Alabama

XP AW: I'm back!!!

Whew!  What a long week this has been for me!

First, the shower from FMIL and her coworkers on Saturday.  I got a bunch of mostly random stuff.  Not that I'm ungrateful, but I'm kinda surprised at how little stuff I got from my registries.  My parents got me a set of pots and pans and a whole bunch of towels and linens.  FMIL's secretary got me the wine glasses and champaigne flutes I registered for.  A couple of other guests got me the toaster and hand mixer I registered for.  Other than that, I got a pewter tray with carvings of bunnies on it, a Scentsy warmer (which I can't have because of FI's allergies), and other assorted knick-knacks.  The whole thing was really awkward, because I didn't know anyone there and spent the whole time talking to FI and my parents because FMIL and her coworkers were all really cliquey.

Second, the keys to our first apartment on Sunday.  The complex we live in has two phases, an old one built in the 80s and a newer one built in the 90s.  We originally leased a 2 bed 2 bath in the old phase, because it was so much cheaper.  We rented a Uhaul, loaded it up, and went over to the 2 bed 2 bath to unload.  We had to return the Uhaul, so we unloaded in a hurry and returned it.  When we got back, we discovered all sorts of issues.  All 3 sinks leaked under the cabinet, the air conditioner was out, the blinds in the master bedroom fell off the wall when we touched them, there was a leak coming from the apartment above us into the master bedroom, all the cable hookups were painted over, there was black mold in the utility closet, and there was blood and hair in a bathroom sink.  Eww.  FI and I slept on the couch at my parent's house Sunday night while researching Alabama landlord-tenant laws.

Monday morning, we went to the leasing office with our list of grievances.  We told them everything that was going on, and they fell over backwards trying to help us.  They immediately started cutting us deals and showing us other apartments.  They took us to a 1 bed 1 bath with loft in the new phase.  The rent is only $10/month more, but it is WORLDS nicer.  It doesn't even look like the same apartment complex.  We have a 2-story living room with a vaulted ceiling that has to be 30 feet at the peak of the vault.  The only problem is that this apartment is on the thrid floor.  So FI, myself, and my parents and brother were already sore from having moved the day before, and now we had to do it AGAIN, up THREE flights of stairs.  Not to mention that the loft is the office, so the desk and chair had to come up another flight, lol.  We are all bruised, cut, scratched, and muscles pulled, lol.

Tuesday was supposed to be the day FI and I started on the massive wedding checklist I posted about last week on my month board.  Yeah, well, we were already a day behind due to the extra move.  We spent Tuesday buying necessities, putting together furniture, and setting up our new TV.  We also had to clear out the living room of boxes and bags in anticipation of our furniture delivery.

Yesterday we got our sectional (it's really just a 4-seat couch and the 4th seat is a chaise) and round swivel chair delivered.  The problem is that the living room in this apartment is significantly smaller than the other one and logistically problemsome.  We can't just lay it out however, because the stairs and patio doors can't be blocked.  And of course the cable hook up would have to be on the long wall across from the stairs.  So we decided to put the couch in front of the cable hook up, the TV along the stair wall, and turn the dining room area into a reading nook with the chair.  We're going to buy barstools to put at the bar in lieu of a dinette set.  Last night I went to visit a BM in the hospital (having her monthly chemo treatment).  Then FI and I went to pick up my SHINY NEW COMPUTER (it's a touch screen!!!) and stopped by David's Bridal to pick up the BM in the hospital's dress.  (I got a message from DB Tuesday night that my BM dresses were in and had to be picked up by the end of the week - obviously that one BM couldn't get hers on her own.)

Today the cable guy came to hook up our cable and internet and I have MISSED YOU GUYS!  Sadly, FI and I have done nothing at all wedding related, except attending a shower and picking up a BM dress.  I have decided that the long list I posted a while back will just be delayed a week and we'll handle it starting Tuesday.  So, if you read all that, remind me later to send you some cookies.  ;-)
image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
17/100 books read in 2013

Re: XP AW: I'm back!!!

• edited December 2011
    Also, special thanks to Uneek for watching the boards for me!  :D
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

• edited December 2011

Wow you've had a busy week. Hope your friend continues to get well. Glad your apartment situation got better too. Happy hopes for a productive week of wedding duties! :)  ok now send me my cookies! lol! jk! Have a great rest of the week! :)

• uneek1323uneek1323 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_alabama_xp-aw-im-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:74Discussion:5e87ea83-b4cd-476d-b2b0-cc829e76c17dPost:a48135a6-b823-4a7a-b54f-2e9b6d6c4c3c">Re: XP AW: I'm back!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, special thanks to Uneek for watching the boards for me!  :D
    Posted by sessionswedding[/QUOTE]
    Anytime love, anytime! :)
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • edited December 2011
    Holy. Cow. I hate moving to begin with, but doing it twice in two days would mentally and physically kill me. You're kind of like Wonder Woman.

Welcome back :)
  • edited December 2011

Lol, I'm not Wonder Woman, just "determined to get my money's worth" woman.  ;-)  Thanks for the welcome back, everyone!  :D

image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Here are some photos for you ladies!

The entryway and closet under the loft stairs.

View of the vaulted ceiling and windows from the living room.

The logisitcal issues I was talking about.  Pretty much the only thing that would fit along that wall was the TV stand.

View of the loft from the living room.

FI relaxing on the couch playing video games.

View of the vault and windows from the loft.

The dining room turned reading nook.  I'm really proud of this particular part of the apartment.  We're going to buy a couple of barstools to put at the breakfast bar in the foreground, that way we don't have to choose between eating on the brand new couch or eating in the floor, lol.  FYI, that chair swivels a full 360.  I have way too much fun with it, lol.

FI's root beer bottle collection gracing our cabinets, lol.  I'm loving the built-in microwave.  It leaves me so much more counter space!

Another view of the kitchen.  That door at the end leads to the laundry room, where our washer and dryer will eventuall live.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

• stahlkcstahlkc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The place looks great! Looks like you guys utilized the space the best way you could. I love the corner chair in your reading nook! It looks super comfy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards