Jewish Weddings

A bunch of kippot questions

I've never paid much attention to kippot and I'd feel more confident ordering in bulk if I could get a sample first to make sure that the kippot we're getting for our guests are the right size and look nice and everything. So here are my questions:

1. What websites let you order reasonably priced samples? I'd like an actual kippa, not just a color swatch so that I can see the shape and size of it.

2. What is a good size to order? It seems like there are conflicting recommendations on different sites.

3. Do I even have time to order samples? My wedding is on April 17. How long did your orders take to come in?

4. The kippot we think we'd like are the plain suede ones. Is this a good choice? We don't know anything about what kind of kippot people like. We just thought these looked nice and are probably stiff enough to lay nicely on the head.

5. Would it be bad not to get the kippot imprinted with our names and wedding date? We're kind of minimalists and we're worried the text will be too big. I wish they could do the imprinting on the inside.

6. What about the clips to hold the kippot in place? How many does each wearer use? Any recommendations for the cheapest place to order these?

Thanks in advance. I'm so glad this board is here, sorry if I just asked some dumb questions.

Re: A bunch of kippot questions

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got ours from MazelTops.  They in fact did the imprinting on the inside.  You can order a sample swatch from them.  And the order we placed with them took only about two weeks to arrive.  We recommended them here, and several others have also ordered from them, all with good results.
  • edited December 2011
    Really, inside? That's awesome. : )

I know this is terribly nit picky, but do you have a picture, or do you know what font and font size they used?

Did you order clips from them too? And what size kippot did you order?
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely go with Mazeltops...the owner seems nice and professional.

We ordered plainer ivory satin ones from A1 Skullcap (www.skullcap.com), because his price was about 1/3 cheaper than Mazeltops for the same item, and they shipped out of Brooklyn. (We are in NJ, and Mazeltops is out of CA I think)

But, they screwed up the trimming part of the order...they forgot to put a top button on, so they credited us.  It doesn't look bad, but that's not the point.

Most companies do the imprinting on the inside, and if you're ordering quantity, it's free.

as for kippot clips, mazeltops sells them, or you could just use plain-old bobbie pins

As for sizing, the kippot Mazeltops sells are fine.  WIth a suede kippot, it will fit fine.  If you are ordering satin, try to go for the "new style" satin, as the old-style has a  lot more fabric and can bunch up on the head. 
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we used a1 skullcap, didn't have any issues though i wouldn't say i was overly impressed with them.  i've never seen any kippot that had the writing on the outside, that would be very strange to me. usually people use one clip each, we used bobby pins but those other metal clips are probably nicer.  i like the suede ones very much.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got the new style satin kippot in ivory (picture below). We got the clips from them, too, and all the guys seemed to be able to keep them on with just one clip.

Here is a sample from their Web site of the imprinting on the inside (not from our wedding, because I don't want our names posted publicly on the Internet, but ours looked quite similar):

:

• moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    how many did you order? I was figuring in enough for the men, but a friend mentioned that extras might be taken for souvenirs.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone. And thanks for the pictures 2dBride!
  • edited December 2011
    You should definitely order at least one for each male, and then maybe one for every third or fifth person.  We've gotten quite a lot of interest and since, in comparison to all the other costs it's not a big expense, we are getting one per guest.  Any extras he is more than happy to have on-hand for future use or to our shul.  But many female friends and family members expressed a desire to take one as a souvenir.
  • Leslie GesserLeslie Gesser member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi.  I'm Leslie from In Any Event.  My partner Eyal blogs for The Knot regarding Jewish Weddings (he's from Israel).

We always recommend J.Lowy (www.kipot.com).  Rush orders are accomodated with no extra charge and they offer free shipping if you order 60 or more. 

Suede are $1.95 each and available in 34 colors. 

The imprinting is always on the inside. We've never needed clips, but if you want them, J.Lowy carries them in black, white, silver or gold. 

Good luck!
  • larryfranklarryfrank member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We ordered 2 different benchers for our son's Bar Mitzvah. They ruined both.

They changed the font size on our benchers so that the date was several sizes larger than everything else.

They also recommended a text color which was a very low contrast and looked horrible.

When I called to talk to them, they said they saw nothing wrong and took no responsibility whatsoever.

Don't waste your time or money with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards