Second Weddings

Thanksgiving - lots of questions

So... what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?  Are you cooking?  Any great dishes planned?  Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat? 

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays?  Or stick with the tried and true? 

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration?  Or any other family traditions?

How is the division between ex-families working for you?  For your Fi/spouse?  Any conflicts? 

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big?    ~Donna

Re: Thanksgiving - lots of questions

• So... what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?  Staying home.  Are you cooking? Yes, I always do.  Any great dishes planned?  Roasted Brussel Sprouts  Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat? Potentially the aforementioned sprouts. 

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays?Sometimes.  More for Christmas than Thanskgiving, though.  Or stick with the tried and true?  For the bulk of the meal, I have the same recipes & food.

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration? Nope Or any other family traditions?Arlo Guthrie, long version of Alice's Restaurant, on vinyl

How is the division between ex-families working for you? xH is not seeing the kids For your Fi/spouse? No kids, no xW drama  Any conflicts?Won't be surprised if xH springs something at the last minute to try to make the kids feel guilty.   

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big? Someone I love was not expected to make it to last Christmas, and is still with us this Thanksgiving. It is a blessing.    ~Donna
  • So... what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?  Kind of staying home. We are staying at a hotel on the other side of town.

Are you cooking?  Nope. Have reservastions at Ruth's Chris.

Any great dishes planned?  I plan on having a nice, juicy, buttery filet Smile

Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat?  I haven't had Thanksgiving with family in years, so not sure?

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays?  Or stick with the tried and true?  I don't cook, so no experimenting here. If I cooked, we'd no longer have a home because it would have burned to the ground.

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration?  Sort of. We are college football fans, so we look forward to the Friday games.

Or any other family traditions? We have fondue every year on or around Thanksgiving. This year, we have reservations at the Melting Pot on Wednesday.

How is the division between ex-families working for you?  I don't have any kids, so no big deal!

For your Fi/spouse?  Any conflicts?  DH never had his kids on Thanksgiving since his divorce. Her family really goes all out for Thanksgiving, so she gave him Christmas.  

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big?  The fact that hurricane Sandy damaged my family home, but not nearly as bad as the neighbors. The island and the area I grew up in was devasted. I have really been struggling emotionally over it.  On a positive note, the misused child support ends on 31 Dec! We can finally provide support directly to the kids.

• So... what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?  Are you cooking?  Any great dishes planned?  Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat?  We go to my mom&dad's house (fi's family is too far to drive) but fi has to work at 2:30 so he'll have to leave early and my oldest is leaving early to go to his gf's parents for supper

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays?  Or stick with the tried and true?  Everything is always exactly the same. My mom DOES NOT do change!!!

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration?  Or any other family traditions? My dad and son like football, and fi is nutso about it so yes, definitely football. We always play board games in the afternoon, and if it's nice my kids play basketball in the driveway with my dad

How is the division between ex-families working for you?  For your Fi/spouse?  Any conflicts?  My kids refuse to have anything to do with their dad's girlfriend, so it works out easy for me. They don't see him much anyway, even though he only lives 30minutes away. My kids aren't close to any of exH's side of the family either, they always do all holidays with me. Fi doesn't have any kids, so no problems there either.

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big? I am so thankful that my kids are doing so well lately. We had a lot of drama when their dad left, and the adjustment to him not coming around, but they have really come to terms with the situation. I know the therapy helped my girls a lot, and I give fi a lot of credit for being such a great father figure for them, and loving them even when they act out. It's really been coming together lately and it's so good!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • So... what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?  We're staying at home, happily.  My son is home from college; step-son and his girlfriend are here from VT.  Tomorrow is a big dinner with my cousin, his wife and daughter (plus our 5).  Thursday will be a smaller, traditional feast.

Are you cooking?  NO!  Step-son is cooking tomorrow; he's a professional chef.  On Thursday, H is cooking. 

Any great dishes planned?  Wed: awesome pork loin with thyme and bartlett pears.  Thu: nothing extraordinary ... but everything made from scratch.

Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat?  D*mned green bean casserole, which H's best friend is bringing.  I HATE that sh*t!  I refuse to eat it.  Please, tell me, who came up with such nonsense?

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays? 
    Wed dinner, which has become a tradition with my cousin and his family, will be an experiment this year.  I usually cook that entire meal, so it will be interesting to let step-son take the reins.

Or stick with the tried and true?
      Thu: All tried and true.  I fix a made-from-scratch cranberry sauce, which H always approaches as if it's a science experiment. He cannot grasp the concept that cranberry sauce out of a can just doesn't satisfy everyone.  He's funny.  That's why I married him.

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration? 
    When the Redskins play the Cowboys, it's on ... it's on like popcorn!  If  the 'Skins weren't playing, I'd cook. 

Or any other family traditions?  Homemade sweet potato pie was a tradition until my dad passed away mid-way through 2011.  Now, we buy it from Harris Teeter (not bad, but not my dad's).

How is the division between ex-families working for you? 
    My son has always gone to PA/DE for Thanksgiving with his dad/grandma/aunts/uncles/cousins.  I'm used to it, but that's why Wed's dinner is always such a big deal.

For your Fi/spouse?  H has no conflicts.  Since we've been together, we've hosted a small group of family and friends at his (or my) house, except last year -- we went out for Thanksgiving dinner.

Any conflicts? 
    Thankfully, no!  Except H's stuffing recipe.  Next year, I'm making the stuffing!

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big?   Yes, you!  I would not have made it through my father's illness and death plus my mother's transition into assisted living without YOU, Miss Donna.  You are amazingly wonderful.  Yup.  I am particularly thankful for YOU!  SWAK!
  • What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? Staying home.

Are you cooking? Yup.

Any great dishes planned? This year my mom got stuffed turkey from Costco. It is AMAZING!! =)

Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat? Green Bean Casserole. YUCK!! 

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays? Not really 

Or stick with the tried and true? Mostly tried and true. Last one I experimented with was loaded mashed potatoes. YUMYY!! 

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration? It is now. FI is a super big football guy. My kids and I aren't so much.

Or any other family traditions? I always rent a new release for us to watch after the Macy's parade (which I force my kids to watch). We have munchies for lunch. =)

How is the division between ex-families working for you? I get the kids for Thanksgiving and the WHOLE weekend this year.. Their dad will probably call and I'll end up with 5 attitudes (he brings out the worst in them)

For your Fi/spouse? FI has no X

Any conflicts? My X likes to bad mouth me and FI and my whole family to the kids. 

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Iam so thankful that I have a relationship where I can talk about my feelings and I'm heard and understood. I am also very thankful for my new niece!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?  Are you cooking?  Any great dishes planned? Not a darned thing.  We finished cleaning out our other house this week and are crossing all of our crossables that a sale is going down Friday morning.  Our current home looks like a warzone with all the extra boxes of "stuff" and I told DH I wanted to take the year off.  Regardless of where we go for Tday I always cook the turkey.  No way I was dealing with brining a bird and cooking when we have been so crazy busy for the last7 or 8 days.  I am roasting a chicken from DH's plant and animal science class.  Poor DH - Tday dinner is his fave meal ever and he agreed to forego it.  As long as we still have pie he will be good.

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration?   DS and I are going to watch Lord of the Rings and whatever you call the second movie in that series.  I"m trying to get caught up to go see The Hobbit with him next month.  We aren't big football fans.

Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat?  Nope, even if we were going all out it would still be "nope."  Whew!

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays?  Or stick with the tried and true?  Only maybe changing up the brine I use, but I don't usually do that.  This is truly DH's favorite meal of the year so I don't mess around with it.  We both like Tday dinner to be like our mom's or gma's made it.  My MIL could cook rocks and make them taste great.

How is the division between ex-families working for you? It is a non issue now as all 4 of our girls are between 26 and 32 and they were where we blended our family (we have a "surprise" son who is 17 now).  We always have an open invitation and whoever accepts comes to dinner.  If something really big is going on we will celebrate on an "off day" so everyone can attend, otherwise it's an open invite.

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big? Yep - DH got a retirement job (albeit he is looking for something new after the first of the year, it is a poorly run business), I am waiting to hear whether or not my resume was accepted for a job I really want.  My resume was the only one forwarded to the decision maker.  One of our DD's has moved back to MI from CA. I am exceedingly grateful for many other things this year.
  • Happy Thanksgiving US knotties! My holiday was last month, so I will be working while you're off doing holiday-related things!

Enjoy your time, however you choose to spend it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Donna, thank you for starting this post. I love reading the responses, and it's made me think.

So... what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?  Are you cooking?  I am cooking Tgiving dinner today for my family which is just my parents. Have done this for the last several years, it's just easier for my 80+ y/o folks to come here and I love to cook. We are doing ours today because it's just my parents, and then tomorrow Kevin & I will go to his Mom's, and my daughter can go to her Dad's family's.

Any great dishes planned?  Usual Tgiving foods. Doing mashed potatoes and stuffing from scratch, also changed my brine to include fresh cut oranges, cloves, and thyme, rosemary and chives from our garden this year.

Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat?  My mom's made from scratch cranberries. I've never liked them, Kevin will have a small portion, then my Mom takes them back home again, LOL.

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays? Not on Tgiving, but definitely for Xmas. LOVE to cook, and finding new things has always been fun.   

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration? I live in the Detroit area, so this is really a rhetorical question for us. Smile. In my teens I'd go downtown with friends to see the Tgiving Day parade then walk to the old Tiger Stadium to watch the Lions play. Now they play at Ford Field, and I haven't been to a game there on Tgiving since I had my kids. Our usual tradition is to try to eat after the game is over, when we can't throw food at the tv when they lose, which is sadly another tradition.  

Or any other family traditions? My family doesn't have any, but Kevin's family clears the table after dinner and plays board games or some other card games they all know. I'm still learning, LOL.  

How is the division between ex-families working for you?  For your Fi/spouse?  Any conflicts? It is much better now that my daughter can drive herself. Her Dad's family is about 12 miles away, and ferrying back & forth and changing meal times used to make it a busy day.  It's still busy but now Kevin & I are going to his family's, which is 30 miles away.

However, it is impossible to get everyone together most years. His daughter is married to a Marine, in Afghanistan right now, and she lives with her 3 kids at the base in NC. Won't see them. Kevin's son is at a half way house for people struggling with alcohol and drug abuse, almost 80 miles away, won't see him. My son who lives in DC is currently in Jamaica with his galpal for a nice vacation for them, won't see him.

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big?
        I think the one big thing is that years ago, during my childhood,  my parents pushed the right buttons making me see the value of a good education. I didn't get a 4 year degree, but always was open to the thought that there are things I can be learning apart from school. What I learned, whether through reading or on-the-job training allowed me to have my "unplanned but totally loved" kids, as a single mom, and support all of us.  As I watch people struggle in today's world, with unemployment and finances, it reiterates how important that was.

I have pushed the value of education & learning with my kids, and so far it has paid off.

OK, off to make our dinner! Happy Thanksgiving to all!
  • This was truly a blessing to read through. I agree, thank you, Donna!

Are you cooking?  Not really. My IL's invited themselves over, so I invited their daughter. I believe they are cooking here, but I am only providing pies (pumpkin, apple and maybe a custard. Suggestions in lieu of custard?) and the dinner rolls. I may do a cranberry punch. This is only the second time I've seen his parents, so I dont know about unfortunate dishes!

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays?  Or stick with the tried and true?  My family goes back and forth. Sometimes traditional, Sometimes pick-an-inspiration - new dishes are usually yum, but not too many at once

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration?  Or any other family traditions? Love football! I remember when suddenly I was grown up enough I was expected to stay in the kitchen and clean up after lunch vs. going outside to toss that pigskin and then come in to warm up watching the game(s). I try to take my son out to play catch now!

How is the division between ex-families working for you?  For your Fi/spouse?  Any conflicts?  My ex and I switch off, and my family plans T or Christmas around the holiday where I have my boys. H is trying to manage to have his daughter the same time, his ex has previously denied him every holiday, so my goal is to have my step-daughter both this year!

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big?  Actually, H and I were talking over the week-end about how grateful we are that our children are healthy. Right now, H isn't working, so I am truly grateful that with our growing and merging family that our needs are met - and I was just approved for a larger apartment to better accommodate us!
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2012
    So... what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?  We're staying at home my MIL will be here as will the DSD.

Are you cooking? Yes, started today (and am currently in a mood - been cooking since 8 am and the hubby is expecting me to cook his lunch!)

Any great dishes planned? I'm a gourmet from scratch cook so everything will be from scratch.  Made the brine for the turkey and have that going, baked cornbread for the stuffing, making the family traditional giblet gravy with hard dumplings.  

Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat?  Nope no one is bringing anything that is dreaded. 

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays? Brining the bird is a first for me, and I always come up with something "new" to the family. 

Or stick with the tried and true?
      The tried and true will be the stuffing and the giblet gravy.

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration?  
    We're not into televised sports. 

Or any other family traditions?  Pecan pie and this year I'm not making it a friend got us one as a gift (hopefully we'll like it). We'll also play games around the table once the meal's done and cleaned up. (Another reason I'm a tad grumply - the DH bought me a new computer that is in parts and pieces on my dinning room table as we speak)

How is the division between ex-families working for you? 
     No division, no kids with my x-H and the cats didn't like him, plus there is a No Contact Order (that he's been violating since it was ordered but I digress)

For your Fi/spouse?  DH's x-W passed away due to complications from alcoholism, the only issue there is dealing with Probate and it will be done early next year. 

Any conflicts? 
     Thankfully, no! 

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big?  

Unfortunately we are facing the possibility that a dear friend may not be with us much longer and have been volunteering to assist her in any way possible.  And other not so pleasant stuff...

The bonus to my not working is being there to assist her, and my DSD with the Probate. 

Edited to correct for spelling whoopses

• So... what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?  Are you cooking?  Any great dishes planned?  Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat?   Everyone is coming to my home in the mountains.  We'll have 10 adults, 5 dogs, 2 cats, one toddler,  and a partridge in a pear tree. Everybody is contributing, which is different for me; I usually do most of it, DH does the gravy.  This year besides roasting one turkey, we are smoking another.

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays?  Or stick with the tried and true?  My new special dish is pumpkin creme brulee.  It's amazing, simplek, and when we served it for our Halloween party, people were saying "oh, I need to bring and extra one home to, uh, ummm.  My aunt who is sick, yeah, that's it. My sick aunt. 

Is football a big part of your Turkey Day celebration?  Or any other family traditions?

How is the division between ex-families working for you?  For your Fi/spouse?  Any conflicts?   No conflicts, except maybe there will be some between my two sisters and I.  It's amazing that we grew up in the same house since we are each so different. 

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big? I am really, really, thankful that this year I have no one in my immediate family that's in the war. Considering my military family, that alone is amazing.  Next year we may not be so lucky.

Happy Thanksgiving to each of you; I am thankful to have this board to have a place to commiserate with you about the entitled brides, to be taught by you, and to share my thoughts with you.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • So... what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?  Are you cooking?  Any great dishes planned?  Any family dishes that will arrive at your Thanksgiving table that everyone knows is coming- but no one actually wants to eat?

We went to a potluck with 20 other people.  There was an incredible variety of stuff there--two turkeys, three different kinds of mashed potatoes (including one with crabmeat), a bunch of different roast vegetables, several types of stuffing, and a whole table full of desserts.  One of the more traditional offerings--green bean casserole with onion strings--was one of the least popular.

Do you experiment with recipes on big holidays?  Or stick with the tried and true?

NotFroofy saw that there were a lot of carbs, and wanted to make some healthy options.  So she tried a bunch of new recipes.

Football, no.  Cards Against Humanity, yes.  Did I mention that we run with a crowd that is high in geeks?

How is the division between ex-families working for you?  For your Fi/spouse?  Any conflicts?

It still saddens me that I'm not included in ex-husband's family celebrations.  My children are, so that means NotFroofy and I are always on our own.  However, we've managed to come up with our own traditions (see above).

Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big?

My state just became the first one in the nation to adopt same-sex marriage by popular vote.  Is that big enough?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_thanksgiving-lots-of-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:ed7708f6-f6d7-4457-959e-d1603ddb8e6fPost:f210eb13-9ef3-4496-903b-b6d83035b055">Re: Thanksgiving - lots of questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]S Anything that you are particularly thankful for? Not the usual family & friends, good health & a job-- anything big? <font color="#000080"><strong>My state just became the first one in the nation to adopt same-sex marriage by popular vote.  Is that big enough?</strong></font>
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

I was so unhappy that such a basic, human issue was forced to the ballot.  I was so happy the vote went in favor of same-gender marriage!  Martin fought a sometimes unpopular battle.  Job well done!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_thanksgiving-lots-of-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:ed7708f6-f6d7-4457-959e-d1603ddb8e6fPost:187b550d-e2a6-4635-91a5-741f6e508c62">Re: Thanksgiving - lots of questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only person who LIKES Green Bean Casserole? We didn't cook.  I felt horrible on Wednesday, and drove straight to the doctor from work.  Ears are still horribly infected.  I am sleeping most of the day.  Never had this happen with ears before, although the infection had spread to my sinus/nasal passages by the time I went in. I felt well enough to go that sale, but I woke up at 4 pm that day, too.  We went to a restaurant. I hate fruitcake.  Everyone in my family hates fruitcake.  Dad bought one every year anyway.  It sat, uncut, in the fridge until the fourth of July, when he'd finally throw it out.   A new one would arrive in November.  Something about it being Christmas, so there must be a fruitcake in the house.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Oh retread, we love green bean casserole! My mom never made it when I was growing up, but I started making it a few years ago. My 17 year old daughter goes nuts over it, I made a double batch so she can eat leftovers for a week!</div>
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_thanksgiving-lots-of-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:ed7708f6-f6d7-4457-959e-d1603ddb8e6fPost:187b550d-e2a6-4635-91a5-741f6e508c62">Re: Thanksgiving - lots of questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only person who LIKES Green Bean Casserole?
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

No, you're not the <em>only</em> one.  4 out of 6 at our Thanksgiving dinner table ate the green bean casserole.  H's best friend made it because his daughter LOVES it.  Mind you, she did not join us for dinner.  He's just so used to making it for every holiday, he made it for <u>our</u> dinner. Those casseroles just make me sad.  If you like 'em, all power to ya!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_thanksgiving-lots-of-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:ed7708f6-f6d7-4457-959e-d1603ddb8e6fPost:fb4f52d4-ead8-4bde-b5f3-5c21e54147a7">Re: Thanksgiving - lots of questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanksgiving - lots of questions : I was so unhappy that such a basic, human issue was forced to the ballot.  I was so happy the vote went in favor of same-gender marriage!  Martin fought a sometimes unpopular battle.  Job well done!
    Posted by Lisa50[/QUOTE]
    Believe me, I felt the same!  I don't know if you've seen <a href="http://youtu.be/G2nsGtd7y3c" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">this video</a>, but it was pretty much how I felt about the whole vote.  No one ever asked me to vote on anyone else's marriage--and believe me, I've seen some truly idiotic marriages in my time!  Yet somehow, the whole state got to vote on mine.

At the same time, the only thing worse than <em>having</em> such a vote would have been <em>losing</em> such a vote.  And that was particularly true in Maryland.  We don't have an initiative process, so the only way there could be a referendum on same-sex marriage was if the legislature first voted for same-sex marriage.  So if we'd lost this time, we would have had to wait for the legislature to act again.  And the legislative vote was such a squeaker this time, I hate to think how long it would have taken for the legislature to act again if its first vote had been overturned by referendum.

As a result, I was out canvassing every moment I could.  They were only holding formal canvassing events on weekends.  But I'd pick up extra names on weekends so I could continue canvassing during the week.  When the government offices closed for Hurricane Sandy, I decided that meant people would be at home during the day, so I was out canvassing even before the rain stopped.  When I finally had to stop canvassing (because I was a Chief Elections Judge, and had to start preparing to run the election in the precinct I was in charge of), I put out a call on my Facebook for someone to step in for me. 

I about went nuts on Election Day, when I was not allowed to look at television or read newspapers, or even talk to anyone about how the election was going, for the entire 16 hours I was on duty.  I biked home and then glued myself to the computer, obsessively refreshing the sites with the most up-to-date information on Question 6, until the Washington Post finally declared the result in our favor at 12:05 AM.
  • 2dBride, thanks for sharing such a personal story about the part you played in getting this passed. Also, for the link to that video. I hadn't seen it before.

My daughter started college in the fall and is taking a speech class where she has had to stand up and do various presentations. One of them was a "pursuasion" type presentation, and she did hers on same sex marriage. My son, who works for a political non-profit in DC sent her some information to assist her.

I tried to put this into historical perspective for her. How during my life time there have been changes for civil rights, an end to segregation, the Voting Rights Act (which is under attack now). I lived in Detroit during the 1967 riots and remember them.

As a baby boomer, it makes my heart proud to see that our kids will probably live to see an end to some of the final prejudices, whether state by state or federal.
  • No, 2d, I'd not seen that video.  Love it!  Thanks for that link.

H and I were ready to change official residency from DC to MD (I own property there) to get in on the action.  I have been so ticked off at this legislative issue moving from the state house to the ballot that I could have spit (that's my prim and proper mom's version of being REALLY pissed ... LOL!).  We were impressed and pleased that Julian Bond recorded the TV ad supporting the legislation. 

Congrats on the success of your personal grassroots/GOTV efforts.  You did a great job!
  • Hey Retread!  No my daughter, granddaughter,  and my husband LOVE it.  He adds water chestnuts to his, and a few other touches.  Me, uh, not so much.  :-P  
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I believe in marriage equality and so does the rest of my household... It's wrong that we have to vote about this issue. It's wrong that it is a political issue - we believe in equality in all things. 

About greenbean casserole - no one in our household likes it - it's a favorite with some of the extended family though.  This year our greenbeans were cooked with vegtable stock, onions and bacon - just the way we like them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards