New York

Out of Town Guests (kinda long..sorry)

Hi Girls,
I have several guests on my invite list that will be coming from at least 2 hours away from the venue.

I am finishing up sending out my STDs which are magnets. I am planning on blocking rooms at the venue and other surrounding hotels.

What I was wondering is how did you let your OOT guests know where there were rooms blocked? Also, when did you let them know, like what month in the timeline?  I have a lot of people who aren't technologically savvy, and my  wedding website might not be the best way to let them know.. I was thinking of sending a 'newsletter' to just the OOT guests that says where they can book a room.

Thoughts or suggestions..

TIA ! Smile
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Out of Town Guests (kinda long..sorry)

• edited December 2011
    3/4 of our guests are coming from pretty far out of town (6 hours away and more)

We posted accommodations/room block info on our website, sent STDs extremely early (shortly after we set our date)... maybe 8-9 months out.  We put our website info on the STD and kind of used certain chatty family members to spread the word about reserving rooms.
    We also sent our invitations very early (4 1/2 months out) and added an insert with all of the accommodations info.
    Newsletters might be a good idea... but I think there are other ways around it.  Is there a certain family member or two that are pretty organized and can help get everyone moving in the right direction on their rooms??
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • rsfan23rsfan23 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,
    Yes my mom would be good to spread the news and I'm pretty sure my FMIL would be able to help on that side.

Thanks.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everything Monica said. except that obviously my invites aren't out yet.. My STD's went out in Dec. with the website info, and on there was the room block. I was surprised that even my older aunts and uncles somehow managed to figure it out, haha.. otherwise FMIL spread it...
    Photobucket
    image 169 Made the cut!
    image 137 Are ready to party! image29 Are missing out! image 3 Are making me crazy!
  • edited December 2011
    I would print out all the hotel information and send it with the STD. That just helps make sure there is no excuse for NOT having the information! I like the others sent out the STD about 10 months ahead. I plan to send the invites about 12 weeks out just to make sure they have enough time to plan. We have about 90% of the wedding traveling 6 hours too!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Oh- also-- on the back of the Reply card, we asked the guests to let us know if they would need to reserve a seat on the party bus (long story)
    AND
    put something like
    "If you will be lodging in the Finger Lakes, please tell us the name of the hotel where you will be staying"

This is for two reasons:
    #1 to really make the guests think "Holy crap- I have to get my hotel" and hopefully have them make the reservations BEFORE they send back the RSVP... we are nervous b/c this is a holiday weekend and we want them to book their rooms asap.
    and
    #2 (insert devious laugh) we will have wicked awesome OOT welcome bags and we need to know how many to drop off and at which hotels... we have blocks at 3 different hotels

If you think your guests may need a little nudge... and a little "hurry up and get moving" then this may be a good idea for you to include on the RSVP.  It will make them think about it because they will have to fill in the blank with an answer.  Most people wouldn't want ot send it back with "I dunno" on that line.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi date twin!  :-)

I'm in the same boat as you!  The advice above all sounds good.  I just put the website on the STD, which has all the info.  And I figure we'll send out invitations at the 3 month mark that include the hotel info.  That should be time enough for everyone to figure it out!
    Anniversary
  • rsfan23rsfan23 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Everyone for your advice..it is extremely helpful and I'm definitely going to get the word out.

• rsfan23rsfan23 member
    edited December 2011
    sbolger...I noticed you on the September board too...where are you getting married?

I didn't realize we were date twins..awesome! :)
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  I'm getting married in Alpine, NY; it's about 25 minutes west of Ithaca where I live.  What about you?

Sarah
    Anniversary
  • rsfan23rsfan23 member
    edited December 2011
    Hi Sarah,
    I'm getting married in Rome, NY about 20 minutes from New Hartford where I live now.

Alyssa
  • rsfan23rsfan23 member
    edited December 2011

That's awesome! I love living here...everything is so close to my house.
    edited December 2011
    Awesome!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards