Illinois-Chicago

Addressing Envelopes

How do you address envelopes to guests who are engaged? FI's college roommate is engaged and getting married in may. We are sending out our STD's for our August 7 wedding in the beginning of Jan. Since FI's roommate will not be married in January, do I address the envelope as Mr. So and So. By the time we send out our invitations, they will be maried, so I would then addres the invitation as Mr.. and Mrs. So and So. Is this correct?
Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anniversary

Re: Addressing Envelopes

• edited December 2011
    Yes, you are absolutely correct.  In the case of the STD card, you can either place his name & Guest or his name and her name to his address. 

Mr. John Doe and Guest
    123 Any Street
    Any town, IL 60000

or

Mr. John Doe
    Miss Jane Smith
    123 Any Street
    Any town, IL  60000

I hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    You should address the STD to both of them with their unmarried names, and the woman's name coming first.
    Miss Jane Doe and Mr. John Smith

However, if they don't live together and you are mailing it to the man's address, his name can come first. 
    Mr. John Smith and Miss Jane Doe

• edited December 2011
    Oooo...good post! :)
    imageimage
    Finally...we are Mr. & Mrs.!!! WooHoo!!!

Planning Bio
    Married Bio (Work In Progress)
  • edited December 2011
    Good point.

Also, keep in mind that if the FI's friend appears on the guest list as a result of his relationship to your FI, the STD should be addressed to him first.
  • NoronNoron member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all PPs.  Also, I believe that using "and" on an invitation infers marriage.  So your best bet is to do:

Mr. FI's friend
    Miss or Ms. FI's fiancee
    555 Main Street
    Chicago, IL 60601

And I agree with berrytr - I also heard that the person you are closest to should be listed first on the invite (or STD in this case), regardless of sex.
    January 2, 2010
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    EDD October 10, 2013
  • edited December 2011
    I also see on the knot they say to address the invite alphabetically, so I think It can be done a lot of ways! 
    "List each name on a separate line on the outer envelope, alphabetically by last name,"

I think if you know the fiance well and they live together I would put the woman's name first, but if you truly do know just the guy, then put his name first. 

But agreed, you should put the names on separate lines. 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow! Thanks!

In case anyone is curious, I am going to do
    Mr. His Name
    Miss. Her Name
    Address
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards