Snarky Brides

Summer Meals?

So. It's finally no longer winter here in MN, and I think it's time to switch out to some new dinner recipes.  Any suggestions? I feel like most of my go-to recipes are heavier (more winter-like meals, if that makes sense), and I want to mix things up a little.

Help? Bonus points for recipes/links.

Re: Summer Meals?

• anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    i love the weber marinade packs.  They have a huge variety and are great for both grilling and cooking on the stovetop.  Our summer food staples are chicken or steak on the grill with fresh vegetable sides. I also try to incorporate more cold foods into out diet. i hate cooking over a hot stove on hot days. Much lighter than heavy winter casseroles too.

Here are a few on my love it list:
    Summer Vegetable Crepes
    Roasted corn with Basil Shallot Vinaigrette
    Grilled Pizza
    Pea and Potato Salad
  • huh. That grill skillet looks awesome!  I've never seen one like that; we might have to stop and get one!

I'm SO excited to be able to grill finally. It's one of the things I'm most excited for about the new house :)
  • I love pretty much anything from Sunset and Cooking Light. I subscribe to both, and they have amazing summer recipes.

Here are some great ones:
    http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/kitchen-assistant/

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/scb-entrees-00400000028109/
  • What about a light pizza? A while back I made one on whole wheat crust (pre made) and sprinkled on some olive oil, gorgonzola, basil (would have preferred arugula) and sliced pears. It was absolutely amazing and light and refreshing.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    ive mentioned it before but cauliflower salad - small florets of cauliflower, thinly sliced red ionion, cucumber and large diced tomatoe, pepper sprinkled on and ranch to coat. if you leave it out @ room temp for a bit it gets all nice and liquidy from the cucumber and tomatoe and its uh-ma-zing!! its even more to die for with bbq'd meat on the side
  • I love to do mixed veggies on the grill...rough chop bell peppers of all colours, zucchini, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Then marinate them in balsamic vinaigrette, salt and pepper, then grill them, putting the tomatoes on last. Yum!
  • edited May 2011
    I am obsessed with cold noodles in the summer. There are some yummy kinds you can find in the refrigerated section of the Asian stores that are pre-packaged kits, with noodles and sauce all ready to go, you just add whatever protein and veggies you want.

This is my go-to recipe for chilled sesame noodles, it's a little tangy, sweet and spicy. I add protein and veggies to make it an entree, or just veggies if it's a side dish:

Cold Sesame Noodles

Dressing:
    -1/4 cup rice vinegar
    -1 tsp. sugar
    -1 Tbsp. honey
    -1.5 Tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger (jarred ginger paste is perfect too)
    -2 tsp. chili sauce (Vietnamese chili-garlic paste or Sriracha, or chili flakes)
    -1 tsp. finely minced garlic
    -2 green onions (scallions), green and white part, thinly sliced
    -1 tsp. soy sauce or fish sauce
    -1 tsp. lime juice
    -1 tsp. Mirin (rice wine)
    -2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
    -1/4 cup canola oil

-Toasted sesame seeds

-12 oz soba or buckwheat noodles (can use whole grain spaghetti in a pinch)

-Protein and veggies of your choice - i.e., cooked shrimp, chicken, tofu, shredded carrot, julienned cucumber, strips of red pepper, snap peas, broccoli

Whisk the dressing ingredients together, adding the canola oil last. Boil the soba noodles as directed (they don't take as long as regular pasta), drain under cold water in a strainer until cooled.

Add protein and veggies to the noodles in a big bowl, sprinkle with sesame seeds and toss it all with the dressing. Refrigerate for an hour if you can before serving.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Tonight we're doing teriyaki marinated chicken breasts on the grill, and serving it on a bed of arugula with Craisins, bacon bits, fresh avocado, apple, and a fat-free honey mustard dressing. Mmmmmm.

I also love doing shish kabob skewers, marinated in Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing (I don't know what it is about the Robusto, it's just better than the regular Italian for marinating). I take chicken or beef, cherry tomato, onion, mushroom, and peppers, and throw them on the grill for a little bit, and...delicious. It's also really good if you take the same skewers and add some pineapple on there and do them in a teriyaki marinade.

I pretty much live on salads, during the summer, though, so I may be no help :-)
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
  • Stupid question- how do you grill your veggies? Skewers? a pan?
    Help! I've never owned a grill before, and my mom always did the veggies inside. I'm thinking grilled veggies sound way more delicious though. 
  • edited May 2011
    ohhhh Beats- I'll have to show that to H. He's the noodle/Asian chef in our house :) (He's way better with spices, too. haha.)

Conf- I want more salads, so share away! I think I just get in a rut of using the same veggies and same protein. I'd never think to pick up craisins for a salad (even though I love them.) So you've already inspired me! ;)

Thanks everyone!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_summer-meals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:aa143960-2491-412a-b58e-663e8f79a391Post:663aa22c-559c-4f60-b27f-8032c9a66e34">Re: Summer Meals?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stupid question- how do you grill your veggies? Skewers? a pan? Help! I've never owned a grill before, and my mom always did the veggies inside. I'm thinking grilled veggies sound way more delicious though. 
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

<div>You can leave them whole - like a pepper - and throw the whole damn thing on the grill at once until it's blackened (it's a great way to roast peppers), or you can cut them up and put them on skewers. Just be careful with stuff that reduces really quickly, like tomatoes. They can get messy on the grill.</div>
    Wuppikins loves you!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_summer-meals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:aa143960-2491-412a-b58e-663e8f79a391Post:a7ec3752-142f-42e6-ad28-7bfeed06ebd6">Re: Summer Meals?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ohhhh Beats- I'll have to show that to H. He's the noodle/Asian chef in our house :) (He's way better with spices, too. haha.) Conf- I want more salads, so share away! I think I just get in a rut of using the same veggies and same protein. I'd never think to pick up craisins for a salad (even though I love them.) So you've already inspired me! ;) Thanks everyone!

;) I thought your H would like it (and also have the ingredients for it). Have fun with your summer cooking!

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_summer-meals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:aa143960-2491-412a-b58e-663e8f79a391Post:663aa22c-559c-4f60-b27f-8032c9a66e34">Re: Summer Meals?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stupid question- how do you grill your veggies? Skewers? a pan? Help! I've never owned a grill before, and my mom always did the veggies inside. I'm thinking grilled veggies sound way more delicious though. 

I use skewers, a grill basket, foil packets, or just straight on if I'm doing corn or large veggies.

There are tons of ways and tons of gadgets and baskets.

i have this grill basket:
    <a href="http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=lems&xhr=t&q=grill+basket&cp=8&qe=Z3JpbGwgYmE&qesig=k3Gaaw7mZUudX9XGwqSdpQ&pkc=AFgZ2tl1-odTAgXuLlgTOmOJfdcy34MT3VE2ZfkMz6An_bkp1HA29aOhaXivIoqBnaeHZoCW9OtLTPOJ-MjDjKXpyG6aFh7YSQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=584&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4066023793563982685&sa=X&ei=jgfkTfn0McbVgQe9vOiSBg&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQ8gIwAg" rel='nofollow'>http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=lems&xhr=t&q=grill+basket&cp=8&qe=Z3JpbGwgYmE&qesig=k3Gaaw7mZUudX9XGwqSdpQ&pkc=AFgZ2tl1-odTAgXuLlgTOmOJfdcy34MT3VE2ZfkMz6An_bkp1HA29aOhaXivIoqBnaeHZoCW9OtLTPOJ-MjDjKXpyG6aFh7YSQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=584&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4066023793563982685&sa=X&ei=jgfkTfn0McbVgQe9vOiSBg&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQ8gIwAg</a>

I'll just toss in some cut up veggies and then throw it on until they get a touch of sear on them.

I like doing a foil packet to get potatoes and such really soft.  I throw in herbs and a bit of butter.
  • Thanks again ladies!  

Anna- we'll have to get one of those anyway for shrimp. I stole my dad's Shrimp on the Barbie recipe this weekend (he recreated the Outback recipe, but it's even better.)
  • Ok, Steph, here's one of my favorites. It's become a specialty of mine :-)

Rustic Italian Pasta Salad (this makes a HUGE amount. Just so you know.)
    2 - 1lb boxes of pasta (I usually use rotini or something else with a texture that holds a sauce/dressing really well)
    1 - small package (approx. pint?) of cherry or grape tomatoes. If you can find heirlooms, those are spectacular. Just make sure that the pieces/tomatoes are relatively small, about the size of a grape.
    1 - can large pitted black or kalamata olives, quartered
    1 - pint of mini fresh mozzarella balls, drained (the ones I'm talking about are about the size of a large pea. If you get bigger ones, they can be cut down)
    1 - half cup to a cup of diced sharp provolone cheese (cut into small pieces)
    1-2 - cups of diced pepperoni (the smaller the pieces, the better)
    1 - cup of diced Genoa salami (again, as small as you can get it)
    1 - can of quartered artichokes (make sure these are packed in water), cut into small pieces
    1 - tablespoon of nonpareil capers, drained
    1 to 1.5 bottles of Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing, Newman's Own Rustic Italian (I think that's what it's called) or other really rich and flavorful Italian style dressing.

Several pepperocini peppers, as a garnish.
    Chopped fresh oregano, basil, salt, and pepper, to taste.

Cook pasta until al dente. Turn off burner, but leave in pot on stove for about a minute before draining. Drain in colander, and run under cold water to cool pasta.
    Immediately toss with enough salad dressing to coat, so the pasta doesn't stick together. Combine with remaining ingredients, and add more dressing, to coat everything. Refrigerate. Garnish with pepperocini and serve.

Let me see if I can think of any more.
    Wuppikins loves you!

• Between reading this thread and watching Grill It with Bobby Flay I'm getting seriously dehydrated from all the drooling.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_summer-meals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:aa143960-2491-412a-b58e-663e8f79a391Post:2892d47b-9c24-4ac1-9f2b-350d4b55dfdf">Re: Summer Meals?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Between reading this thread and watching Grill It with Bobby Flay I'm getting seriously dehydrated from all the drooling.
    Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]

<div><3</div><div>
    </div><div>H was watching that this morning, so I hear you there :-)</div>
    Wuppikins loves you!

• I also loooove avacado toast but it's not quite a meal. Toast, sliced avacado on top, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mmmm!
  • Both of these are amazing (and easy/quick)!

Pork Chop with Sugar Snap Peas and Mint Julep Glaze:

Steak with Parmesan Butter, Balsamic Reduction, and Arugula:
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards