Not Engaged Yet

S/O: Employer FB Password Issue

Back on the subject of personal Social Media affecting other areas:

CN: High School student has been expelled for posting a Tweet using the F word multiple times. It was allegedly not on school hours, and it was not regarding the school in any way. The school has said they can track their student's tweets regardless of if they are using a school computer or not. 

Thoughts? I think it's a bit crazy.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: S/O: Employer FB Password Issue

• Stina51286Stina51286 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    So much for the first amendment huh?

• That is completely crazy.  My question is how are they tracking their students' tweets anyway?

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_so-employer-fb-password-issue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:69986080-83df-4d17-b80b-79f11f9cff7ePost:0e0e2ca9-ff1e-47f8-b02a-d1a71af47b49">Re: S/O: Employer FB Password Issue</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is completely crazy.  My question is how are they tracking their students' tweets anyway?
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]

<div>That's a good question.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel like that must violate first amendment rights. Is the school following every single one of their students on twitter? That seems absolutely ridiculous.

• edited March 2012
    I do not like this Sam I am.
  • This has to be illegal, right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2012
    I think the school should go F themselves (themself?). 

Edited: Because I'm a dumbdumb.

• This is crazy.  I don't understand the extent of the punishment even if it was during school hours, it's still his PRIVATE account.  It's not like he swore at a teacher or plastered a book report with the F bomb.  Shiit, I don't understand the severity of the punishment even if he did swear at a teacher.  Do you have any idea how many teachers at my high school got cussed out on a daily basis?  Students got written up, maybe detention, but never expulsion.

Anniversary
  • I might, MAYBE, understand if it was a private or religious school that you are required to abide by a code of conduct at all times (I know there are quite a few universities that do this). But it pretty much seems like this is a public school system.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PhotoDerbyPhotoDerby member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    First off, I think it's totally crazy. All these issues with social media make me nervous. I police my social media obsessively. If he said it out loud, in school that is one thing. At home, from a twitter account is fine. Heck, I don't even think it's super terrible to be tweeting it IN school, that's better than blabbing it at the top of your lungs in the lunchroom or in front of a teacher. It just makes me ill and glad I don't have kids.

Side note/semi-related vent- I do hate that kids/teens don't seem to always understand that once something goes out on the internet, it is there forever and if you don't have the proper privacy setting anyone can see it. I think what happened to this kid is super stupid, but at the same time I would love to know if his twitter was public or not (I couldn't find that info). My friends have tons of younger siblings who don't realize their twitter and facebook are completely public, revealing every second of their lives to anyone who feels like googling their name. 

Not saying I agree with what happened to this boy. I hate it, I really do.

I don't know why I'm so touchy about this. It bugs me to no end. Maybe because when I was in middle school my mom gave me the same lecture on privacy and the internet after finding my livejournal and printing out every page and hanging them all over the house, with "What do you think that teacher/your sister/grandma would say if they found this and read it?" written underneath
    Photobucket
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I have to wonder if the same student had stood up on a table in a public place outside of school hours and shouted out their tweet rather than tweeting it, would they have gotten the same punishment?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards