July 2012 Weddings
Options

Planning

I was just wondering how far everyone was in their planning for their weddings... PEople have teased me because we have deposite on the reception hall, church and photographer.  It is basically all planned out.  I am a super organized person though and I wanted to make sure we got the date since it was so important to us.  So I wanted to know how far along everyone else was??

Re: Planning

• Options
    People are saying I am way ahead of the game too, but I don't care. I have been waiting to be engaged for so long, that I knew I would be like this and so did my FI. To answer your question though, we only got engaged 1 week ago today, so we don't have anything booked yet. But we have an appointment to meet with a few vendors and look at a few venues. I am not worried about what people think, because at the end of the day, it is MY DAY, and I want it to be perfect. I also have my whole bridal party picked out since I have known for so long, but I haven't asked any of them yet.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I'm so glad someone asked this, because I've been wondering if I'm getting ahead of myself or if I'm behind! :)

We haven't done a whole lot of planning yet, although I have plenty of ideas of what I want. We're getting married in either Quebec City or Montreal, so we're going to plan a long weekend to scout out venues later this summer. I think once we have a venue selected, I will be able to start making more concrete plans. I have a friend who is a designer, so she's already started designing our STDs, invites, TY notes, etc. That's about it so far!

I thought about starting to look at dresses, but do you think 2 years is too early to start? I'd hate to either find something I love but wait and have it not be avaialble any more, or to wait and feel rushed. Has anyone started dress shopping yet?
  • Options
    haha... I guess I should have read the other post on dresses before posting my question here! :P
  • Options
    bblouinbblouin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I think it is perfectly normal not to have much planning done at this stage.  One of the main reason we put deposits on the reception venue and have paid for the church is becuase the date was so ipmortant to us ( my grandparents anniversary), we did not want to wait and have people say "Oh well that date is booked, how about a different day!".  Also the place where our reception is has free wedding tasting the first thursday of every other month, we can go to as man y as we want and possiblye win money off on our reception so by starting now it equals more chances to win!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:f97cf840-a2d8-441f-a031-9dd7b3b549d7Post:c7abde47-9cae-4168-aa16-0f9f7dbafb7b">Re: Planning</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so glad someone asked this, because I've been wondering if I'm getting ahead of myself or if I'm behind! :) We haven't done a whole lot of planning yet, although I have plenty of ideas of what I want. We're getting married in either Quebec City or Montreal, so we're going to plan a long weekend to scout out venues later this summer. I think once we have a venue selected, I will be able to start making more concrete plans. <strong>I have a friend who is a designer, so she's already started designing our STDs, invites, TY notes, etc. </strong>That's about it so far! I thought about starting to look at dresses, but do you think 2 years is too early to start? I'd hate to either find something I love but wait and have it not be avaialble any more, or to wait and feel rushed. Has anyone started dress shopping yet?
    Posted by LanaChristine226[/QUOTE]

you're very lucky to have someone doing your invites!!!  I would LOVE! for someone to be able to do that for me, so I don't have to worry!
  • Options
    I've been wondering teh SAME thing- since I got engaged at the end of May I've looked through a handful of magazines, joined this website, looked at venues(mostly online), and done a quick try on of dresses just for style sake and a lot of people are telling me I'm working too far ahead and Im going to change my mind in the next two years.  But then I read things like- you should order your dress 8months to a year in advance and some venues book up 1.5 to two yrs in advance and I feel like I should start moving!  I'm also really type A and organized so I feel better when I am planning than just trying to ignore it.   It's so good to hear about others (like bbliouin!) that are in the same place.  Overall I'm pretty much following cheerinchick82's schedule but in the fall I am finishing my masters with a full time internship while working part time so I know I won't have a lot of time to plan so I am doing a little more over the summer than is prob. necessary. Oh well if ppl think I am crazy that's too bad!  Planning is fun and having 2 years to take our time and try out different options is the best part of a longer engagement!

• Options
    I am very much a Type A organized "control freak" as well. So much so when I was a child and would go to people's houses I would organize their spices in alphabetical order, sald dressings as well.  I still do haha.  My family is not the least bit suprised I have as much done as I do since I need to feel "in control" at all times and for me, not having deposits down I would feel out of control.  I am odd, I know this... lol
  • Options
    Bblouin: HA! I'm the same way!  When I was little, shopping with my mom I would do the same thing as you in the grocery store, or I would put all the clothes in order of color, size etc on the clothes racks at the mall while she shopped.  Totally "Monica"-esque from Friends lol 
  • Options
    We have most of the big day planned, except for little details. It was pretty easy for us though. The way I see it is the more you get done early, the less you'll have to stress and worry when it actually comes time to book things.
    Visit Vineyard.weddings.com
  • Options
    See we have already booked everything to ensure the date and the price things are now, incase they go up.
  • Options
    I've been running into the issue where some places WON'T lock their prices for me.  It's super annoying!! grrr
  • Options
    That isn't right!!  Normally places lock in the prices for you...hmm...odd...I hope you have better luck!
  • Options
         Ive got quite a bit of basics done like my colors,  figuring out my dress style , what kind of food, rough guest list, bridal party wear, rough music wants etc. Next week Im tackling venues to start looking at for our renewal.
         I planned my wedding in 5 months (no there wasnt a "reason" lol even though our families swore up and down thats just how we decided to do it and things just felt rushed and disorganized, didnt run as smoothly for me so i was all about taking lots of time to plan that way everything will be exactly the way we want it. Guess thats the control freak in me :)
         Planning is a  huge chunk of the fun and besides I got the best advice from my DH Grandma get everything done 2 weeks before...all the little details done because the two weeks before the wedding are just a blur and with any luck you might actually get a chance to relax and enjoy the excitement/nerves.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Sometimes I think that I'm getting too much done for the planning, but then I remember that we our paying for our wedding ourselves so the more we get done now the less we have to worry about when our wedding finally rolls around.  We have a rough draft of our guest list, although my FI keeps adding to the list.  We have found a venue that we will put a deposit on in the next couple of weeks.  I have a lot of help coming from my family such as my grandfather is going to marry us, and my uncle is a DJ so those two items are checked off our list.  I have picked out the type of flowers we are going to use, and a friend of the family is going to give me a really good deal on those.  I am just so excited!

• Options

I got engaged a little over a month ago and i just booked a venue today!  everyone thinks that i am way ahead of myself but the venue i chose actually has one of their rooms booked for my date.  lucky for me it wasnt the room i wanted!  i also have a church and i am working on a photographer now.  i dont think it's ever too early to get things booked because it gives plenty of time if something were to happen that plans needed to change. 

• Options
    I wasn't planning until my mother got excited. She has been sending me tons of ideas for everything, and I have fallen in love with a few things. I have my flowers picked out (blue hydrangeas and white stephanotis), my dress picked out (unless I change my mind, otherwise Suzanne Vidal by Maggie Sottero) as well as a few venues. I know what I want for favors as well. I live in florida, but we are getting married in New York. I figure it is a good idea to be way ahead of schedule.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:f97cf840-a2d8-441f-a031-9dd7b3b549d7Post:c7abde47-9cae-4168-aa16-0f9f7dbafb7b">Re: Planning</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so glad someone asked this, because I've been wondering if I'm getting ahead of myself or if I'm behind! :) We haven't done a whole lot of planning yet, although I have plenty of ideas of what I want. We're getting married in either Quebec City or Montreal, so we're going to plan a long weekend to scout out venues later this summer. I think once we have a venue selected, I will be able to start making more concrete plans. I have a friend who is a designer, so she's already started designing our STDs, invites, TY notes, etc. That's about it so far! I thought about starting to look at dresses, but do you think 2 years is too early to start? I'd hate to either find something I love but wait and have it not be avaialble any more, or to wait and feel rushed. Has anyone started dress shopping yet?
    Posted by LanaChristine226[/QUOTE] I think that if you find a dress you REALLY REALLY like then you  shouldnt have a problem, bc people are telling me the same thing, that i might change my mind but I  KNOW the one i found is IT! i already ordered it, and it should be in on the 1st it s corset so i can lose or gain weight and it will work. i think its best to be as organized as possible, so good for you!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards