Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Help! How many save the dates to send?

My fiance and I are from different home towns, so we are having our wedding sort of in the middle, which means almost everyone will have to travel to it.

We would like 200 people to attend, how many save the dates should we send out? 200? Or more since some people won't be able to make it?

Re: Help! How many save the dates to send?

• Options
    We sent them to everyone and our wedding is local. They aren't required. We just wanted to let everyone know when it was as a courtesy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Keep in mind that like with the invitations, if you are inviting 200, you don't need 200 STDs. Some of those will go to couples, yes?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Ditto Addie.

Also, anyone who gets an STD *has* to get an invitation as well. Don't over-invite and plan on 100% attendance. There have been many brides around here who have over-invited and had more people than they were prepared to host come to their weddings.

Since you never know how many people will say yes, only plan on inviting as many as you can afford so that you're not scrambling at the last minute to find a new venue/caterer/whatever to accommodate your guests.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    You can send as many save the dates as you want, but like PPs said, send them only to people you will definitely be inviting. You can send them to all of your guests, or only to guests traveling from out of town. You can send them to family but not friends, or friends but not family. Or just people you're 100% sure of. 

When we sent out our save the dates, we went with the last option - only people we were 100% sure we were inviting. There are another 40 people or so that we're not entirely sure of, or they're extremely old and would be confused by a save the date and think it's an invitation and scribble on it "NO" and mail it back to us.

So do not send them to people you're not 100% set on inviting. Or old people that might get confused.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_help-how-many-save-the-dates-to-send?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:642667fa-3a6d-4681-b5d0-6d56bd45c1ffPost:74b60575-43c3-412e-9c0c-bba0240930c0">Re: Help! How many save the dates to send?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can send as many save the dates as you want, but like PPs said, send them only to people you will definitely be inviting. You can send them to all of your guests, or only to guests traveling from out of town. You can send them to family but not friends, or friends but not family. Or just people you're 100% sure of.  When we sent out our save the dates, we went with the last option - only people we were 100% sure we were inviting. There are another 40 people or so that we're not entirely sure of, or they're extremely old and would be confused by a save the date and<strong> think it's an invitation and scribble on it "NO" and mail it back to us.</strong> So do not send them to people you're not 100% set on inviting. Or old people that might get confused.
    Posted by zoberg[/QUOTE]

I just got the best mental image of my poor grandma with alzheimer's doing this and muttering to herself.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_help-how-many-save-the-dates-to-send?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:642667fa-3a6d-4681-b5d0-6d56bd45c1ffPost:18a66bfd-9ee3-41c2-a3da-bac7e4c533fd">Re: Help! How many save the dates to send?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto Addie. Also, anyone who gets an STD *has* to get an invitation as well. Don't over-invite and plan on 100% attendance. There have been many brides around here who have over-invited and had more people than they were prepared to host come to their weddings. Since you never know how many people will say yes, only plan on inviting as many as you can afford so that you're not scrambling at the last minute to find a new venue/caterer/whatever to accommodate your guests.
    Posted by kristbot[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%. I had people rsvp yes that I had figured would be no due to travel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards