your resting rate will start burning a higher amount of calories and this will help your thyroid out.</div><div>
    </div><div>So instead of doing 40 minutes of cardio, do twenty minutes on the eliptical and twenty minutes of lifting weights. Or look into crosstraining, there are lots of programs that you can do in your own living room.</div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't understand the problem.  You're losing weight, at a healthy rate.  This is a good thing. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • edited May 2012
    I also have hypothyroidism, and it is very hard to lose the weight. I found that doing a small workout in the morning, and then some cardio and weights in the evening is really kick starting my weight loss. I do this every day though.

Like PP suggested, maybe 20min of eliptical and 20 of weights. In the mornings I do a certain number of jumping jacks, jump rope, and some ab exercises at home before I get in the shower. Also keeping up with your doctor on your thyroid and making sure that you are keeping your levels in check is very important.
  • I have hypothyroidism, and celiacs.  What has really helped me lose weight has been cutting out all gluten and processed foods.  I eat a more whole foods based diets, and only lean meats, and I increased my water intake alot.  I work out almost everyday too.  I do cardio and the weight circut.  I have lost 50 pounds and kept it off as well.  I do sometimes use oxyelite to help give me energy to have a really good work out, because energy can be an issue.  But cutting out gluten has really helped my thryoid levels level out.  I struggled for a while going from one end to the other, but after my celiac diagnosis things feel into place. 
  • I have hypothyroidism as well and the best thing for me is to switch up my workouts constantly. Your body has probably gotten used to doing your elliptical workout and won't respond as well now. Try mixing up your workout and do 15 minute increments with the elliptical, the exercise bike, maybe walking briskly on the treadmill. I know that in order for me to lose any weight at all, I have to basically keep my body guessing. Also, I add in strength training and switch off between my arms and my legs. I do some kind of core work (you can look up awesome exercises that use your own body weight, like planks) and stretch religiously. The problem we have is our metabolisms are basically non-existant so doing a mix of all these things will keep your weight from plateauing and hopefully will get you closer to your goal. I also drink a ton of water! You have to keep flushing all that bad stuff out of your body. Good luck girl. I know it's a hard road, but don't get discouraged.Smile
  • I too have hypothyroidism and understand your frustration. I feel that what works best for me is a combination cardio/weight routine. No matter how much weight you use, your not going to get all buff and stuff, so dont worry about that. The beachbody videos are nice as well. Ive personally done both P90x and Insanity. Insanity is great because its a high intensity interval workout P90x of course has the wieghts which is what will help you the most. The difference between just cardio and weights is that with cardio you dont have much of an after burn, with weight training you continue to burn calories well afterwords.

My routine consist of 30 min on the elliptical/stair master/ running in the morning and a 30 min weight workout in the evening. I got my routing from bodybuilding.com They have plenty of sample routines. I just incorporate a little more cardio then they do.

As for diet, obviously being hypo means you have to monitor what you eat. I love to eat so I started substituting several years ago. Turkey burger instead of beef. Whole wheat everything (Bread, Pasta, Flour), sweetner instead of sugar, I limit fried foods to one night a week and if I dont eat them that night, I have to wait till the next night.

Now with all that being said, I still have my slumps (even tho my medicine dosage is right) where I have no energy to do anything at all. Thats where my fiance comes in. I wrote up a list of appropriate things he can say to motivate me to go to the gym and when I dont feel like going, he starts naming off things and then I get up and go =]
    ::We shall faithfully serve one another in Love, just as we have faithfully served our Country::
  • You guys are great!!! Hearing all your stories is what I needed. I have heard that weights are great with hypo so I will start that! I am currently on the correct dose, had my labs done about 2 months ago, and I get them done every 6 months. I had an upper GI, and thankfully I don't have celiac disease! Thank you guys for all your input! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards