Michigan-Grand Rapids

park for pictures???

Hi everyone.  I am looking for any suggestions that you might have for a nice place for outdoor pictures.  We are only looking for a few of B and G and a few with the wedding party before the ceremony.  We are having our ceremony near 28th and E. Beltline.  My first thought was Frederik Meijer Gardens, but they charge $300 minimum for any wedding photography.  With all of our other expenses, we were looking for something free :)  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

Re: park for pictures???

• edited December 2011

Are you looking for nature backgrounds?  If not, downtown GR has some really cool cityscapes; we are going to do our e pics there next weekend on the pedestrian bridge, next to some older brick buildings and by the river, good luck!

• b0710b0710 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking about a more natural setting.  However, using the cityscape is a good idea as well.  Thanks for suggesting that.
  • ajsbrs2011ajsbrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about Ada Township Park or somewhere along the Grand or Thornapple Rivers.  I know the park has an arboretum, so you'll have the natural setting. 
  • b0710b0710 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that :)
  • ajsbrs2011ajsbrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No problem - I am looking into park areas as well for pictures inbetween the ceremony and reception.  However, the ceremony and reception is in the Belding/Greenville area.  I really like Fallasburg Park with the Covered Bridge, but that might be a little far from 28th and East Beltline.
  • akhensley81akhensley81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are some really pretty parks in Rockford by the river/dam. Here's a link (clicky) to all the parks... I've seen wedding parties taking photos in Peppler park before.
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married at Fallasburg Park in Lowell which a lot of people have all sorts of pictures taken at, but if you go on accesskent.org (link below) you can search for county parks near your ceremony site.. you might not even have to pay to do those if there is not an event going on that day, if you did want to reserve it just to  make sure its only 50 dollars to reserve a picnic area for the whole day, but like I said you probably wouldn't even have to do that!

https://www.accesskent.com/ParkReservations/
  • b0710b0710 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great suggestions!  I am excited to check them out :)
  • revmistyrevmisty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest the Michigan State University Extention office gardens. It's like a miniature Meijer gardens and even has a waterfall, and several different arbors with beautiful views. Plus it's free to use. I posted photos of it earlier this year for someone who was looking for a nice place to elope and I've never taken the photos down, so you can take a quick look at it at http://www.grweddingofficiant.com/gardens/  Their actual MSUE website doesn't have photos of the gardens, but it's at http://www.msue.msu.edu/portal/default.cfm?pageset_id=27672&page_id=137956&msue_portal_id=25643

Hope that helps,

Misty Urban

• b0710b0710 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the MSU extension gardens suggestion also :)  You all have been great!
  • BWPLaurenBWPLauren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Calvin College would be perfect! If you wanted to go a little bit further, Aquinas is one of my favorite places for photos! Go to the Holmdene House. There is a great garden, pond, beautiful architecture and more.

Lauren
  • Lorielle22Lorielle22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have done some photography in Tassell Park is also on the Thornapple near old 28th and Cascade Rd. (less than a 10 min. drive from 2ith/Beltline.) I found a flikr site that has a few pics to give you an idea. In the park there are a couple of fun statues as well as some structures and nice landscaping to give interesting composition to your photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/queeniepics/2610772525/in/photostream/

There is also a good picture-taking area at the foremost building just south of M6 off of M37.  It has a white gazebo and quite a big waterfall on the premises.  (Beautifully landscaped).  Hope this helps!

Mother-of-the-Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards