Wedding Reception Forum

open seating?

what are your thoughts on not having assigned tables for the reception? Let everyone sit where they want and with who they want to sit with? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: open seating?

• I prefer assigned tables, but Stage is right. Go with the norm in your circle. If there is no norm, you have to do assigned tables b/c open seating is evil. ;)
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Sooo yeah....mines is definitely open seating with the exception of our BP tables and immediate family tables....4 altogether...the rest is open
    ****The Future Mrs. Ikeard**** wedding countdown
  • I hate open seating.

I hate open seating more when certain guests get reserved seating and the rest are left to fend for themselves.  I don't think some guests should be treated differently than others.

Ergo - I like assigned tables.
  • I hate open seating, too.
  • I hate open seating for both of the reasons Joy and Liatris stated.

I also think having open seating is a waste of money because as Stage noted you have to have extra table and chairs which means spending more money on extra tablecloths and napkins as well as centerpieces.  Why not just assign tables (not seats) and save yourself some money to use elsewhere.

• My social group does assigned tables.   Maybe it's an east coast thing?

Not only is it what our group does, but we had to rent everything or the wedding.  Chairs, tables, lines, forks, etc.  Why need to spend the extra money needed for open seating?  Not that we had the space either.       Also we had some guests with dietary restrictions.  It was easier to tell the kitchen in advance which table had the special meals.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm also with those that hate open seating.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I hate open seating. 

Seating your guests at assigned tables where they will be comfortable with their dinner companions is part of being a good hostess.
  • i hate open seating

assign tables. really-it will take you maybe 2 hours to plan it out. do your guests a favor and do it :)

• I'm on Team I Hate Open Seating.

Make life easier for your guests by not expecting them to walk around looking for seats-especially if you're doing a buffet reception.  You don't say that you are, but carrying around a heavy tray of food across the room while keeping an eye open for seats, while wearing dress outfits and shoes, is not a happy experience.
  • I've been to both open and assigned.

My H friend who I had met a handful of times invited us to their wedding which was a really nice country club with open seating. I didn't know anybody but we were there early and there were a lot of open tables so we took the first one we saw. Well later into the reception, our table was full but we kept getting asked if we were friends of the bride, well I guess the grooms family all sat in the right side, while the brides family sat in the left. I met new people and it was really great but it was very awkward in the beginning. My wedding was open seating and all family so we didn't have any issues but we did have three open seats but I had extra chairs for everyone to sit.

I was not a fan of assigned. Both times; we were assigned to people we don't normally talk to and have nothing in common. I mean these are family functions so I get the whole cousins with cousins but if my BIL/SIL are also invited, why can't you sit us all together.
  • We had open seating, it was perfectly fine.  We did have plenty of extra seating though, so no one risked not being able to find a spot to sit with their spouses or friends. Our reception was also pretty casual, so the open seating was appropriate for the venue.

I am usually not a fan of assigned seating, because I don't appreciate being told who to sit with, and I always have ended up sitting with people who bore me to tears.  But I would go with whatever is common in your circle.
  • I am doing assigned seating for my wedding. There are some family conflicts that would just be easier to deal with if they are assigned seats away from one another. Plus it lets you be creative! A co-worker of mine is making cake pops for the place cards, and we are naming the tables after places my FI and I have been together. It will take some thought, but I think it's worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm an adult I don't need assigned seating.
  • I agree with stage.

However, I prefer assigned tables because every wedding I have been to with open seating has EXACTLY enough seats for the guests.  If you do open seating, do it as stage recommended and you'll be fine. 

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• I recommend assigned tables.  Sometimes open seating works, sometimes not.  If it's the norm for your circle, then by all means, let them choose.  If you assign tables, just make sure you do it thoughtfully.  At my cousins wedding, my ENTIRE family was sitting at another table nearby, while my fiancee and I were stuck with strangers.  It was so awkward and horrible.  Our family at the other table felt so bad for us, and asked the staff for extra chairs so we could eat our dinner with them.  It was crowded, but much better!  I always appreciate when couples take the time to do a thoughtful seating arrangement.  It doesn't make me a feel like a child.  When it's done right, It tells me that they care about the comfort of the guests, as well as the practicality.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards