Wedding Reception Forum

Disposable Cameras

I thought it could be fun for the guests, not to mention a great way to build photo books, if we had serveral disposable cameras on the tables. Does anyone see a reason to NOT do this?

Re: Disposable Cameras

• Yes I think there are many reasons not to do it.

For one, disposable cameras seem very dated and no one really uses them at all anymore. Most cell phone cameras take better pictures than disposables, not to mention that most/many people have digital cameras.

Guests will most likely bring their own cameras and may not even use the disposables, so it would be wasted money. The quality of the pics wont be great. Plus you may end up with a bunch of silly/stupid close-ups of kids' faces who grab them and are amused by doing stuff like that.

it is much easier (and free) to set up a wedding photo share site like on Wedding Turtle or Shutterfly and ask guests to share their digital wedding photos with you on the website, rather than taking a bunch of disaposable cameras to Walgreens to get developed.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • If you do a search on this you'll find out we all agree it's a waste of money.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto Summer.  Also, I don't know about other photo sharing websites, but on Shutterfly it's ridiculously easy to make an album once photos have been uploaded.   Like, they automaticalally format it for you and you can edit using drag and drop.  I made albums for our parents, and it took like half an hour to tweak the formatting and only cost $50 each to print and ship to them.    

Also remember that people will post pictures to facebook (whether you want them to or not).  This is a super-fast way to see photos from you wedding as quickly as the day after.  I promise you that people will take pics with their phones and digital cameras, and they will look a lot better than the old-school disposable cameras.
    DSC_9275
  • Disposable cameras are dated and expensive to develop.   I set up an email address specific to the wedding and printed free vistaprint business cards that said "Did you take any pictures today?  If so, please share them with us by emailing them to [email address].   I placed them in various spots around the venue.

Everyone has either a digital camera or iphone or something.  Plenty of folks will take pictures with those.
  • Disposable cameras at weddings result in the following things (spoken as a former Photo Technician from Walgreens):

1. Pictures of the floor
    2. Off-centered selfsies of your guests
    3. Dark/fuzzy pictures due to the poor quality flashes
    4. Several cameras with less than 5 pictures on them that you still have to pay to develop
    5. Several pictures of people's drinks/beer bottles on the table
    6. Several pictures of people's groins/butts/cleavage
    7. At least one entire roll of film that was either taken by your 5 year old cousin or looks like it was taken by your 5 year old cousin
    8. Disappointed brides who blame photo techs at Walgreens, yell at them for no reason, and refuse to pay for their precious memories.

• Alright, thank you everyone for sharing that!! Saves me money!
  • I was thinking about the same idea but after reading these posts. I decided against from using disaposable cameras for the reception. Thanks everyone! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a great alternative for disposable cameras!!  A friend of mine recently got married and she used Capsule, a mobile photo sharing app. She bought a wedding package online (which was cheap!) and had all the guests download the app.  Everyone took pics throughout the wedding and uploaded them to a private photo feed....it was so fun because everyone got involved. 

plus, you can have photo editorial approval using your phone instead of a disposable ;) lol

Check it out at www.trycapsule.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards