Honeymoon Discussions
Options

New England HM ideas

Hi!  FI and I are planning on starting our HM in Boston and travelling north to Maine.  Anyone have any must-see or must-do ideas?  FI wants to go deep sea fishing on a charter but other than that, we like museums/zoos/aquariums, maybe go hiking one day (FI not into it too much but if I'm going fishing, he's hiking) but we don't know where to go or what to see!  Any advice would be great. TIA

ETA: We're going late May/early June 2012 for 1 week and budget is $2500
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New England HM ideas

• Options
    Where in Maine are you headed? Depending on how far north you plan to go, I hear that Acadia National Park is really nice. 

Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_new-england-hm-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:89de7398-80c5-428b-85a8-ca444517ec59Post:4db57231-580f-4758-8175-4a2c8f441182">Re: New England HM ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where in Maine are you headed? Depending on how far north you plan to go, I hear that Acadia National Park is really nice. 
    Posted by Osterizer[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Agree, Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor are great places to go.

</div>
  • Options
    I think Portland ME and Portsmith NH are fun towns to stop in.
    In the Boston area we have lots to do. Good musems, it's a great city to walk and explore in, good places to eat. If you wanted, you could go down to th Cape/Plymouth.
  • Options
    In Boston, I would check out the Aqurium, take a Duck boat tour, and if you're into baseball, take a tour of Fenway (or even check out a game if you can get tickts and they;re in town.).

Driving up to Maine, stop in Portsmouth. It's a great city with a very charming downtown and you could check out Strawberry Banke.

In Maine, York and Ogunquit. If you like ice cream (and who doesn't?), go to Browns by the Nubble Lighthouse (York). Be warned, they give you ALOT. Then I would continue on up the coast. Portland is a great city to check out and if you like shopping, Freeport is a cute town. LL Bean is there and they are open 24 hours now, I think. Then you could end your trip in Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. From here you can go deep sea fishing and go on a whale watch. There are some cute B&Bs too.

HTH and have fun!

(ps...all town listed are along the coast)
  • Options
    Boston: JFK Museum, Old North Church, North End for Italian food, Faneuil (sp?) Hall

On the way up the coast of MA, go to Salem where the witch trials were held. Cool stuff there.

New Hampshire: anything along the coast

Maine: York Beach is incredibly beautiful, and in addition to the ice cream place above, try Goldenrod's for candy. They have these "half dips" that are mints half dipped in dark chocolate that are to die for, as well as candy coated to look like rocks and shells.

I planned my honeymoon, and other trips, using www.tripadvisor.com. It is a forum for hotels, restaurants, scenic sites, written by real travelers. I have never found a mistake whatever the "top 10" places are.

Good luck. I'm jealous, I still have to take my hubby to New England.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    If you hit Southern Maine you must stop in Kittery for the outlets and Yummie's candy shop. Also, make your way to Ogunquit (we go here every year and I love it here!!) Lil shops everywhere, great food (The Wild Blueberry and Egg and I have amazing breakfast, Barnacle Billy's, Oarweed, and then Mike's Clam Shack in Wells are all great choices for dinner), trolley rides all over town, antique shopping, also they do have deep sea fishing down at Perkin's Cove. It's just a nice little town on the ocean, we usually stay at the Gorges Grant but most of their hotels are reasonable and nice. I have heard Anchorage by the Sea is a really nice place to stay. Not a big hiker but further up in Maine you definitely have your pick of that. Also think of New Hampshire (the Flume, White Mountains, Mt. Washington etc). The Woodstock Inn is cute up there and it's attached to a brewery that has amazing pub food. I live in Northern MA and all of these places are within about 2 hours or less driving. Obviously mid Maine will take you a lot longer though...
    Others gave you a lot on what to do in Boston, If you want to have a really nice expensive dinner go to No. 9 Park (my husband asked me to marry him there <:) Also Hotel Marlowe is a fun, very clean, affordable hotel. It's next to the train, Cambridgeside Galleria, and Science Museum.
    Fenway is good and you can take a tour of that on a Duck boat  if they are not playing I believe. Also, the North End is fun and has really good pastry shops!!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I would skip NH's coast (it's very small) and head to the Lakes Region &/or the Mountains.  There are some great hikes in the White Mt National Forest, or you could drive the Mt Washington Auto Road which at the top, boasts the highest point in New England.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I agree, head to a game at Fenway, go to the Aquarium, there is Franklin Park Zoo but I haven't been there since I was like 10. Stop by Gloucester, MA.. you can probably do your fishing trip from there (If you have ever seen the Perfect Storm it's based on Gloucester) pack a jacket though because late May early June can still be pretty cold here! Also you can get a water taxi and head out to the Boston Harbor Islands - George's Island is an old civil war fort complete with its own ghost story and amazing views! Goodluck!

Fishing - http://gloucesterma.com/Attractions.cfm?c=54
    Boston Harbor Islands - http://www.bostonharborislands.org/
    June 2013 January Sig - Honeymoon Destination
    Negril, Jamaica!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Definitely end your trip (and plan to have a couple of days) in Acadia National Park. My FH and I grew up there and wouldn't want to be anywhere else is the summer! If you are starting in Boston I would stay in the Fanuiel Hall area (Marriott's Custom house and Copley Place would be the best!) We like to walk the Freedom Trail starting from Charlestown's Bunker Hill Monument and ending at the Boston Common. It’s only a mile but you will see some of the best parts of Boston this way! You can also park for free during the day in Charlestown which is a rare find for Boston! Once you leave Boston I would make my next stop Portsmouth, NH. It’s an adorable coastal city with small downtown feel. We stay at the Courtyard Marriott which isn't walking distance to downtown but an easy taxi ride and a simple clean hotel. If you want to stay downtown then the best hotels are the Hilton Garden Inn and the Shereton Harborside Portsmouth. Make sure you walk through Strawberry Banke! I personally hate the touristy beaches of Southern Maine- they are overcrowded and often dirty! Kennebunk is an exception! Although still busy their beaches are clean and picturesque! Kennebunkport is another must see little Maine town with great restaurants and local shops. From there I would head straight to Bar Harbor. It is a busy touristy downtown but you are going ahead of the busy season. Buy a park pass ($20 for a week) so that you can drive the entire park loop road. On your way around you will want to drive up Cadillac Mountain (sunset is particularly nice) Stop for the best lunch you will ever have at the Jordon Pond House where you sit under an umbrella outside overlooking the pond and mountains. After lunch you can walk the mile loop around the pond- easy terrain and very scenic. Sand beach is the only "sandy" beach on the island but is worth going to if you want some beach time although I wouldn't plan on swimming there in May! Our Favorite hike, where we got engaged :) is Beehive. It’s a steep ladder trail but not too difficult in the end for the rewarding view! If you want to get out on the water I would take an evening sail on the Margaret Todd, you can bring your own wine, cheese and crackers to add to the romance! There is always live music and 2nd to Cadillac Mountain it’s the best way to see the sunset!
    Sorry for the extended answer, I could go on and on with things to do- I guess you can tell I love my hometown!! Please let me know if I can offer you any more advice!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards