Honeymoon Discussions

Booking a trip

My H and I weren't able to go on a honeymoon, so we're planning a trip this summer or early fall to Hawaii. I haven't ever really been on a vacation in over 10 years and I've never booked anything myself.

Does anyone recommend using travel sites like priceline or travelocity? Or should I go talk to a travel agent? I'm not really sure what the pros and cons of each are, this is so new to me.

Also, if anyone has been to Hawaii (Oahu), can you recommend any sites or activities?
Peggy

Re: Booking a trip

• We love our travel agent.  Haven't been to Hawaii with her- but all throughout the Caribbean.  She does a lot of honeymoons, so I'd imagine she has experience with Hawaii.
    Her email is: jenn@travelwisevirginia.com (She is based in DC area, but I'm in NYC and it has never been an issue--- plus I talk to the same person every time rather than a call center with the online sites.)
    Good luck!
  • I've never used a travel agent.  I always check Expedia or Travelocity first when I don't know the place very well.  That way you can get a sense for the pricing and star ratings of the hotels and compare flight times and rates of airlines.  I almost always book through the actual hotel/airline site, just because a lot of times you can get a better rate (and also check out what the AAA or government rate is if you qualify for either of those or others). 

I love the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Oahu, if you're looking for a hotel rec. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Thanks, ladies!

AllyG- I think I looked at the Hilton online and it was very nice.
    Peggy
  • I've used expedia to book trips many times and have never had a single problem. I did tons of research before our HM and expedia seemed to have the best deal on airfare and our resort. They were great to work with, our transfers went off without a hith and they even had a concierge type person call me before out trip to see if we needed help booking excursions. 
    Photobucket
  • If you're just looking for airfare you will come out less booking directly with the airline.  You might want to compare the prices you get by booking directly versus a package from Orbitz/Expedia/CheapTickets/etc.

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu and loved it although I do plan to go to a little more secluded area of Hawaii when we go back.  If you stay there get a room as high up as you can and go for the partial ocean view where you can also see some of the island in addition to the beachfront.

It's worthwhile going to the north side of the island.  Also worthwhile going snorkeling at Hanauma Bay.  Don't even bother shopping for souvenirs except at the flea market outside the stadium because they're overpriced at most other places.  If you must do Pearl Harbor, go early (you'll probably be up early from the time difference) but there isn't much to see and I'd skip it unless it's on your and/or his "bucket list."

If you stay at the Hilton, eat at Waikiki Cheeseburger across the street.  Also have breakfast at the Rainbow Lanai one day and try the french toast on Hawaiian bread.  The Hawaiian pizza from Round Table Pizza is also worth trying.  You haven't had pineapple until you've had it in Hawaii...after that nothing else will compare.  Also worthwhile going to eat at Don Ho's and it's in a cute shopping center.

FYI there is a very good public transportation system and we had a great experience taking "The Bus" to the palace downtown by the State Capital.  It can get a little pricey renting and parking a car and we had good luck having one for a few days to go to some of the places farther from the resort and then taking public transportation or pre-arranged excursions for the other days.

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards